Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New guy here. I have a 2013 QX56 with about 120 miles on it. Its been acting strange so we took it to Infinity. Its been diagnosed with a fried "can gateway module". Im pretty handy with a wrench but I dont know what this is. Infinity wants $1200. Can someone explain what it is, where it is and is it a diy type job?

Thanks for any help. Jason.

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
basically speaking, the gateway module is a module that interconnects data from various systems on the CANBUS network in the car. usually this may be the BCM or Body Control Module. for example, if you have your radio set to where it gets louder as the speed increases, the radio gets this data from the CANBUS to the BCM which then sends a signal to the radio to increase volume. when the speed slows down, the BCM sends this signal to the radio to lower. if the gateway module was faulty, it would prevent this signal from getting to the radio.

Ive attached the page to show where the possible location is for the gateway.

REMOVAL

1. Remove glove box assembly.
2. Disconnect CAN gateway connector.
3. Remove mounting screw to remove CAN gateway.
4. Reverse procedure to install.

also this:

CAUTION:
• When replacing CAN gateway, you must perform “WRITE CONFIGURATION” with CONSULT.
• Complete the procedure of “WRITE CONFIGURATION” in order.
• If you set incorrect “WRITE CONFIGURATION”, incidents might occur.
• Configuration is different for each vehicle model. Confirm configuration of each vehicle model.
• Never perform “WRITE CONFIGURATION” except for new CAN gateway.

what this means is, even if you can purchase and replace the module (which seems easy based on the location), it will need to be programmed to the specific car its going into. to do this, you need access to nissans consult III software. this is likely why its expensive.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great reply. Thank you. Looks like im out $1200 but the repairs are covered if something happens. Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
please keep us informed on the repair and procedure, and also if you have time, share what things were going wrong. it may help someone else down the road who has this issue.
in my memory, i don't recall seeing anyone with this issue before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here is a list of things that stopped working.
Sonar
Rear hatch
Radio blutooth
Driver seat memory
Occasionally it would not start right away
Air ride does not work
And the transmission rpms will surge as if it is slipping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts