Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - I'm on my 3rd failed attempt at getting these tires installed on the OEM 22's. They're all struggling and end up throwing in the towel and giving me back the truck on stock rubber.

Tires are Venom Power Terra Hunters.

Any thoughts? It doesn't seem like a huge ask to get these on, but I haven't mounted tires this size, and haven't worked in a shop in a good 15+ years. Getting pretty frustrated... almost to the point I'll just buy a full wheel/tire package and be done with it. Anyone have similar issues? Thanks!

Justin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the exact reason that the shop states for why they are unable to mount them?
The first shop said that the sidewalls were just too stiff and they couldn't get them on - the second didn't say exactly why but stated they think the tires are too wide (which we know isn't the case, and wouldn't prevent them from getting them on the rim anyway) so I'm guessing they couldn't get them over the lip either. Here's the link to the tires.

4 Tires Venom Power Terra Hunter R/T 305/45R22 118T XL RT Rugged Terrain | eBay

I'm suspecting I'll have to find a specialty shop that sells similar setups? First was a reputable mom & pop, second was NTB, 3rd (4th and 5th now..) just turned me away saying they can't do 22's.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Strange. I do not have any wisdom for you other than to triple check the printed tire size on the tires. They could have shipped the incorrect size of maybe the labels on the tires are incorrect versus what the tire size actually is.
What size are the OEM tires?
Very odd that NTB wasn't able to handle this.

Do you have a 4wheel Parts near you, or a shop that specializes in heavier vehicles like buses, dump trucks, etc...?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I double checked the tires, and they're correct (at least the stickers and the stamping). I suppose I could also measure them to make absolutely sure. Which I'll do.

The OEM are 275 50 22. These are obviously wider but overall diameter is pretty much exact. I was surprised NTB couldn't either. I'll look around and see what other options may exist to get these on. I'm outside ST Louis and it's nothing but farms and trucks... so there's GOT to be something! Thanks for the replies!

So, anyone interested reading: NTB struggled with trying to get one tire on for an hour. Ultimately it didn't work. The issue is the width and the stiffness of the sidewall. First bead goes over fine but there isn't enough "give" once on, to get the second over the lip. Not sure if it's simply the tool(s) they're using, skill, a combination of that, or the realization that these tires just won't work. That said, I guess I have 3 choices: 1) Keep trying, 2) Sell these and get a wheel/tire combo, or 3) get a set of wider 22's with an offset that will accommodate the 305's with minimal mods/trimming.

·
Administrator
6,409 Posts
as an FYI i had a set of nexen and pirelli 305 45 22 mounted on my 22 inch factory qx56 wheels over the time I had that car with never an issue on mounting. ive read others who had no issues on another infiniti forum as well. in my case, i went to a local performance tire shop not a typical franchise like ntb.

i think its lack of experience and/or machine limitations. id try a local performance tire shop.

·
Registered
2021 Nissan Armada SL
135 Posts
as an FYI i had a set of nexen and pirelli 305 45 22 mounted on my 22 inch factory qx56 wheels over the time I had that car with never an issue on mounting. ive read others who had no issues on another infiniti forum as well. in my case, i went to a local performance tire shop not a typical franchise like ntb.

i think its lack of experience and/or machine limitations. id try a local performance tire shop.
Yeah - you probably need to find an off-road shop, someone that’s worked on atypical wheel/tire setups. You shouldn’t have an issue with these being mounted if the rim size and inner diameter match.

But, I like the tires. Keep us updated.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
The majority of tire shops, especially franchise/nationwide chain stores might not have the equipment to mount certain tire sizes. Worse, some of those machines are dated and can actually end up scratching or marring the surface of the wheels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all - I'm on my 3rd failed attempt at getting these tires installed on the OEM 22's. They're all struggling and end up throwing in the towel and giving me back the truck on stock rubber.

Tires are Venom Power Terra Hunters.

Any thoughts? It doesn't seem like a huge ask to get these on, but I haven't mounted tires this size, and haven't worked in a shop in a good 15+ years. Getting pretty frustrated... almost to the point I'll just buy a full wheel/tire package and be done with it. Anyone have similar issues? Thanks!

Justin
Sounds like they need to place the rim face down onto the tire mounting machine in order to mount the tires on to it.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Mounting over-width tires is always going to be a challenge, especially on larger rim sizes with lower profiles (yes, 45s are considered "low profile").

The tires need to be warm enough that they aren't stiff (so if you're trying to mount them in Montana in the winter when they've sat outside for an hour, good luck!); you need all of the "helpers" of a professional tire mounting machine (and then sometimes even more than that); and you need someone willing to do unorthodox mounting methods (using a ¼" fuel hose in the bead to help seat the bead).

You won't find any of those at your normal national tire places. Look around for a place that does custom wheels who is willing to work with you. Locally-owned places will often take on jobs the national chains won't touch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A few years ago I helped my buddy install some tires on BMW rims that were really low profile and really stiff .
It took 2 of us putting a lot of our weight on to get them on the rims , Ironically he called me because his part time staff was no help LOL .
I can't remember now if we also used a rim clamp that was supposed to hold the bead from slipping .
This was a small mom and pop tire sale and repair only shop.
I remember him saying he hoped he never had to take them back off the rims LOL

If you are at all concerned concerned with ride quality I would strongly advise against low profile
I find a daily driver you feel poor road quality to much plus you are more apt to damage a rim

·
Administrator
6,409 Posts
with full respect :) gotta disagree with you. the 35 series tires , i had two sets, never gave me a harsh ride or poor road quality. also comparing an suv to a sedan is not fair. what size wheels /tires did your friend have?

i am well aware some of us are more sensitive to road handling than others, but even with that said i never felt a harsh ride on the qx. with the HBMC on board, that vehicle was smooth....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like they need to place the rim face down onto the tire mounting machine in order to mount the tires on to it.
They did mention ‘reverse mount’? But I found a truck spot and they knocked it out in a jiffy!
Mounting over-width tires is always going to be a challenge, especially on larger rim sizes with lower profiles (yes, 45s are considered "low profile").

The tires need to be warm enough that they aren't stiff (so if you're trying to mount them in Montana in the winter when they've sat outside for an hour, good luck!); you need all of the "helpers" of a professional tire mounting machine (and then sometimes even more than that); and you need someone willing to do unorthodox mounting methods (using a ¼" fuel hose in the bead to help seat the bead).

You won't find any of those at your normal national tire places. Look around for a place that does custom wheels who is willing to work with you. Locally-owned places will often take on jobs the national chains won't touch.
appreciate the info! I finally got them done at a specialty shop. They had it done in no time. 200 out the door mount/balance and alignment check. All is well!

A few years ago I helped my buddy install some tires on BMW rims that were really low profile and really stiff .
It took 2 of us putting a lot of our weight on to get them on the rims , Ironically he called me because his part time staff was no help LOL .
I can't remember now if we also used a rim clamp that was supposed to hold the bead from slipping .
This was a small mom and pop tire sale and repair only shop.
I remember him saying he hoped he never had to take them back off the rims LOL

If you are at all concerned concerned with ride quality I would strongly advise against low profile
I find a daily driver you feel poor road quality to much plus you are more apt to damage a rim
This is definitely a first for me on a truck.. I’ve lived the harsh ride of sports cars most my life. These actually ride wondefully - although they aren’t much off from the stock size. Grip is awesome and just a little hum on the road. So far so good. 😁

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Sky

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those look really good. Not enough sidewall for me but they look sharp. Like the black fender vents too, I think I’ll paint-to-match mine to the body too (silver). Thanks for posting up the pics.
Thanks! Honestly I’d like a tad more sidewall too. I was worried about rubbing and was trying to avoid any trimming. After this install, I’m sure I could get alittle more meat under there.

I can’t stand chrome on black in most applications so that was the first thing to go. Also need to get rid of the roof racks - or at least take them off and paint them too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@jdhuegel1 did those side vents just pop out?

I have a black 2018 and yours has motivated me to black them out.
I believe so - although I only vinyl wrapped them which was a total pain (without removing).. same with the door handles. Over the winter I plan to paint them all. I painted the grill and fog light housings to get a feel for it and like that way more than the wrap.

@jdhuegel1 did those side vents just pop out?

I have a black 2018 and yours has motivated me to black them out.
here’s how the grill and fogs look painted. The vinyl at the top of the windshield came off..need to fix that haha
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts