Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started having an irregular issue with the shift selector where we couldn't shift the mada up past neutral into reverse or park. At first it would happen for a minute or two then be ok for a few weeks. Then it got worse, more regular and stuck for longer periods - eventually lasting days.

Online searches for the fix revealed lots of people who couldn't get OUT of park, but we couldn't get into it. Finally figured out that this is the same shift lock mechanism that keeps the shift selector in park. This meant that the manual release would work to let us shift into reverse or park (this is the little circle cover on the shift selector finishing plate that pops out and allows you to insert a key to manually hold the shift lock open).

Took the truck to the dealer and they couldn't troubleshoot the problem. After a few hrs of diagnostics at 100/hr they wanted to 'try' replacing the shift selector mechanism.

Looking at the manuals in detail I read up on the shift lock function and pulled the center console to get a closer look and start to troubleshoot parts. I couldn't find anything wrong with any of the switches or solenoids on the shift selector... all tested a-ok per the service manual tests so I took a shot and replaced the SHIFT LOCK CONTROLLER. @ about $80 it was cheaper than sending it back for more diagnostics. This appears to have fixed the problem (knock on wood) I've gone several weeks without the issue returning.

The shift lock controller is a simple circut board that takes inputs from other control units/switches/sensors and tells the shift lock solenoid whether to be open or closed. A fault or short in this board can cause an incomplete ground or signal to the shift lock solenoid preventing it from releasing.

It seems to be a rare issue but just in case someone else comes across it...hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Where is the part located? I just did one for our Honda Accord and it was a switch that I had to replace that's connected to the brake pedal. Our shifter was stuck in Park and I had to depress a button by popping off a cover on the shifter to get it out of park. I'm glad it's finally resolved now. Part was around $40 but the mechanic was charging over a $100 to replace the part.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The parts manual suggested it was in the engine bay...but the shift lock control unit is actually located under the dash on the pass side. Just pull the glove box and lower dash and you'll see it on the left side up near the center console/hvac controls. It's a white-ish rectangular box with a 10-pin connector.

The part you are talking about on your honda sounds like the brake light switch... this is one of the switches that sends a signal to the shift lock control unit but it's not the same thing.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Interesting...My Armada just started doing this intermittently the last few weeks....I hope it doesn't take a while to get to the module

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I've got the same issue. I'm stuggling to find the part number so I can search up the part without replacing the entire assembly as the dealer recommended. If anyone has the part number or the magic incantation necessary to find what I need, please share! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
I think this is the part number.

Part Number: 319417S115

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
anyone get pics of where exactly this thing is at?

im gonna tackle this soon, as my cable and end of cable is all intact fine...

i had the vehicle running and console apart - then i would hit the break pedal and see the plastic pieces push out of the way electronically. i would repeat pushing and letting go of the brake pedal until the intermitent failure would occur again and tehre is nothing physically keeping it from working so it must be electronically as hitting the brake pedal signals the acutator to open close....

actuator seems to be working pushing and pulling the parts just fine, so im gonna go with what you did and buy the controller. the SHIFT LOCK CONTROLLER.

-J

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
The correct part for the shift lock control unit from Nissan is 285407S00A.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Started having an irregular issue with the shift selector where we couldn't shift the mada up past neutral into reverse or park. At first it would happen for a minute or two then be ok for a few weeks. Then it got worse, more regular and stuck for longer periods - eventually lasting days.

Online searches for the fix revealed lots of people who couldn't get OUT of park, but we couldn't get into it. Finally figured out that this is the same shift lock mechanism that keeps the shift selector in park. This meant that the manual release would work to let us shift into reverse or park (this is the little circle cover on the shift selector finishing plate that pops out and allows you to insert a key to manually hold the shift lock open).

Took the truck to the dealer and they couldn't troubleshoot the problem. After a few hrs of diagnostics at 100/hr they wanted to 'try' replacing the shift selector mechanism.

Looking at the manuals in detail I read up on the shift lock function and pulled the center console to get a closer look and start to troubleshoot parts. I couldn't find anything wrong with any of the switches or solenoids on the shift selector... all tested a-ok per the service manual tests so I took a shot and replaced the SHIFT LOCK CONTROLLER. @ about $80 it was cheaper than sending it back for more diagnostics. This appears to have fixed the problem (knock on wood) I've gone several weeks without the issue returning.

The shift lock controller is a simple circut board that takes inputs from other control units/switches/sensors and tells the shift lock solenoid whether to be open or closed. A fault or short in this board can cause an incomplete ground or signal to the shift lock solenoid preventing it from releasing.

It seems to be a rare issue but just in case someone else comes across it...hope this helps.
hey Kreutz73 so I read your post this week and called the dealer and asked for the part and he wanted to charge me $778.00 for the part do you have a part number for this part? if so will you share it with me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts