Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Armada Platinum that just turned 80k miles and runs like a top. We haven't had any issues with it to this point, but I came across information about a tendency for the cats on these vehicles to break down and have particulate sucked back up into the engine, destroying it. I'm just curious if anyone knows how common this is and what preventative steps can be taken to avoid it? We have an extended warranty that still has another two years left on it, so wouldn't want to do anything prior to it expiring. Still, I want to have a plan in place as soon as it does, just to be safe.

Appreciate any feedback!

·
Vendor
211 Posts
Factory exhaust manifolds cracking, causing a CEL and eventually leading to cat failure is very common. There is nothing you can do to prevent it. Particulates getting sucked back up into the engine and destroying it is fairly rare, but DOES happen in extreme cases.

Due to the cost of replacement Nissan manifolds and the fact that they have the same problem most people go with one of our header/b pipe/uprev tuning combos, or something similar. www.cajunbpipes.com

Aftermarket OEM replacement manifolds are pretty much all junk. The labor is what kills you and we've seen dorman/eastern manifolds fail in as little as 6 months.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So replacing the stock manifolds with these wouldn't prevent the issue? How would we know if the manifolds have or are developing cracks?

·
Vendor
211 Posts
Sorry if that wasn't clear, Yes replacing the factory manifolds with headers is the way to prevent the whole issue. I meant that there's nothing you can do to prevent the factory manifolds from cracking.

Symptoms include a ticking/ hissing noise on cold start up, bad fuel economy, and the infamous P0420 or P0430 code

·
Vendor
211 Posts
Do those codes cause a check engine light?
The codes are the check engine light. The light comes on when a code is present, you scan it and see which code it is. That tells you what the problem is

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, this is my wife's car. The kid hauler. Doesn't need to drone. We also have no emissions testing here, so is there a catless option for these?

The codes are the check engine light. The light comes on when a code is present, you scan it and see which code it is. That tells you what the problem is
Gotcha. We've never had any lights pop to this day (knock on wood). Wasn't sure if it could possibly have anything sitting in the background. I've seen other cars that didn't have a light on, but there were codes present when scanned.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I have a 2013 Armada Platinum that just turned 80k miles and runs like a top. We haven't had any issues with it to this point, but I came across information about a tendency for the cats on these vehicles to break down and have particulate sucked back up into the engine, destroying it. I'm just curious if anyone knows how common this is and what preventative steps can be taken to avoid it? We have an extended warranty that still has another two years left on it, so wouldn't want to do anything prior to it expiring. Still, I want to have a plan in place as soon as it does, just to be safe.

Appreciate any feedback!
My theory is the fuel pump is the cause of the crack manifolds. It's just a theory, I've had my cats & fuel pump replaced twice and this time around i went with www.cajunbpipes.com shorties with Cats since i live in CA. My wife was the primary driver and she constantly drove the truck on E. The fuel pump is located inside the gas tank and uses the fuel to keep it cool. My theory is over time the fuel pump is less efficient at delivering fuel and over time causing the Cats to run lean, causing unnecessary heat cycles on the cats that lead to cracks. You won't get any codes until it's to late and the damage to the cats has been done. Regarding the fuel pump i never got a code for it. First time at WOT it would sputter and want to die out. Jumped on the forums and they pointed to the fuel pump, swapped it out and issue went away. Second time was when i did the cajun headers and while getting it tune via uprev the tuner brought it to my attention. In the data logs he could see the fuel trim affected at 2500 rpms and above. Swapped out the fuel pump and the fuel trim issue went away. In my opinion the preventative thing to do is keep an eye on your fuel pump. Do some WOT getting into the freeway and see if it sputters. The other thing is take it to a shop and have them hook it to a scanner that can read fuel trims and make sure the fuel pump checks out throughout the whole rpm range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts