Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went ahead and replaced my catalytic converter today. A few months ago my Armada threw a SES light code P0430(bank 2 catalytic efficiency below threshold). I tossed some Cataclean and Seafoam at it and the light went out after a few miles. A little over a month later, the SES light came back on code P0430. I ordered a premium manifold/catalytic converter from rockauto.com part number 40638 which arrived in no time. It took about 4 hours from start to finish. The factory manifold was indeed cracked in the area where they all crack.

https://youtu.be/5GnxeGp3utE

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Good job man!

Yeah, Nissan really dropped the ball on those manifolds, really bad design.
Mine has 110k miles and my drivers side is already leaking.

like you, I've been working on cars since I was a kid so I ain't scared, lol.

I'm going the Cajun B pipe, JBA route tho.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good job man!

Yeah, Nissan really dropped the ball on those manifolds, really bad design.
Mine has 110k miles and my drivers side is already leaking.

like you, I've been working on cars since I was a kid so I ain't scared, lol.

I'm going the Cajun B pipe, JBA route tho.
Awesome. I saw videos where people installed long tube headers and aftermarket B-pipes without a tune and the vehicle didn't throw a SES light. Apparently there's a certain brand that will achieve this. I was gonna go with headers until I found this manifold/Cat combo with the reinforcement brace welded on. We'll see how it holds up.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I think those manifolds will hold up great with that gusset welded in there.
If I wasn't on a HP trip I'd go with those for sure, they look like great replacements.

When you get the header replacement kit from Cajun it comes with an UpRev tune so no codes thrown and your A/F is set so you don't run lean.

But it costs way more then those manifolds.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think those manifolds will hold up great with that gusset welded in there.
If I wasn't on a HP trip I'd go with those for sure, they look like great replacements.

When you get the header replacement kit from Cajun it comes with an UpRev tune so no codes thrown and your A/F is set so you don't run lean.

But it costs way more then those manifolds.
Be sure to post pics when you get it done.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I'd never heard of these cracking. Does this happen on the newer models as well?

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I'm not sure if it happens with the new body style Armada/qx80 as they have the VK56VD.

But the older body style Armada/qx56 it happens ALL the time. Its not if it will happen, it's when.

Mines cracked right now, I can hear it when its cold, and it's VERY annoying!

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure if it happens with the new body style Armada/qx80 as they have the VK56VD.

But the older body style Armada/qx56 it happens ALL the time. Its not if it will happen, it's when.

Mines cracked right now, I can hear it when its cold, and it's VERY annoying!
The newer body style is still, "new", ...so time will tell. I got a screen shot of the under belly of a 2017 and can see both cats hanging off of the manifolds. Hopefully the manifold was redesigned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went ahead and replaced my catalytic converter today. A few months ago my Armada threw a SES light code P0430(bank 2 catalytic efficiency below threshold). I tossed some Cataclean and Seafoam at it and the light went out after a few miles. A little over a month later, the SES light came back on code P0430. I ordered a premium manifold/catalytic converter from rockauto.com part number 40638 which arrived in no time. It took about 4 hours from start to finish. The factory manifold was indeed cracked in the area where they all crack.

I am about to order this manifold as well from Rock Auto. Did you use the manifold gasket and the cat to bpipe gasket that came with it? Or did you order Nissan gaskets?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Has anyone heard of or tried these? I need to do mine right away, but before taking the leap thought I'd run these past those of you who know much more than I do. They are made by AP Emissions. I'm thinking about giving it a shot from Rock Auto. I need to do both sides asap. Mine is a 2008 with 160k and I've been avoiding doing them for a while but they're getting worse so I want to fix it right away. I'll likely keep it for another 100k but don't want to get goofy on spending too much because of the age and miles. Another curiosity, I'd also heard the new OEM Nissan ones were redesigned/reinforced now. Any Thoughts?

Also curious...as I've been looking, some manufacturers, like the OE Nissan, Dorman or Pacesetter require you to choose 4wd and Flex Fuel or straight gas. Mine is Flex Fuel but neither Eastern or AP seems to have different models. I certainly want to make sure I put the right one on my Flex Fuel Armada. Any experience/insights to share? (On a side-note, after looking more, I'm leaning toward the Eastern ECO III's) THANKS ALL!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone heard of or tried these? I need to do mine right away, but before taking the leap thought I'd run these past those of you who know much more than I do. They are made by AP Emissions. I'm thinking about giving it a shot from Rock Auto. I need to do both sides asap. Mine is a 2008 with 160k and I've been avoiding doing them for a while but they're getting worse so I want to fix it right away. I'll likely keep it for another 100k but don't want to get goofy on spending too much because of the age and miles. Another curiosity, I'd also heard the new OEM Nissan ones were redesigned/reinforced now. Any Thoughts?

Also curious...as I've been looking, some manufacturers, like the OE Nissan, Dorman or Pacesetter require you to choose 4wd and Flex Fuel or straight gas. Mine is Flex Fuel but neither Eastern or AP seems to have different models. I certainly want to make sure I put the right one on my Flex Fuel Armada. Any experience/insights to share? (On a side-note, after looking more, I'm leaning toward the Eastern ECO III's) THANKS ALL!!

I have no experience with the ones you linked, but I went with replacing mine with the Easterns just like the OP, and i did both sides (for almost the same price as 1 of these APs). I also went and ordered the nissan gaskets too off amazon as I didn't want to use the gaskets that came with the Eastern's for fear they may blow out down the road.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am about to order this manifold as well from Rock Auto. Did you use the manifold gasket and the cat to bpipe gasket that came with it? Or did you order Nissan gaskets?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
My apologies, I'm just seeing this. Do not by any means use the crappy aftermarket head to manifold gasket that come with the manifold/catalytic converter.
It WILL blow out as mine did. I ended up swapping back in my used Nissan gasket hours prior to a trip to National Harbor.
The orginal Nissan gasket was built bomb proof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My apologies, I'm just seeing this. Do not by any means use the crappy aftermarket head to manifold gasket that come with the manifold/catalytic converter.
It WILL blow out as mine did. I ended up swapping back in my used Nissan gasket hours prior to a trip to National Harbor.
The orginal Nissan gasket was built bomb proof.
No worries, I went ahead and ordered the Nissan gaskets anyway and have changed out both exhaust manifolds... looking at the old parts they did indeed develop the cracks. So far with the new Eastern replacement manifolds, the light is off... will need to drive around a bit more to verify the SES light stays off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts