Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know of a harness I can buy to connect a handsfree kit into the factory stereo/nav system? I'd prefer to not have to mount a speaker for my the handsfree kit AND the amateur radio I plan on installing in my wife's new Armada. If I have to, fine, but I've gotta hope that the Bose (or whoever) system in this beast can be set up to run the audio out of the stock speakers.

While I'm at it, has anyone installed an amateur radio into their Armada? My wife and I are both hams and while she barely uses the radio I'd like it available when we take family trips. I've already found that Panavise makes a mount I can use for the faceplate and I know where I can put the speaker for the radio.

Also, is it possible to tap into the gps output? If that is possible AND if the output is in the correct format (NMEA) I can avoid having to find another Garmin GPS 35 (looks like an old IBM mouse) for the Kenwood radio I'm going to install.

Thanks for your help!

Tom

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
drcookie said:
First ... welcome aboard. :hi:

As for the cell phone handfree kit, if your phone has a bluetooth, check out this thread, it could be connected to the factory unit for handfree feature.

http://clubarmada.com/showthread.php?t=1346&highlight=bluetooth

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks for the welcome. :)

I went through that thread and then searched google for a few hours until my head hurt! I've found a crapload of links for that MB-01 mute box thingy but nothing current, all of them either pointed to the for sale here or to an ebay auction that is long since gone. I'm taking a break before I search some more.

I'm actually glad this is my wife's car. I don't feel quite as determined to make everything nice and clean. She can deal with an outboard speaker for the handsfree kit along with one for the amateur radio and if she doesn't like it, too bad! Just don't tell her I said that. :)

We test drove a VW Touareg before we drove the Armada. The Touareg has a button on the stereo for the telephone connection. I wish more companies would do that.

Tom

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
When I am on my motorcycle in traffic I wish they would put a rotating flashing beacon in cars with cell phones in use so I would know who is distracted and not paying full attention to their driving. It would save many lives/accidents. 3/4 of the close calls I have had in the last 5 years are all cell phone related. The worst single type of mistake cell phone drivers make is they change lane right into me without even looking, don't even bother looking over there shoulder or even signal. The hands-free stuff is even worse for me because now visually I will have no indication when a driver is day dreaming on the phone. Next time you are at a red light @ a busy intersection look around and count how many people are on them. I have a cell phone; great device, but combined with autos they are THE worst thing that has ever happened to motorcyclist.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having been a motorcyclist I pay damn close attention to what is going on around me. I've been run off the road when riding and it pissed me off. That isn't going to stop me from putting a handsfree kit in my vehicles. I own a computer consulting company and spend enough time on the phone to know that if I didn't do it in the car I'd work until 8pm every night. For the last 9 years I've driven and talked and haven't had once accident that was caused by being on the phone. I tend to daydream more when I'm off the phone. :)

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
tcglivr6 said:
Does anybody know of a harness I can buy to connect a handsfree kit into the factory stereo/nav system? I'd prefer to not have to mount a speaker for my the handsfree kit AND the amateur radio I plan on installing in my wife's new Armada. If I have to, fine, but I've gotta hope that the Bose (or whoever) system in this beast can be set up to run the audio out of the stock speakers.

Tom

Bluetooth is the way to go. I've had cell phones since 91 and I always had a handsfree kit installed. (Did all myself except the 1st) Never had any problem except where to mount the Speaker. When radio mfts came out with the mute function on their products I was so happy, I never missed a call. (Music was always booming back then) Now with bluetooth they pretty much do away with the wires. Not sure about Nexte/Sprint but I know verizon(Crappy service) T-mobile (Not THAT bad) and Cingular (Love them) have bluetooth capability. The only thing with Verizon is that they limit what you can do with Bluetooth. (Got this from an Eye Tech) Even if you don't want to upgrade the phone you can buy the Headset that will have the Transmitting part plugged into your phone and your earpiece on your ear.

With a BT Cap Phone you can do voice dialing. (Never have to take your eyes off the road) Auto answer after a few rings. Try it. Unless you upgrade your phone it's not that exspensive.

I ride also and rode in Europe for several years and I was so glad that the Government made it mandatory for drivers to have an headset or handsfree kit installed or they would be fined at least $500.

K
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm with you on the bluetooth. I have a Nokia 6820 with hardwired handsfree kit in my Jetta and my wife has a Motorola RAZR V3 that I'm going to pick up a bluetooth kit for. I wanted to interface the Moto handsfree kit with the Armada stereo so it would auto-mute and play through the speakers but I can't for the life of me find the interface that is mentioned in the above thread. Oh well, there's room for two speakers (one for the Kenwood TM-D700a amateur radio and one for the Moto bluetooth handsfree kit) next to the driver's seat on the side of the console.

I'm also going to look at one of the cell phone amps from Call Capture. My Nokia kit has an external antenna but the Moto kit does not and we've got enough hills around here that an external antenna is mandatory.

When I get rid of my Jetta later this year I'm going with a Touareg just because of the telephone button on the radio. :D

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
[Call Capture. My Nokia kit has an external antenna but the Moto kit does not and we've got enough hills around here that an external antenna is mandatory.

When I get rid of my Jetta later this year I'm going with a Touareg just because of the telephone button on the radio. :D[/QUOTE]

http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=16729

This kit looks great! As for the antenna I believe you need the V3 car kit. I think I saw it somewhere on the net.

K

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I can find there is no actual car kit for the RAZR. There's the bluetooth handsfree kit (HF850 or IHF1000) but no cradle or antenna adapter. I've seen lots of people complain that there is no cradle for the RAZR and after looking at Motorola's site again they still don't list one. I should make her use her old phone (Motorola V400) as that has a real handsfree kit that looks like it will hook up to an outside antenna. As a matter of fact, it looks just like the Nextel handsfree kit I used to have.

The RAZR is supposed to be mine (won two of them for selling certain pieces of Cisco gear earlier this year - one of my employees has the other one) but I don't care for it because no cradle is availabe and it doesn't support high speed data for internet connectivity.

We'll see how much she screams when I try to take it away from her. If she threatens me with death I'll just go bluetooth with the cell connect in-car amp. :)

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
The Motorola handsfree kits are very good quality. I have been using them for years. I currently use the T-730 phone, the kit for your V400 is similar. I attached some photos of my installation. The control box is under the drivers seat, the mic is on the top of the left windshield post, and the speaker is below the handsfree cradle. My G-Tech is mounted just above the phone.
I am on the road a good bit and the handsfree is the only way to go. I also use the phone with my laptop to access the internet when I am away from a connection.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.