Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if any of you change your own oil? If you do, to change the oil filter, do you remove the pan/skid plate? Or do you just reach in and around the pan and the sway bar? Oh yeah, I have a 2005 LE 4 x 4. I only ask because I cant even get my fat head underneath the front spoiler without jacking it up. Does anyone have any secrets? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I remove the pan.....it would take much longer and be MUCHO messier trying to leave it on. I have a 7 1/2 head and leave my jack alone.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Topaz. I thought so. I still have a few thousand miles to go before the oil change. I was just getting ready for the first one.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Oil changeTips

gabe said:
Thanks Topaz. I thought so. I still have a few thousand miles to go before the oil change. I was just getting ready for the first one.
You only have to loosen the 2 rear bolts since the rear holes on the skid plate are slotted. The 2 front bolts need to be removed with socket/extension. You might want to take the new oil filter down to your local auto parts/Walmart first and get an oil filter wrench to fit it, preferably the type that fits over the end like a socket. Factory installed oil filters are usually put on VERY tight, mine was. I bought 8 OEM Nissan oil filters and crush washers from irontoad.com w/shipping for less than $50.
If you have a couple short scraps of 2x6's or 2x8’s around, drive the front wheels up on them. The extra 1-1/2" make it much nicer to maneuver around under the truck. This truck sits lower than my 4Runner and is a little tight for me.
Good luck.

Oh yeah, change your rear end gear lube at the same time, it is easy and highly recommended, mine was nasty at 3.8k. I used an old toothbrush to help drag out the thick crap out through drain hole from the bottom of the housing.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I"m going to change mine at the dealer. It's not that i'm lazy or don't know how to do it but it's more economical for them to do it. My dealer only charges $25 for changing the oil, Every 4th one is free. I also get $5 off for my first 8 oil changes. Well, then its' 19.99 then :D That's pretty cheap. I couldn't even buy oil and a filter for that much.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
I don't trust them

Most of the techs at the dealer have trouble tying their shoes let alone tighten all the bolts. It cost me less than $13 to do it myself and at my leisure, and I know the job is done right. I like to have a look every once in a while just to inspect other things that might be going on.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Cillyone said:
Most of the techs at the dealer have trouble tying their shoes let alone tighten all the bolts. It cost me less than $13 to do it myself and at my leisure, and I know the job is done right. I like to have a look every once in a while just to inspect other things that might be going on.
How are you buying all that oil + filter for less than $13? Where are you buying all that oil from?

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Cillyone. I would have to agree with you. I don't trust the dealership or too many repair shops either. I am mechanically inclined and anal. I've had a Dodge 4x4 for a while now and I haven't had to jack up anything. Just crawl underneath. Also, on the rear end fluid, did you use GL-5 alone or with a friction modifier? Does Nissan have their own friction modifier? On my Dodge, I have to use GL-5 and 8oz's of Chrysler friction modifier. Would you know anything about that for the Nissan? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Oil and stuff

I buy everything on sale and/or with a coupon. I get Valvoline at Kragen Auto on sale for $0.89/qt after rebate, sometimes $0.79 and even $3.99 for a 5qt jug. Filters cost me about $6 w/crush washer. So about $7 for oil and about $6 for filter = $13. Valvoline is excellent organic oil because it is NOT energy conserving rated which means it still has some zinc content. Zinc is a very good bearing protector and is in 4stroke motor oils for air-cooled engines (motorcycle specific oil). As you might notice by my sig I like the 2 wheelers and that isn’t all of them, shhhh don’t tell the wife. I change a LOT of oil (generators and power equipment too). As far as rear end gear oil, as soon as I use up my organic stash I will be switching to synthetic, either Redline or Amsoil. There is no need for modifiers since there is no limited slip clutches or traction devices in the Armada’s rear end.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the useful information Cillyone. Enjoy the 2 wheelers. I used ride when I lived in Fremont and would have to drive to Livermore to ride. Now that I live in Livermore, I moved on to watercraft. Oh scratch that, raising kids. You know what I mean, Priorities. Kids, toys, toys, kids? When they get a little older, it will definately be both. Thanks for everything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts