Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
2017 Armada Platinum
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as we had a day below 90 degrees, I got out and got busy blacking out all the chrome on the truck. I've done everything except the grille and the channel along the roof line. That will be done in the coming days. Here's the progress so far:

That's the side vents, the mirrors, the door handles, and the rear badges. So much better than all that chrome!

Administrator
the side vents are so autozone 90s. i wish nissan did something better than assuming thats what us americans like for bling on our cars..

anyway, the delete looks boss! clean. 馃憣

Registered
2017 Armada Platinum
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the side vents are so autozone 90s. i wish nissan did something better than assuming thats what us americans like for bling on our cars..

anyway, the delete looks boss! clean. 馃憣
Or just leave them out altogether. I don't mind a smooth, clean quarter panel.

Finished the grille today. Only the channel along the roof to go, but I don't have the patience for that on this hot day. Debating on blacking out the emblem and getting colored Nissan lettering...

Registered
2021 Nissan Armada SL
Looks really good. I think I鈥檒l paint my fender vents to match the body. My vote is to go ahead and black out the emblem on the grille. I鈥檒l embrace a few chrome accents but the grille and vents are overkill - I鈥檒l probably lay some black carbon vinyl over the chrome grille.

Reactions: hARMADAca

Registered
2017 Armada Platinum
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'm leaning towards doing the emblem. Especially if I add color to the "Nissan" in the middle.

Registered
2007 Nissan Armada Le 5.6 Flex
As soon as we had a day below 90 degrees, I got out and got busy blacking out all the chrome on the truck. I've done everything except the grille and the channel along the roof line. That will be done in the coming days. Here's the progress so far:

View attachment 50509 View attachment 50510 View attachment 50511 View attachment 50512 View attachment 50513

That's the side vents, the mirrors, the door handles, and the rear badges. So much better than all that chrome!
SWEET! LOOKS GOOD! I always like the color white with all black trims. Nice work.

Registered
2017 Armada Platinum
That looks so good! I've thought about doing that on mine, but I think it wouldn't have the same affect against blue as it does on white (off-white?)

Has anyone blacked out the chrome on the inside? I find that the sun reflecting off it is kinda blinding. I've been keeping a mask on the shifter to block out some of the "sun".

Registered
2017 Armada Platinum
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks so good! I've thought about doing that on mine, but I think it wouldn't have the same affect against blue as it does on white (off-white?)

Has anyone blacked out the chrome on the inside? I find that the sun reflecting off it is kinda blinding. I've been keeping a mask on the shifter to block out some of the "sun".
Thanks! It's white with a pearl top coat. I'm not sure of the exact Nissan paint name... I just finished the chrome trim along the top of the truck, below the roof line, and across the top of the windshield. I think it looks so much better. But the plasti-dip hasn't held up so great n the handles. It's looking like I'll have to get them wrapped, just to withstand the constant wear they get. The stationary parts should be fine, though.

Registered
2021 Armada Platinum Captain's Chairs 4X4, Aspen White Tricoat, Almond Leather.
hARMADAca,
Nice work on the chrome delete. I really like the look!
Mine is the same color, and after being inspired by your results, I went out and had a look at mine. Man, there sure is a lot of chrome! Easy to chicken out when I think of the time investment! I'm going to think on this a little more! 馃
Very nice!
Don

Registered
2021 Nissan Armada SL
hARMADAca,
Mine is the same color, and after being inspired by your results, I went out and had a look at mine. Man, there sure is a lot of chrome! Easy to chicken out when I think of the time investment! I'm going to think on this a little more! 馃
Very nice!
Don
I agree with you Don - mine is silver and I really like the 鈥渕idnight鈥 look but I鈥檓 still debating the time investment and the longevity of either paint, plastidip, or vinyl wrap. Honestly, the only chrome that bothers me is the gigantic grille and those terrible fender vents. I will definitely do something there鈥ust not sure what yet. But all of the trim and door handles may just have to stay shiny鈥

Registered
2017 Armada Platinum
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hARMADAca,
Very nice!
Don
Thanks! That's the beauty of Plasti-dip. It's pretty easy to be confident with it, because mistakes are readily rubbed or peeled off.

That being said, I'm taking the truck to a shop to have the handles and chrome roof line done in vinyl wrap. The constant wear on the handles is too much for the dip, especially since I can't get full coverage around the backside of the handles, and with the kids climbing in and out, and the way the chrome folds into the door jamb, its getting worn as well. Everything else is holding up great, and haven't retouched anything except the handles. I'll be sure to post pics when the vinyl is done.

I agree with you Don - mine is silver and I really like the 鈥渕idnight鈥 look but I鈥檓 still debating the time investment and the longevity of either paint, plastidip, or vinyl wrap. Honestly, the only chrome that bothers me is the gigantic grille and those terrible fender vents. I will definitely do something there鈥ust not sure what yet. But all of the trim and door handles may just have to stay shiny鈥
The guy at my vinyl shop said about 2-3 years on horizontal surfaces, and 5-6 on vertical surfaces. I'm sure I could subtract a year or two from that latter because of the constant use. Even if it has to be redone every four years, still worth it in terms of the time and effort saving or redipping the handles every six weeks.

It may sound ludicrous, but I love the look. And once the stock roof rack is replaced with a pioneer rack, it'll be wonderfully monochromatic!

Registered
....is there any way to blackout or eliminate the chrome around the tail lights? Has anybody tried that yet? That is the one thing that bugs me about the back-end on the newer Armadas. Thanks for the answers ahead of time!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts