Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright gents, I have a 2006 QX56.

I have several electrical problems that I believe are related. The cluster has been turning on and off with intermittent operation of both the tachy and speedometer among other things to include the rear gate occasionally inoperable (with the key or the front switch). Then the other day the transmission disengaged and reengaged on the highway several times.

Bluedriver reads U1000 transmission, U1001 ECM, C1729 BCM for the rest please see attached.

I replaced the battery, ECM relay, took out the cluster (nothing appears out of order) and still no dice. The car is undrivable in it's current state because of the transmission engagement issue, happened more than once.

I have been thinking about replacing the entire IPDM but not sure yet as I believe all the issues are related and appear to get worse in the rain, though admittedly could be a red herring. Any help here would be hugely appreciated!!!

-Steve

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
did you just purchase the car or have you had it since birth? if not since birth, did you buy it used?

just trying to find out when these issues started. did they all just happen at once or one by one over time?

any electrical modifications done on the car?

was it in an accident? ws something replaced recently that caused this?

what is your mileage?

the main error is that u1000

U1000 Possible Causes
  • Controller Area Network (CAN) communication harness is open or shorted
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
  • Poor harness ground connection.

C1729 Possible Causes
  • CAN communication
  • Faulty Body Control Module (BCM)
  • Faulty Combination Meter
  • BCM/Combination Meter harness is open or shorted
  • BCM/Combination Meter circuit poor electrical connection

did not see the pdf as these are both major issues.

the U1000 can crop up if the ECM is faulty. your ground straps could also be damaged/rotted (was this car ever in the rust belt?) causing issues with data transfer. The canbus is a complex computer network on the car that has two wires - a canbus hi and canbus low. the network is serial in nature so the data flows through all the sensors but only the data that is specific to each sensor will read what its supposed to read and ignores all the other data.

issue is if any of the sensors are faulty or if any part of the wiring is shorted, chewed by rats or otherwise damaged, data cant flow properly and issues start to occur.

the C code is related to the speedo and the fact its not getting a proper signal to the BCM. the BCM controls a LOT of data and governs many things, so it could also be faulty (rare but possible).

so you should re check your battery cables, re tighten them if needed, check your ground straps and /or replace if needed, your speedo may be in need of repair or replacement (they do get old and since none of us over the internet know the age and the entire history of this car, it could be the culprit since a lot of data passes through the combination meter).

the ipdm is also a good idea. again you may have thee issues due to poor continuity in your wiring harnesses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you just purchase the car or have you had it since birth? if not since birth, did you buy it used?

just trying to find out when these issues started. did they all just happen at once or one by one over time?

any electrical modifications done on the car?

was it in an accident? ws something replaced recently that caused this?

what is your mileage?

the main error is that u1000

U1000 Possible Causes
  • Controller Area Network (CAN) communication harness is open or shorted
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
  • Poor harness ground connection.

C1729 Possible Causes
  • CAN communication
  • Faulty Body Control Module (BCM)
  • Faulty Combination Meter
  • BCM/Combination Meter harness is open or shorted
  • BCM/Combination Meter circuit poor electrical connection

did not see the pdf as these are both major issues.

the U1000 can crop up if the ECM is faulty. your ground straps could also be damaged/rotted (was this car ever in the rust belt?) causing issues with data transfer. The canbus is a complex computer network on the car that has two wires - a canbus hi and canbus low. the network is serial in nature so the data flows through all the sensors but only the data that is specific to each sensor will read what its supposed to read and ignores all the other data.

issue is if any of the sensors are faulty or if any part of the wiring is shorted, chewed by rats or otherwise damaged, data cant flow properly and issues start to occur.

the C code is related to the speedo and the fact its not getting a proper signal to the BCM. the BCM controls a LOT of data and governs many things, so it could also be faulty (rare but possible).

so you should re check your battery cables, re tighten them if needed, check your ground straps and /or replace if needed, your speedo may be in need of repair or replacement (they do get old and since none of us over the internet know the age and the entire history of this car, it could be the culprit since a lot of data passes through the combination meter).

the ipdm is also a good idea. again you may have thee issues due to poor continuity in your wiring harnesses.

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm a second owner. Surface rust is present but not overly bad for a 15 year old car. There is one thing that comes to mind now that you mention it. I just noticed a leak in the sunroof (now repaired) the other day and moisture along the door columns. Is there a ground in the interior where water may have gotten too? I looked around but didn't see anything obvious under the dash.

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
all the ground straps should be in the engine room, but wiring passes throughout the entire car. if moisture has breached a wiring loom this can cause some issues as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. The negative battery terminal was half cracked. Just bought a new one and see if that helps. Fingers crossed.

A quick update. I did about 2 hours of driving with while reading codes. All the codes are tied together. That is if the codes are reset and the cluster is functioning correctly, which it does for about 25 minutes, no new codes are observed. As soon as the cluster starts to jump around all codes show up.

To mean this sounds like a ground issue. The new negative battery cable seemed to stabilize it a bit but it's hard to quantify.

I searched google but I can't find where the ground straps are. Does anyone have a schematic?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts