Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a 2012 platinum with 108k. Ive had it about 2 months, and haven't had any issues. I'm in colorado and the temp is in the negative/single digits for the last few days. Vehicle has a new 750cc battery that was put in when I bought it.

Yesterday, the car would turn over, but not fire (a little slow but it was almost 0 degrees) I tried a few times, but gave up and took a different car. I hopped online and started reading on a lot of the forums and there were quite a few posts about cold start issues, most say they have success when jumping the armada (or titan) when in this scenario. We were at about -4° this morning and I went out and tried again with the key...no go. I jumped the Armada with another car and it fired right up. Quite a few of the post mentioned the IPDM and cracked solder on the ecm, but that's where they end. there's mention a follow up but they're usually a few years old so I'm not too hopeful anyone's coming back. The car starts fine since the initial fire. I'm going to test it again tomorrow since we should hit about -11 tonight.

has anyone experienced anything similar, or know of a more definitive answer? This exact scenario seems to happen frequently, so I know the answer is out there somewhere.

I appreciate any insight!

·
Super Moderator
5,884 Posts
there is no magic bullet to solve all problems so need to ask more questions...

have you had the battery tested? have you had the charging system tested?

did you check your battery cables? are they tight? no corrosion?

if jumping your car with another car allowed it to start up right away, this would seem to indicate your battery is not up to snuff.

have you had the car checked for any obd codes?

could be an ipdm issue- swapping the fog lamp relay temporarily will test this theory.

you may have a camshaft sensor issue or crankshaft sensor issue. again this may come up in the obd (you may not see a check engine lamp)

due to the cold, you may have an issue with a wire harness losing continuity - rare but worth a mention.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

I had both the alternator and battery tested and they came back good.

Battery terminals and clamps are all clean and tight.

I was thinking the same in terms of the battery, but a lot of the posts I read had gone through new batteries with no change. Those threads describe my situation to a T, but never get closed or concluded. The One that did mentioned solder failures in the ecm, but I can't imagine an ecm issue and jumper cables got it going.

I have a bluetooth obd reader I'll throw on there. No check engine light is present.

I'm going to let it sit and check again in the morning(-11 tonight). I'll try swapping the fog lamp relay to see if anything changes.

I'll check cam and crank sensor codes on the obd. I haven't had any of the normal issues they usually cause...random shutdown or continuous crank. ( other than the extreme cold lately) I have an xterra and infiniti and have had to replace them.

I hope there aren't any harness issues. I build old cars as a hobby, and even some of those painless kits are spaghetti....I couldn't image trying to track something down on this.

I appreciate the help!

·
Super Moderator
5,884 Posts
the temps being so cold in your area can really show if a battery is good or not. if the car turns over promptly if you jump it, id just think it was simply the battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
cars, especially electrical systems in cars, doesn't do well in extream cold...when trying to start the car, does the starter seam like it is slower then normal? the extream cold causes the electical system curent to have a hard time flowing freely... also the cold can cause the engine oil to thicken, witch is also a contribing facter to cause the car nit to start...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently purchased a 2012 platinum with 108k. Ive had it about 2 months, and haven't had any issues. I'm in colorado and the temp is in the negative/single digits for the last few days. Vehicle has a new 750cc battery that was put in when I bought it.

Yesterday, the car would turn over, but not fire (a little slow but it was almost 0 degrees) I tried a few times, but gave up and took a different car. I hopped online and started reading on a lot of the forums and there were quite a few posts about cold start issues, most say they have success when jumping the armada (or titan) when in this scenario. We were at about -4° this morning and I went out and tried again with the key...no go. I jumped the Armada with another car and it fired right up. Quite a few of the post mentioned the IPDM and cracked solder on the ecm, but that's where they end. there's mention a follow up but they're usually a few years old so I'm not too hopeful anyone's coming back. The car starts fine since the initial fire. I'm going to test it again tomorrow since we should hit about -11 tonight.

has anyone experienced anything similar, or know of a more definitive answer? This exact scenario seems to happen frequently, so I know the answer is out there somewhere.

I appreciate any insight!
1. Time for a Nissan block heater
2. 93 Octane
3. Battery older than 3 years. Replace it.
4. If spark plugs have not been changed. Then it is time.
5. Avoid gas tank getting very low
7. Check if idler pulley is frozen. Any retriction that causes startrr not to overturn properly

·
Registered
60 Posts
Battery. Had same problem yesterday and it was only 26F. I had not started for about 2 weeks. There's a relatively large battery discharge from electronics in this car just sitting. All new cars have a bit, just not quite as bad.

I just had to charge it for 30 minutes and it started right up. Low temperatures decrease battery output a lot. I put a trickle charger on it till stuff warms up :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts