Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Volant CAI w/o the ram and it seems the computer hickups when you get on it. When giving full throttle the tranny seems like it doesn't know if it should shift or not. There was no problem like before the installation. This Volant system was installed with the neg battery removed so the computer should notice the change? Thanks, Ed

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
what year, model, so on is your mada? I have an 05 LE with a gen 3 volante and I have experienced no problems at all.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eclipse_Man said:
what year, model, so on is your mada? I have an 05 LE with a gen 3 volante and I have experienced no problems at all.
It's a 05 SE with 1200 mi and the Gen 3. Like I said, it's only when you go full throttle from a stop. 2nd to third gear seems to wind back and forth and then it finally shifts into third.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
From what I read through the forum, removing the Neg- connection from the battery does not reset the computer on the truck. You actually have to do a manual reset. Do a search on the forum, there was a lengthy discussion about it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers !!!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
drcookie said:
From what I read through the forum, removing the Neg- connection from the battery does not reset the computer on the truck. You actually have to do a manual reset. Do a search on the forum, there was a lengthy discussion about it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers !!!
Thanks much!!! I'm new to this forum stuff and it will take some time to learn but I this site is the most informative of all the sites for the mada. Thanks again, Ed :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I have an 06 LE with the Volant G3 and Gibson. I have had no problems at all, and it sounds like the cpu may be trying to figure out the new config. I would research and/or just go to the clubtitan.com site and search for ECU reset. There are several reset options listed. I did reset mine for both the G3 and Gibson, for what thats worth.

Best of luck and report back your solution.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Oh and welcome! :thumbup:

EdTra6563 said:
Thanks much!!! I'm new to this forum stuff and it will take some time to learn but I this site is the most informative of all the sites for the mada. Thanks again, Ed :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
Welcome. One of the guys even posed a video of the reset. I keep the printout in my center console so I can do it when I want. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
EdTra6563 said:
I installed a Volant CAI w/o the ram and it seems the computer hickups when you get on it. When giving full throttle the tranny seems like it doesn't know if it should shift or not. There was no problem like before the installation. This Volant system was installed with the neg battery removed so the computer should notice the change? Thanks, Ed
There are only 2 possible causes of this. MAF sensor was damaged or installed wrong(backwards) or you have a leak somewhere between MAF and intake manifold.
Resetting ECU has nothing to do with this.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
andy said:
There are only 2 possible causes of this. MAF sensor was damaged or installed wrong(backwards) or you have a leak somewhere between MAF and intake manifold.
I agree. Be sure the MAF sensor is installed with the shiney side up, and that there are no leaks at the sensor or the rubber sleeve. Also check to see that the connector to the MAF is pushed all the way onto the sensor.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Volant

EdTra6563 said:
It's a 05 SE with 1200 mi and the Gen 3. Like I said, it's only when you go full throttle from a stop. 2nd to third gear seems to wind back and forth and then it finally shifts into third.
I don't know if I would be doing too many "WOT" runs with 1200 on the clock. But hey, it ain't mine. It might be the fuel. I would change the place you are buying fuel and run a good premium grade for a few tanks and see what happens. If it continues put the stock set up back on and see if the problem goes away. If it does buy a K&N Air Charger 63 Series. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
good point about the MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor...as the volant wasn't an EXACT fit, in my opinion, but certainly adequate and was able to get a nice seal with the new rubber seal provided.

Something to think about.

ST

andy said:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Volant/Computer hickup resolved!!!

Well.... after trying several different things I finally got the problem resolved! I tried most of the advice given. The computer would reset but then only after a few miles the SEL would come on. As far as going WTO... I only do this when I install a new part so I know it works correctly and as advertised. Shoot, this Mada’s a thirsty one. To make a long story short the problem was the little OEM rubber gasket on the sensor. I didn't see that little bugger the first time I installed the CAI and it was creating an air leak. I simply removed that gasket and re-installed the gasket Volant provided and BINGO! After the computer reset, there have been no other problems! Not even the shifting problems are occurring now. While I had the CAI off I also installed a tornado to hopefully improve mileage a little. I normally average 13 and on occasion I get 15MPG. What I do know what works is those magnets (Fuel Saver brand from Harbor Freight Tools) but I didn't get any for the Mada yet. I've been using those in all our vehicle since the early 90's and they are sweet! I even have one in my lawn tractor! Anyway thanks everyone for the help and soon I'll get some pic's of the Mada up. Take care, Ed :goodjob:

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
EdTra6563 said:
Well.... after trying several different things I finally got the problem resolved! I tried most of the advice given. The computer would reset but then only after a few miles the SEL would come on. As far as going WTO... I only do this when I install a new part so I know it works correctly and as advertised. Shoot, this Mada’s a thirsty one. To make a long story short the problem was the little OEM rubber gasket on the sensor. I didn't see that little bugger the first time I installed the CAI and it was creating an air leak. I simply removed that gasket and re-installed the gasket Volant provided and BINGO! After the computer reset, there have been no other problems! Not even the shifting problems are occurring now. While I had the CAI off I also installed a tornado to hopefully improve mileage a little. I normally average 13 and on occasion I get 15MPG. What I do know what works is those magnets (Fuel Saver brand from Harbor Freight Tools) but I didn't get any for the Mada yet. I've been using those in all our vehicle since the early 90's and they are sweet! I even have one in my lawn tractor! Anyway thanks everyone for the help and soon I'll get some pic's of the Mada up. Take care, Ed :goodjob:

Good stuff man but please for the safety of your engine remove that piece of scrap metal(tornado) from your intake before you become another statisitc. Just a small amount of research from reputable sources will show you these devices do nothing for your car and many of them can cause permanent damage!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.