Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is tough for me. I have never owned a Japanese vehicle and never thought I would.

My wife needs a new SUV with decent size, but easy for her to drive. She needs something that can safely pull a horse trailer. She has been in Durango's since 2000. The latest version does NOT meet our current needs. I have been looking at damn near every SUV out there and I an seriously considering the Armada. I am very impressed with what I have seen and read. It looks like the newest ones have some kinks worked out.

I would imagine all of you would highly recommend the Armada, so I would love to hear whatever comments you may have. I am still a few months away from purchase so I will be reading this board daily.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I have owned several American, Japaneese, and Eurpoean vehicles. Now let's make one thing very clear. The Armada may have a Nissan on the grill which to many that makes it a Japaneese car. The reality is that the Armada is US designed and built. I have had more problems with my American cars then I have with my Japaneese cars across the board. Plus my resale has always been better with Japaneese. This was my first SUV/Truck purchase of a Japaneese company. You will always wish you had went with the Armada if you go with something like an Expedition or Tahoe. Hope that helps you in your decision making.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I've owned a Durango, Grand Cherokee, Explorer, Tahoe, SportTrac, and recently a Sequoia. In my opinion there is absolutely no comparison in any of those vehicles to the Armada. It rides great, has lots of power, is good looking, and towes like an Ox (I tow a boat almost 9k lbs). We recently got rid of the Sequioa, which was the only vehicle that in my opinion even came close to the Armada in quality, but it had no where near as much power, or towing ability as the Armada. My wife didn't even want to drive the Sequoia after I got the Armada. We recently sold the Sequoia for an Infinity FX. From what I've seen, Nissan/ Infinity really know what they are doing. I had a bad accident with my Armada (got hit by a Dodge Ram estimated to be going almost 80 when he hit me), and the police told me they couldn't believe how well the car held up (the state trooper was going to buy one after he saw mine). Personally I can't say enough about my vehicle, it's the best car I've ever owned and a lot of fun to drive. I feel perfectly safe strapping my family inside it, and I can't say that about the offerings from the other manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I've owned 3 Ford, 2 Chevy, 1 Mitsubishi, 1 Jeep, Infiniti, 1 VW, and 1 Nissan before I bought. No predispositions for any maker.
I looked at:
H2, Escalade, Denali, Tahoe, Suburban, Durango, Grand Cherokee, Navagator, Expedition, Sequoia, and QX56.
I picked the Armada. Here's why.
The first 5 are all based on the Tahoe. GM products. The H2 uses a highly modified Tahoe Siveraldo 2500 frame combo. The first 3 offer the 6.0 motors. The H2 wasn't very big inside. It also seemed over priced. The other 3 have cheap interior materials and are old designs. Everyone has one and new ones are coming out in '07. Values will drop dramatically. They also ride badly with solid rear axels.
Durango and Grand Cherokee are similar. Both have the Hemi. The Durango has seating for 7. Both were too small for me and about the same price. I was looking at the GC Limited and it was around $40k.
The Expedition is too crude feeling. The Lincoln seemed overpriced. Both also are the slowest of the bunch and have a 4 speed trans. All others come with a 5 speed.
The Sequoia again was too small. 4.7 liter V8, low tow rating, smaller size than Tahoe, old design being replaced soon, it had too many things wrong with it.
The Infiniti was my first choice, but it boils down to upgraded leather, chrome accents, wood dash, and HID lights for an extra $8k. Mechanically they are identical. The only 2 things they have I couldn't get were HID and smartcruise that uses radar to slow you down on cruise control if you creep up on someone. Not worth it to me.
Pros I found with the Armada:
Size. It was one of the largest, bigger than Tahoe and Escalade.
Power. Had one of the highest to ratings.
Interior comfort. Most comfortable to me next to the infiniti.
Speed. Its the fastest of the group in 0-60 and quarter mile.
Options. Had everything I wanted including power tailgate, dual climate control, autoleveling rear suspension for towing, heated seats, autodim rearview, etc.
Price. It was on the low side compared to the rest of the ones I looked at including all the GM products, the Sequoia, and the Lincoln. Only the GC, Expedition, and Durango were cheaper.
Since I got it no problems. Love it and would do it again in a heartbeat. I wouldn't trade it for any of the ones listed above and $10k in cash. ;)

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My post was not to get a Japanese vs. American debate going. Being a former auto tech from the 80's and 90's, my opinion is that ALL auto makers have greatly improved quality.

I don't think I'll need much convincing on the Armada. I LIKE IT! A friend of mine owns a Nissan dealership and brought me an Armada when they first came out. I told him I was not interested. I have to give him a call. To tell you the truth, the brochure impresses me. The interior looks to be very high quality. I guess I should drive one.

I never really liked the Durango, but it was easy for my wife to drive.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Give it a ride. That's what sold me. If you really want to be impressed, try the QX56. It has some higher grade leather, the wood, and some extra sound proofing. Very Nice. Again, not worth the extra $$$ to me but I was torn. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
Lex said:
I believe the Armada is built in TN.
The engine is built in TN. The Armada and Titan are built in Mississippi.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
One thing no one has mentioned is how easy Armadas are to park relatively speaking. Sure, you want to find a large spot or park away from the door dingers, but for a large SUV it turns in pretty good and between backup sensor and camera should keep your wife from backing into something or someone. I would have to say its easier to park than my 95 Pathfinder, although it takes more room once your there.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
armoody said:
One thing no one has mentioned is how easy Armadas are to park relatively speaking. Sure, you want to find a large spot or park away from the door dingers, but for a large SUV it turns in pretty good and between backup sensor and camera should keep your wife from backing into something or someone.
That's one of the selling points for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts