Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Q 56 has a coolant system that's a life of its own. I will begin to drive-in all is well the heat comes on front and rear and after about 8 to 10 miles the temperature needle starts fluttering and goes to the high end and the warning light comes on and no heat just cool air out of the system After about 1/2 hour I can restart it and it works but only lasts about 4 miles this time.I have had the valve near the fire wall changed and had to buy all the heater hoses with it. The thermostat had been changed earlier.My mechanic ihas given up ...guess I should have gone to the dealer. They have a special piece of equipment to change coolant that basically draws a vacuum on the system. You can purchase it for a mere $293
HELP

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Sounds like you have air trapped in your coolant system. If your current mechanic doesn't know how to do this, then I suggest you find a new mechanic, since this really isn't all that difficult to do if you know what you are doing.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Two things are obvious as already mentioned by Campfamily: it definitely sounds like air trapped in the coolant system and your mechanic had no clue as to what he/she was doing.

With the engine cold, remove the coolant reservoir cap (white-opaque plastic bottle). If necessary, fill with coolant between the min and max, re-install the cap back on. Next, remove the radiator cap and fill with coolant right up to the fins and leave the cap off. Start the truck up and adjust the heat to max and let it idle to operating temps. During this time, give the engine a couple revs to help burp out any air in the coolant system. Also, keep an eye out on the temp gauge. Once most of the air is removed, the temp should slowly drop back down.
If nothing changes after this, then it’s possible your mechanic also installed the wrong thermostat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS !!!!!!
Some other info in the beginning I had leakage in the front passenger side of the engine then the leak move to the rear in by the rear passenger wheel in we found a broken clip that stop that and now it's leaking from the driver's front of the car perhaps from the auxiliary cooler. When the system lets loose there is a tremendous amount of pressure and temperature. There's all of this fit with your understanding of air trapped????
Sorry about voice transcription

1 - 4 of 4 Posts