Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago the forum had a thread ruminating the idea of a 6.2 Ford diesel conversion for the armada. Now that Nissan introduced the 5.0l Cummins in the Titan XD has there been any progress towards converting an Armada with the XD setup? Seems more feasible now than before. My Armada tows my travel trailer ok, but there are instances where I could use a bit more oomph. Also figure fuel economy might be improved with a diesel. Not worried so much about fuel cost but travel range. Also with the cost of used trucks in this economy a swap becomes intriguing... thoughts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The XD that had the Cummins had a WAY beefier frame to handle all that weight, plus a much wider engine bay. Also, that particular engine came with a unique set of problems which could not, and would not, be overcome, as it required substantially more investment in its development. You will notice that Nissan does not sell that engine as an option any more...

I'm on TitanTalk, and was watching the introduction and lifecycle of the engine with not a small amount of interest. Fuel mileage wasn't spectacular, but people really liked the torque. When the engine was right.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I dream about diesel swapping my QX56, but I wouldn't use the 5.0 Cummins, I would use Chevys new 3.0l diesel. It would be a small loss in HP, but a good gain in TQ, plus 30mpg on the highway, and since it is an aluminum block, it likely wouldn't weigh much more than the 5.6L we have already. All that being said, I don't forsee anyone on this forum undertaking either swap anytime soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.