Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 armada platinum , excellent vehicle ! I always kept my headlights on auto , went to car wash , the switch got moved to all the way up, I will assume non auto and parking lights. Didn’t realize it. Would this drain the battery to dead ? Went to start it in am . Nothing. Jumped it . Clicked right over. Next question. After running dead. And a jump. Does battery return to its previous condition ? Or is it compromised in life span ? With the extreme cold in the northeast coming ? Invest in a new one or am I on solid ground ?

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I think you'll be OK. The battery is new enough that a discharging that low (probably) isn't going to hurt your battery's performance for a long time.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Super Moderator
5,559 Posts
you will want to fully charge the battery. if you have access to a charger, id recommend fully charging it. The charging system on the nissan only does "trickle" charging (its much more a complicated response but this is the TL;DR version) and if you only have short drives the battery may not fully get back to 100.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Do you have a battery charger where you can select the charge amps?
I would "slow" or "trickle" charge it at 2 or 6 amps. Will take several hours to bring up to full charge.

Short driving trips don't do a whole lot to charge a drained battery. It is always good to have a charger on hand, especially for us in the colder states. It is inexpensive insurance.

Edit: Marctronixx - Ha! We typed that at the same time. Great minds think alike. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys , it went dead again . Put a jump box on it , drove it to dealer. They were cool about it, problem was ECM needed re program . They tested battery and said it was fine, but put a new one in under warranty. Thanks for the help .

·
Registered
2 Posts
2019 armada platinum , excellent vehicle ! I always kept my headlights on auto , went to car wash , the switch got moved to all the way up, I will assume non auto and parking lights. Didn’t realize it. Would this drain the battery to dead ? Went to start it in am . Nothing. Jumped it . Clicked right over. Next question. After running dead. And a jump. Does battery return to its previous condition ? Or is it compromised in life span ? With the extreme cold in the northeast coming ? Invest in a new one or am I on solid ground ?
You can take it to a local auto supply store where they will usually test it for free. As long as there are no dead cells, you should be ok.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks guys , it went dead again . Put a jump box on it , drove it to dealer. They were cool about it, problem was ECM needed re program . They tested battery and said it was fine, but put a new one in under warranty. Thanks for the help .
I'm having the same problem with my 2019 Nissan Armada. Has happened four or five times now. My dealership won't do anything but jump it because they say the battery is testing good. Could send me the details on the ECM re-program, or the number to your dealerhsip service that did it? The service people at my dealership don't seem to know anything about this and haven't been any help.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 2019 Nissan Armada. Has happened four or five times now. My dealership won't do anything but jump it because they say the battery is testing good. Could send me the details on the ECM re-program, or the number to your dealerhsip service that did it? The service people at my dealership don't seem to know anything about this and haven't been any help.
Here's the TSB for it. You can download the PDF and take it to the dealer...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wood
woodbury Nissan Woodbury New Jersey 08096

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wood

woodbury Nissan Woodbury New Jersey 08096
Thank you. Called my dealership and they were now aware of the Service Bulletin. Got it fixed yesterday. To me, this is a major recall and I wonder why they don't notify buyers. But I'm sure they have their reasons. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins are different things. Don't get one confused with the other.

A TSB is a heads-up to a dealer that if a customer comes in indicating a specific issue, this is how you fix it. Recalls are safety related.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Also, recalls are done at no charge to the customer. A TSB is only free if the action is covered by warranty.

Reactions: Brian J

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone on here continuing to have problems? My 2019 armada battery drained again this weekend and had to be jumped to start. This will now be the fifth time taking it in. Just got a call from the Nissan service manager and they said there was a recall done in March for another ECM reprogram. He said that it has been elevated with Nissan engineering for a fix and didn't sound confident that this recall would fix it permanently either.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
How many days has your vehicle been out of service? Depending on what state you live in, this could be considered grounds for a lemon law buy-back. Here in California, it's 30 days if I remember correctly, or >3 returns due to a safety related problem (dead battery would certainly qualify for this, in my opinion). Once you break those criteria, it's pretty much automatic.

Keith

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oklahoma law is not as customer friendly as CA unfortunately. Turns out the reprogram bulletin released in March is identical to the one released earlier, it just includes more vehicles. So the "fix" in the bulletin, didn't fix it. Regardless, I have a file started with the BBB and Nissan corporate so at least more will know we are still having problems with their cars not starting. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got a card in the mail about a ecm re program . Stating the engine will power down , but battery will still power VVT after a shut down . I assumed the dealer corrected this back in March with my dead battery problem . Maybe they are alerting all armada owners of 2019 model to bring it in ( if you hadn’t already ) I’m hoping that’s the case & not a “ new issue “ . Really like my Armada & no one is perfect .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just got a card in the mail about a ecm re program . Stating the engine will power down , but battery will still power VVT after a shut down . I assumed the dealer corrected this back in March with my dead battery problem . Maybe they are alerting all armada owners of 2019 model to bring it in ( if you hadn’t already ) I’m hoping that’s the case & not a “ new issue “ . Really like my Armada & no one is perfect .
I got that card as well a few weeks ago. After my latest trip to the dealer this week with the dead battery. He said my ECM was already up to date after the first reprogram. They even wrote "Problem is with Nissan Engineering" on my service receipt!

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
I have a very strong feeling this has to do with the ECM controlled alternator. Nissan’s version of their so-called smart alternator in order to help with mileage and emissions. I'm not a fan of this feature as it doesn't charge the battery consistently. On my QX80, I cut the signal wire on the battery current sensor so that the alternator functions as a traditional alternator. I did splice in bullet connectors so that when I take the truck in for annual inspections (NYC), it won't show any DTCs related to the battery current sensor. By doing this, my Northstar battery is always a healthy 14.1-14.5V. When not running, the battery is 12.9-13.3V at rest.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a very strong feeling this has to do with the ECM controlled alternator. Nissan’s version of their so-called smart alternator in order to help with mileage and emissions. I'm not a fan of this feature as it doesn't charge the battery consistently. On my QX80, I cut the signal wire on the battery current sensor so that the alternator functions as a traditional alternator. I did splice in bullet connectors so that when I take the truck in for annual inspections (NYC), it won't show any DTCs related to the battery current sensor. By doing this, my Northstar battery is always a healthy 14.1-14.5V. When not running, the battery is 12.9-13.3V at rest.
Any idea where that wire is on the ECM harness for a 2019 Armada?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts