Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I can’t say for sure if your Y62 Armada has the same ecm harness/pin locations as my Z62 QX80.
But the negative battery terminal on your Y62 should have the battery current sensor. Again, the signal wire for the ecm controlled alternator is a blue wire on my Z62. I don’t know if Nissan changed it as my truck is a ‘14.
If you have a multi-meter on hand, it is very easy to check. Unplug the pigtail from the battery current sensor. Switch the ignition to on and probe the 4 terminals on the pigtail. The terminal/wire reading approx 2.5V is the signal wire.

Btw, I have to give props to marctronixx. He had posted about this ecm-controlled alternator before. So when I first got my QX80, it was one of the first mods I did on the truck.

Reactions: maximus453507

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can’t say for sure if your Y62 Armada has the same ecm harness/pin locations as my Z62 QX80.
But the negative battery terminal on your Y62 should have the battery current sensor. Again, the signal wire for the ecm controlled alternator is a blue wire on my Z62. I don’t know if Nissan changed it as my truck is a ‘14.
If you have a multi-meter on hand, it is very easy to check. Unplug the pigtail from the battery currentsensor. Switch the ignition to on and probe the 4 terminals on the pigtail. The terminal/wire reading approx 2.5V is the signal wire.

Btw, I have to give props to marctronixx. He had posted about this ecm-controlled alternator before. So when I first got my QX80, it was one of the first mods I did on the truck.
My issue started after 23k miles, never a problem before that. Just bought a new Interstate battery because one cell tested almost 1.25 volts lower than the others. I feel stupid cause it's a 2018 Platinum Armada purchased new in '19. Didn't even know ( maybe didn't want to ) the battery has an 84 month warranty because I haven't felt confident with the local service department. Every time it's been taken in, and that's not a lot, it takes longer than they say, and always make the statement that they don't see too many Armadas at their location.....heck I bought it there and it's a Nissan....they sell lots of the Titans and it's the same vehicle....

Should I sorry about the ecm moving forward?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
There’s a open recall . Have it done . The wrong software is killing the battery .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a used 2019 Infiniti QX80 and have had multiple issues with it not starting due to a dead battery. I've read the email chain and noted there was a Technical Bulletin dated Oct. 2019 to install new software on the ECM. Just curious if people have had this done and if it has been successful?

I have noted similar issues on the Infiniti website. This seems like an issue that Nissan should be accountable for addressing. I also owned a TDI Jetta so, sadly, I have experience dealing with lemons.

With that said, I noted one person had contacted a lemon law attorney. Just trying to become educated and figure out next steps. I should be able to rely on a relatively new, expensive car to start!!

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We bought this sweet Nissan Armada used last year from a dealer in SF. It was awesome until the battery died a few mos later. We thought it was because we don't use it often due to covid, so we got a new battery installed. We start it every week, but still don't drive it often and here we are again today with another dead battery. At first we thought it was the battery in the keyfobs, which also seem to have as short lifespan. (Is this a known issue?). After replacing both keyfob batteries, we realized its the vehicle battery itself, which is a headscratcher since we have barely put 500 miles on it.

Is it normal for a brand new battery to just die like this? I just plugged a trickle solar charger into the lighter, with the solar panel in the windshield. Is this enough to keep a good battery alive? Is it enough to charge the dead battery? I've never had a vehicle die so often. Makes me wonder if I made a mistake buying this.

this is the solar charger I'm using. I just plugged it in today for the first time.

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
@cyberjamin read more about the potential here in this thread and here:

fob batteries dont wear out fast in my years of experience of two armadas and a qx. make sure the batteries you purchase are fresh and not stale old stock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@cyberjamin read more about the potential here in this thread and here:

fob batteries dont wear out fast in my years of experience of two armadas and a qx. make sure the batteries you purchase are fresh and not stale old stock.
Thanks! It's a bit technical for me. Any chance you know if it applies to 2017? I noticed the post is from 2014, and they mention models from 2007-2010.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
WRT fob batteries, both of mine died shortly after purchasing my 2011 Armada about 2.5 years ago. Replaced with RayoVac batteries. Again died shortly thereafter. Put in energizer batteries and all has been good. Suggest you change your fob battery as well as brand.

WRT your vehicle battery, buy yourself a good battery charger. One of the best car related investments I've made. I now have two. Charge the battery and check it daily afterward to see if the battery is losing charge. If so you may need to do a parasitic drain test. There are many ways to do this but I've read that the easiest way is to measure voltage drop across the fuse. Google if you need more information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
WRT fob batteries, both of mine died shortly after purchasing my 2011 Armada about 2.5 years ago. Replaced with RayoVac batteries. Again died shortly thereafter. Put in energizer batteries and all has been good. Suggest you change your fob battery as well as brand.

WRT your vehicle battery, buy yourself a good battery charger. One of the best car related investments I've made. I now have two. Charge the battery and check it daily afterward to see if the battery is losing charge. If so you may need to do a parasitic drain test. There are many ways to do this but I've read that the easiest way is to measure voltage drop across the fuse. Google if you need more information.
Thanks for the recommendation on batteries for the FOBs.

I'm looking at getting a Solar Battery Tender. I don't have the ability to use AC, so solar is my only option. Will this work once I have a fully charged battery?

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation on batteries for the FOBs.

I'm looking at getting a Solar Battery Tender. I don't have the ability to use AC, so solar is my only option. Will this work once I have a fully charged battery?
Typically a battery tender won't charge your battery but should keep a fully charged battery fully charged. If you have a large parasitic drain the tender may not keep up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had the battery tested. Turns out it has bad cells. No parasitic drain. They did a hydrometer test and they tested the gravity of fluid in each cell.

It's Deka battery, which I've been told is not a good battery top have and I should have an Interstate instead. Lukily. this is still under warranty and they are willing to replace it with an Interstate

Typically a battery tender won't charge your battery but should keep a fully charged battery fully charged. If you have a large parasitic drain the tender may not keep up.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts