Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to get the driveshaft off to seal a slip yoke leak, but even with the bolts off, it was stuck on with rust. I banged it with a hammer as much as I had stomach for, and then had a stupid idea - I turned the truck on and put it in drive. Heard some clunking, turned it off, looked under the truck and it had fallen down on the cardboard box I put underneath.

Here's the bad part...apparently it spun several times and fell against something sharp which left grooves nearly fully around the part of the shaft near the slip yoke. Is this a compromised driveshaft now? That seems to me like a bad thing - the sheet forces will act right on those "slices".

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
I would not think so. The only way would be if you dented it you could throw off the balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
If you don't notice a new vibration you should be good to go. I would think you'd need to see a dent to be in the danger zone. I would run it and pay attention to any vibration. If you think you feel something a driveline shop can rebalance it for you. Shouldn't cost much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @Highbrow Hillbilly w/HBMC

I am replacing the u joints (since they are off) and the slip yoke (since there is a leak at the plug, which is the whole reason for this project), and just found out from looking online that I will also need to rebalance the drive line assembly. Apparently that needs to be done anytime you mess with u joints or the slip yoke.

This project is getting bigger and bigger. And this is only the rear shaft. I'm going to do the same thing with the front as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks @Highbrow Hillbilly w/HBMC

I am replacing the u joints (since they are off) and the slip yoke (since there is a leak at the plug, which is the whole reason for this project), and just found out from looking online that I will also need to rebalance the drive line assembly. Apparently that needs to be done anytime you mess with u joints or the slip yoke.

This project is getting bigger and bigger. And this is only the rear shaft. I'm going to do the same thing with the front as well.
If you marked everything so it goes back in with the same orientation it came out, you shouldn't need to balance anything, even with the scratches. However a dent or a bend will let you know right away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks. I'm replacing the u joints and the slip yoke, so the only thing that will be consistent is the drive shaft. Because the driveline is balanced as a unit (drive shaft, u joints, and slip yoke), I think I will need to get this balanced.

I'm considering trying to balance it myself with hose clamps. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts