Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I noticed a small oil spot in my drive way and upon farther inspection I found it is coming out of a black tube that is just behind the air cleaner. I folowed this tube and it runs down to the top of the front diff. Is it possible I over filled it when I changed the fluid a month or so ago? I followed the directions and used a pump to pump it in until it ran out the fill hole. If I did over fill it will it hurt anything or will the excess just come out this tube?

Tomorrow in the day light I will pull out the fill plug and ensure I did not over fill it, What else could it be?

In case it matters I have a 05 4 wheel drive with 18,000 miles.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
WILDnPHX said:
Ok, I noticed a small oil spot in my drive way and upon farther inspection I found it is coming out of a black tube that is just behind the air cleaner. I folowed this tube and it runs down to the top of the front diff. Is it possible I over filled it when I changed the fluid a month or so ago? I followed the directions and used a pump to pump it in until it ran out the fill hole. If I did over fill it will it hurt anything or will the excess just come out this tube?

Tomorrow in the day light I will pull out the fill plug and ensure I did not over fill it, What else could it be?

In case it matters I have a 05 4 wheel drive with 18,000 miles.

Thanks for your advice.
I am no mechanic, but I will take it to the dealer, and won't tell him that I pumped oil in the differential, and see what they say ;) Play the game :cool:

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
cannot over fill

It is impossible to over fill the diff, you can only fill it until it is up to the side fill plug and the more you pump in the more will spill out. What kind (wt and type) of oil did you put in? And are you sure it is gear oil on the floor? What does it smell like? Are you sure you did not spill some oil when refilling? If it is only a small spot, I would hold off hitting the panic button. If it is really gear oil, it sounds like it is coming out the breather and I would bet it has something to do with the type of oil you used, maybe it has higher volatility and the fumes condensed in the breather and are dripping out?

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cillyone said:
It is impossible to over fill the diff, you can only fill it until it is up to the side fill plug and the more you pump in the more will spill out. What kind (wt and type) of oil did you put in? And are you sure it is gear oil on the floor? What does it smell like? Are you sure you did not spill some oil when refilling? If it is only a small spot, I would hold off hitting the panic button. If it is really gear oil, it sounds like it is coming out the breather and I would bet it has something to do with the type of oil you used, maybe it has higher volatility and the fumes condensed in the breather and are dripping out?

That is what I thought - How can I possibly over filled it? I used the Mobile syn diff oil (75 x 140 I believe) it is the same stuff I heard alot of Titan and Armada owners using. I changed it a couple months ago and my dad pointed out to me that I had a leak and I checked the fluid in his drive way and it was definetly oil. It was coming from the breather tube and has me concerned because of the drivers fender all around the underside of the air cleaner box was all wet and it ran down and dripped enough for there to be a spot about the size of a soda can on my dad's driveway and I was at his house for about 4 hours. I think I might get it in to the dealer and have it checked out because it should not have done this.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,985 Posts
FWIW, both times that I found front diff fluid on the ground, a pinion seal was shot and had to be replaced. The drive pinion seal was replaced then later the left flange pinion seal was replaced with a front diff rebuild and it's been good so far. (knock on wood)

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,985 Posts
Where is the fluid coming from then??

From my understanding, I think the Nissan Lube is Synthetic?? But, yes a quality Synthetic is good stuff, it usually has a longer break down period.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
its coming out of the diff vent by the air box under the hood, same problem as the OP. it should be noted that im a journeymen mechanic, so its not as if i missed a axle seal leak or pinion seal. what i may end up doing, is drining the diff oil to see how much fluid is in there. i was able to find a spec in my shop manuals for a 05 and a 07 for fluid capacity (1.6L of 80w90) but noting for a 06. ill drain, measure the amount and fill with 1.6L of oil. im unsure if ill use 75w140 syn or just gear oil as per the manual. i just wanted to see if the OP had his cituation resolved or not

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
I am having the same problem with the fluid coming out of the vent by the sir cleaner box. It just started doing since I had the pinion seal replaced.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Where is the fluid coming from then??

From my understanding, I think the Nissan Lube is Synthetic?? But, yes a quality Synthetic is good stuff, it usually has a longer break down period.
Thanks for the info Pops!!

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Same issue- twice

I have had this happen twice now, each time after I changed the diff. fluid. It's due to over filling. I added fluid, quite aggresively pumped into the housing then I quickly put the plug in to be sure I get as much as possible to stay in. Both times after I did it the excess fluid leaked out of that tube. I cleaned it up with some engine cleaner then watched for a few weeks. No other leakage and the level was still good to go when I checked the housing.

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Same happened to me. I did the same exact thing, pumped it in and put the plug on quick. I now wait a few mins. before I put the plug on in case I overfilled to let the extra drain until level with the hole.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.