Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly has been changed in the (I believe) three different generations of the Volant CAI?

What's the main change in the latest third gen? Is that the one with the plexiglass clear box lid??

Anybody have pics of the latest version installed.....or do you have one installed on your car?

Lemme know thanks! :moon:

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
The first generation had fit problems; the mounting holes didn't line up correctly.
The second generation fixed these problems, but the cover was thin and didn't seal very well.
The third generation has a new box design with a recessed aluminum cover that seems to fit well.
Volant never made a clear cover. I posted pictures of a clear cover I made, and several others have made them since.
I think it is a quality product. It is a true CAI, with the intake completely sealed so there is no intake of air from the hot engine compartment. Most other aftermarket units are not sealed and can take in hot air, defeating the purpose of a CAI.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I just installed the Gen3 Volant and knocked it out in 30 minutes. The cover's definately sealed this time around. As we all know, the Gen2 didn't seal well in the middle. I had the Gen2 prior to this install and noticed six differences on the Gen3. A) The intake pipe between the box and the throttle body is slightly larger in diameter by about 3-4mm. I can tell by eyeballing the Gen3 & Gen2 side by side. B) The rubber sleeve that came with the Gen3 that connects the throttle body and the intake pipe is larger in diameter too, to accomodate the larger pipe. C) The Volant logo is not on the rubber sleeve like the Gen2 had. D) The intake pipe now has brass threaded sleeves so you can use the OEM screws to mount the MAF instead of the self tapping screws that came with the Gen2. For some odd reason Volant still gave me self tapping screws with my Gen3. I had to dig out my OEM screws because Volant didn't supply them. Hopefully you kept yours if you installed a Gen2 prior. They also gave me an extra rubber sealing gasket that you put on the lip of the intake hole to seal the gap between the box and the fender. E)The intake box has a different design next to the hole where the box meets the hole in the fender wall. F) Last but not least....the chrome cover looks awesome and sits in a pocket around the whole perimeter of the intake box so it sits flush with the top of the box. It's definately stiffer which makes it seal better than the Gen2's plastic cover which made it bend easily when snugged down at the corners. I did notice if you start tightening the screws on the lid down to the point where you're squishing the foam pad under the cover, the corners tend to bend down which then arcs the middle between the screws up in the middle like the Gen2 did. It won't bend up as much because the new cover's metal. TIP....Before you put the cover on, slightly flex it like a "U". DON'T bend it literally like a "U"......just enough where there's a slight concave bend so when you put the lid on, the lid's resting on its bend in the middle. This way, when you tighten the corners down, the middle will stay down reducing the chance of a leak if you tighten it more than normal. Also, don't over tighten the screws because the foam pad will squish which will also bend the corners down. Check out the pic when I got done cleaning the whole engine bay. Hope this helps!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
The guy at the parts counter at my Nissan dealer sold it to me for $280+tax. Came out to $301.70.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
At my dealer it was. I only buy stuff for my vehicles at the dealer in case of warranty issues. You can always haggle them on prices there.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Excellent post!! :smart:

Gunslinger420 said:
I just installed the Gen3 Volant. Knocked it out in 30 minutes. The cover is definately sealed because as we all know, the Gen2 didn't seal well in the middle. I had the Gen2 prior to this install. I noticed six things different on the Gen3. A) The intake pipe between the box and the throttle body is slightly larger in diameter by about 3-4mm. I can tell by eyeballing the Gen3 & Gen2 side by side. B) The rubber sleeve that came with the Gen3 that connects the throttle body and the intake pipe is larger in diameter too, to accomodate the wider pipe. C) The Volant logo is not on the rubber sleeve. D) The intake pipe now has brass threaded sleeves so you can use the OEM screws to mount the MAF instead of the self tapping screws that came with the Gen2. For some odd reason they still gave me self tapping screws with my Gen3. I had to dig out my OEM screws because Volant didn't supply them. Hopefully you kept yours if you installed a Gen2 prior. They also gave me an extra rubber sealing grommet that you put on the lip of the intake hole to seal the gap between the box and the fender. E)The intake box has a different design next to the hole where the box meets the hole in the fender wall. F) Last but not least....the cover is beautiful and sits in a pocket around the whole intake box so the cover sits flush with the top of the box. It definately seals better than the Gen2 because it's metal not plastic which bends easily when snugged down at the corners. I did notice if you start tightening the screws on the lid down squishing the foam pad under the cover, the corners will tend to bend down and bend up in the middle like the Gen2 because of the thick pad. It won't bend up that much because the new cover is metal. TIP....before you put the cover on, slightly flex it like a "U". DON'T bend it literally like a "U"......just enough where there's a slight concave bend so when you put the lid on, the lid is resting on its middle. This way, when you tighten the corners down, the middle will stay down reducing the chance of a leak. Also, do not over tighten the screws because the foam pad will squish which will bend the corners down. Check out the pic when I got done cleaning the whole engine bay.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Wouldn't worry to much about after market parts voiding warranties. There is a well documented court precendent that puts the burden of proof on manufactuer of the car and/or the dealer to prove that an aftermarket part is the cause of a defect. Can't remember the name of the case but its on both forums. It's your perogative but don't feel obligated to buy mods from dealers to save the warranty. Check out this link:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm#Magnuson-Moss

Gunslinger420 said:
At my dealer it was. I only buy stuff for my vehicles at the dealer in case of warranty issues. You can always haggle them on prices there.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Intake Scoop for G3

Do you know if there is a Intake Scoop available for the G3 like there is on the G2? Did you feel any power gain at the wheels?
Thanks for the Reply.

Gunslinger420 said:
I just installed the Gen3 Volant and knocked it out in 30 minutes. The cover's definately sealed this time around. As we all know, the Gen2 didn't seal well in the middle. I had the Gen2 prior to this install and noticed six differences on the Gen3. A) The intake pipe between the box and the throttle body is slightly larger in diameter by about 3-4mm. I can tell by eyeballing the Gen3 & Gen2 side by side. B) The rubber sleeve that came with the Gen3 that connects the throttle body and the intake pipe is larger in diameter too, to accomodate the larger pipe. C) The Volant logo is not on the rubber sleeve like the Gen2 had. D) The intake pipe now has brass threaded sleeves so you can use the OEM screws to mount the MAF instead of the self tapping screws that came with the Gen2. For some odd reason Volant still gave me self tapping screws with my Gen3. I had to dig out my OEM screws because Volant didn't supply them. Hopefully you kept yours if you installed a Gen2 prior. They also gave me an extra rubber sealing gasket that you put on the lip of the intake hole to seal the gap between the box and the fender. E)The intake box has a different design next to the hole where the box meets the hole in the fender wall. F) Last but not least....the chrome cover looks awesome and sits in a pocket around the whole perimeter of the intake box so it sits flush with the top of the box. It's definately stiffer which makes it seal better than the Gen2's plastic cover which made it bend easily when snugged down at the corners. I did notice if you start tightening the screws on the lid down to the point where you're squishing the foam pad under the cover, the corners tend to bend down which then arcs the middle between the screws up in the middle like the Gen2 did. It won't bend up as much because the new cover's metal. TIP....Before you put the cover on, slightly flex it like a "U". DON'T bend it literally like a "U"......just enough where there's a slight concave bend so when you put the lid on, the lid's resting on its bend in the middle. This way, when you tighten the corners down, the middle will stay down reducing the chance of a leak if you tighten it more than normal. Also, don't over tighten the screws because the foam pad will squish which will also bend the corners down. Check out the pic when I got done cleaning the whole engine bay. Hope this helps!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.