Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was searching around on the Titan site and saw that many are appearing to have differential fluid problems. Looks as if they are overheating and what not. Has anyone replaced their fluids yet? Which weight oils?

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
I used 75/90w @ 3k and again @ 6k & 9k. It looked real nasty at 3k and not as bad at 9k. Will go to synthetic as soon as my organic is gone.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
TooTall said:
Was searching around on the Titan site and saw that many are appearing to have differential fluid problems. Looks as if they are overheating and what not. Has anyone replaced their fluids yet? Which weight oils?
Especially change it if you tow. The manual says to change with your first oil change when towing. I did, and it was dark! Haven't changed since (we're at 11K), but plan to at 15K, probably to synthetic.

Keith

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
The 04 owner's manual calls for 80W-90 in both the front and rear.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
scr38 said:
The 04 owner's manual calls for 80W-90 in both the front and rear.
Hmm...thats odd. I wonder if the Titan's rear diff is different than ours. It looks like they are all putting 75w-140 in.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
The dealer told me to use 75W-140. That is what I am using. First diff change at 2500. very dark.

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
The Titan differential is different than tha Armada. The Armada has independent rear supension. The housing and cover are completely different. Our Armadas come with an aluminum cover for better cooling (The Titans are now coming with a aluminum cover). Armadas have not been having the overheating and failures like the Titans. Nissan changed the Titan's fluid to a synthetic 75-140 to help with the problems. (along with the aluminum cover).
It sure won't hurt to change tha Armada to a syn 75-140. You should do this if you are doing regular towing.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Great info on the diff. Was trying to figure out why they were having so many problems with the Titan and not the Armada.

I'll change out both diffs and the transfer case in the next couple of weeks (I'm at 30k) and I"ll do my best to document the change. My plan is to go with synthetic 75W-140 and ATF.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Serious Differential Prblems

Hey back in Jan my front differential snapped not sure why was doing regular city driving pulled into a gasstaion and saw a blob of oil where I was waiting to gas up, initially thought nothing of it becaue there was a 1973 Ford F-150 in front of me an I thought for sure it was from that needless to say when I got in my garage and later pulled out it was mine! Man did that suck took 3 weeks to get it back, at least I got a rental...a Ford Focus!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts