Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I have an 2004 SE 4X4 with 227,860 miles on it. In October 2021at 218,276 miles I was living in Commiefornia and had to get my manifolds swapped out (P1283). I must be dumb because I couldn't for the life of me find any that would ship to my home so I could wrench them in. All were NO SHIP TO CALIFORNIA (CARB number required) . Ebay, Amazon, you name it. No dice. Sooo, off to the dealer I went. All O2 sensors and two manifolds plus labor = $5,762.
The kicker, now its 2022 and I didn't even make it a year and guess what? P1283 must have really missed me because it's back. This time "pending".
On the off chance it was a fluke I did the O2 sensor calibration. Nope. Two drives later totalling roughly 90 miles it's back. MIL on. Bummer. Im in Arizona now so no smog bs to deal with. It still runs great, just wants to drink fuel like I own stock in Chevron. Contrary to what I have read in some posts P1283 does not make it run leaner, just the opposite. The O2 sensor sees a lean condition ( Lean condition, bank 2 sensor 1 ) and throws more fuel at it. Gas smell and sooty exhaust pipe is a big clue. Anyway now I'm looking at getting my mits on a set of aftermarket tubular manifolds with cats attached as I want the MIL to stay off. The original design by nissan is a disgusting disgrace. Take a sheet of steel, stamp it to form a half of a tube. Do that again and weld them together. Then add a heavy cat to the end to bounce up and down with every single pothole. Yep that'll last. Oh, and if you look at the mounting flange you will notice that between the last and second to last runner it has been sliced in half. On purpose As in to redirect stress into the middle of where both of those runners meet. Right where it cracks. On all of them. Intended design flaw? I really think so. A class action lawsuit is in order with a totally new design of manifold being the outcome and refunds all around. A guy can dream can't he?

Anyway, that's what I did today with my Armada.

At least I'm sure the MIL LED works.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Hi guys.

I have an 2004 SE 4X4 with 227,860 miles on it. In October 2021at 218,276 miles I was living in Commiefornia and had to get my manifolds swapped out (P1283). I must be dumb because I couldn't for the life of me find any that would ship to my home so I could wrench them in. All were NO SHIP TO CALIFORNIA (CARB number required) . Ebay, Amazon, you name it. No dice. Sooo, off to the dealer I went. All O2 sensors and two manifolds plus labor = $5,762.
The kicker, now its 2022 and I didn't even make it a year and guess what? P1283 must have really missed me because it's back. This time "pending".
On the off chance it was a fluke I did the O2 sensor calibration. Nope. Two drives later totalling roughly 90 miles it's back. MIL on. Bummer. Im in Arizona now so no smog bs to deal with. It still runs great, just wants to drink fuel like I own stock in Chevron. Contrary to what I have read in some posts P1283 does not make it run leaner, just the opposite. The O2 sensor sees a lean condition ( Lean condition, bank 2 sensor 1 ) and throws more fuel at it. Gas smell and sooty exhaust pipe is a big clue. Anyway now I'm looking at getting my mits on a set of aftermarket tubular manifolds with cats attached as I want the MIL to stay off. The original design by nissan is a disgusting disgrace. Take a sheet of steel, stamp it to form a half of a tube. Do that again and weld them together. Then add a heavy cat to the end to bounce up and down with every single pothole. Yep that'll last. Oh, and if you look at the mounting flange you will notice that between the last and second to last runner it has been sliced in half. On purpose As in to redirect stress into the middle of where both of those runners meet. Right where it cracks. On all of them. Intended design flaw? I really think so. A class action lawsuit is in order with a totally new design of manifold being the outcome and refunds all around. A guy can dream can't he?

Anyway, that's what I did today with my Armada.

At least I'm sure the MIL LED works.
I've had this code come up on my 05 mada LE. I live in Canada an English expat now in Alberta . I had problems with my cats as the system could not breathe and was choked. It got to the point I was driving from Kelowna ( british Columbia ) got to a town called Golden , this was december 2021 I'm basically driving up this mountain side I could not even get to 30 mph ( 45kmh ) . Had the rear cats removed and straight piped still had problems. Ended up replacing the front cats with new sensors car runs great , then I get the p1283 code . I looked up the probable causes and just went back to the beginning and checked my O2 sensors weren't shorting or got burned on the exhaust and pushed the connection just to make sure it was tight. So far it has not come back on , so I'm playing the waiting game now
Also I found when I replaced my cats that the manifold was broken on both of the cats I got after market ones and these are thicker than nissan original cats . Just a thought but give the terminals another push can't hurt unless the engines hot lol

1 - 2 of 2 Posts