Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Armada
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As noted in previous posts, I too require the entire 40 lb dust cover / skid plate (LoL) to be removed for access to my oil filter. I did this access point to ease the drama... Just sharing... reach if any has interest in this mod.... Sharing is caring..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I used a plasma cutter to open the area for a filter change. No cover install, just a round access hole as the cover is without benefit to me and pulling it is a PITA. Woody

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Armada
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I used a plasma cutter to open the area for a filter change. No cover install, just a round access hole as the cover is without benefit to me and pulling it is a PITA. Woody
PITA is an understatement!! I used a jig saw and followed that factory contour for the opening... seems at one time, Nissan had it opened (I thought I seen this opening cut out from the factory in one of our other models..) ... but management changed their mind... an extra die cut and .11 cent rubber plug didnt make the cut. Thanks!
ps. I had spare piece of 1/4 Plexiglas sitting around... made it my opening cover... Murphy follows me...

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Armada
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great question!
Well, I feel it's there for a reason.. possibly rain, road grime, splash ups ( the alternator is right there), cooling dynamics or maybe aero dynamics and it does protect the front side of the motor from road debris.... I drive mine 98% street and highway as well... The factory has it there for a reason... Maybe others have an idea.. 👍

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Not sure if this is different than my 2007, but I just take it off when needed by removing the two front bolts and loosening the two rear bolts.

I had one bolt snap (had dealership rethread and put a new one in) so I coated them with anti-seize and it has been fine ever since.

I actually like the shield and don't change the oil so much where it becomes a nuisance.

·
Registered
2015 Armada SV 4X4
5 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts. All older vehicles I've owned didn't have anything installed there. Trucks, 4x's, muscle cars etc. I never had damage in those days and I spent allot of time going sideways down gravel roads or being buried up past the axles in mud and snow. And not having it in the way, one could crawl under and see if anything was amiss. The metal that the bolts and thread into is too soft. The oil change mechanics often strip out them out or cross thread the bolts in their haste. I also have a 2005 Titan that I had to retap the threads and then just use zip screws (self taping and treading) just to secure the damn thing. I'm retired now and have been doing my own service work, which I enjoy, but dealing with the shields has become a pain. Until someone can give me a good reason why they are needed, I'm going to leave them off for now. I'll let everyone know if I have issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts