Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove an 04 Armada today and my wife instantly noticed that the passenger seat is sloped in the wrong direction causing the passenger to slide forward in the seat. This is great if your passenger is wearing a mini skirt :D but I don't think this is what Nissan had intended. I can't find any TSB's for this problem and the 05 Armada passenger seats are fine. The build date on the 04 Armada was 11/03 so we were wondering if all 04's have this problem and if so did anyone get Nissan to correct it on theirs?

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
They fixed this for '05, but unfortunately it's a bug for the '04 models. Some guys were sticking washers in between the seat mounts and the floor and bolting them down, but I don't think I'd go there. We've gotten used to it.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks adjmcloon,

I wonder if they changed the seat frame design in the 05 or raised the mounting surface on the floor. If I had to guess it would probably be the seat frame since this would be the least expensive way to go for Nissan. The second row captains chairs on the 04 we drove seemed fine though.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I have the same problem. I went to the dealer and they said they will replace my seat with the new one. The new seat is contoured correctly and should be fine.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
ockevin said:
I have the same problem. I went to the dealer and they said they will replace my seat with the new one. The new seat is contoured correctly and should be fine.
WOW, they said they will do it or have they actually done the change for you? The reason they have problems is that the seats in the 04's are made to fold down nice and flat, but they forgot that this is actually a seat that people will need to use and not just a table.

So in 05 they changed the seats to the 04 QX56 style seats and if you notice the new seats also have a different seat belt connector. So if they swap that one seat out for you they will have to do both to match??

Please let me know if they do this change for you....becasue if they do then I'll know I have a green light to raise hell and get mine swapped out also! :)

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I have an 05 and my passenger seat is sloped forward. How do I check if indeed it has the new seats?

Also, slightly separate question, but I can't get my front seat to fold flat. It'll only fold down about 50-60%. How do I get it to go all the way down?

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Hey, I posted the washer fix

I jacked up the leading edge of my passenger seat in April 2004. I used a pile of fender washers and longer bolts. I'm not an engineer but to me it is obvious that the floorboard or seat stanchions will tear long before the longer bolts will shear.

That said, if Nissan has a real fix, I would love to know about it. In the mean time, I might add some more washers.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Is this on cloth seats? My passenger is adjustable. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
schneid said:
I jacked up the leading edge of my passenger seat in April 2004. I used a pile of fender washers and longer bolts. I'm not an engineer but to me it is obvious that the floorboard or seat stanchions will tear long before the longer bolts will shear.

That said, if Nissan has a real fix, I would love to know about it. In the mean time, I might add some more washers.
You are right that the floor will likely tear before the bolts break..BUT by using the longer bolts you have increased the rotational force and the floor is MUCH more likely to tear out now. You've also increased the likely hood of causing a fatigue problem with the longer bolt. Eveytime someone sits in the seat it will move slighty, bending the floor around the bolt, eventually it will weaken the floor. You may not of jacked it up enough for it to be a huge concern but I gaurantee under the same circumstances yours will fail before mine.....well at least the floorboard part maybe, the rest of my passenger seat sounds like it is made of styrofoam, tin foil and somewhere they hid a wind chime.

I think a better way to fix the seat is to put washers under the two mounting points on the bottom on the seat cushion. I started to do this once but didn't have long enough bolts to handle adding some washers and just never got around to it
(oh and I am an engineer:))

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
"and somewhere they hid a wind chime."

That's too funny. My passenger seat squeak just came back- time to break out the WD-40.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
More on bolts

I thought about mounting them top side but the bolts are much smaller there. Isn't putting washers under the stanchion and using longer bolts the same process that it used to lift a truck? Spacers and longer bolts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts