Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Nissan Armada Platinum Flex 4x4
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed some catch cans this weekend; super easy to do.

If anyone want to do this you will need about 7' of 3/8" fuel line, and 8 hose clamps (or 4 new ones if you want to reuse the oem clamps)

Run the fuel line from the valve cover into the catch can, then out of the catch can into the air intake.
Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Vehicle

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Steering wheel

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire

·
Registered
2021 Nissan Armada SL
242 Posts
Is "dual" overkill? I think the idea of a catchcan for a direct injection engine is a great idea but would one work? There was a company that I used for my Titan (the bracket was different) and the can actually caught a fairly large amount of oil that would have ended up on top of the valves, right? Good call and it looks like good work! The company I bought from was JLT I think - and I think they are working on a kit for the new Armadas too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is "dual" overkill? I think the idea of a catchcan for a direct injection engine is a great idea but would one work? There was a company that I used for my Titan (the bracket was different) and the can actually caught a fairly large amount of oil that would have ended up on top of the valves, right? Good call and it looks like good work! The company I bought from was JLT I think - and I think they are working on a kit for the new Armadas too.
Yes one catch can would work just fine, but it ends up looking messy in the engine bay since you need tee fittings to connect the lines together before they enter the catch can, and tee fittings on the lines after leaving the catch can. So 2 cans looks much cleaner, and also provides more vacuum for your crankcase to relieve pressure.
Heres an example of a single catch can setup, looks better with the engine cover to hide all the hoses, but im not a fan of the cover so i leave mine off.
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

I see youve got a newer model armada which means you have a different engine (VK56VD, vs mine is VK56DE), your armada has direct injection but mine doesnt, so its definitely a good idea for you to install one (or two) of these to prevent carbon buildup.

·
Registered
2021 Nissan Armada SL
242 Posts
Yes one catch can would work just fine, but it ends up looking messy in the engine bay since you need tee fittings to connect the lines together before they enter the catch can, and tee fittings on the lines after leaving the catch can. So 2 cans looks much cleaner, and also provides more vacuum for your crankcase to relieve pressure.
Heres an example of a single catch can setup, looks better with the engine cover to hide all the hoses, but im not a fan of the cover so i leave mine off.
View attachment 51867
I see youve got a newer model armada which means you have a different engine (VK56VD, vs mine is VK56DE), your armada has direct injection but mine doesnt, so its definitely a good idea for you to install one (or two) of these to prevent carbon buildup.
Agreed - it does look much cleaner.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What catch cans did you use? I'm debating on doing this, along with other mods.

·
Premium Member
2012 Nissan Armada SL
435 Posts
How much oil do you drain from yours?
Actually haven't gotten to my first oil change with them yet, and I run Royal Purple so I go a bit longer between changes. I did drain them after a month and together there was perhaps half an ounce worth.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I ended up getting some catch cans. But, I've seen that people say they are labeled backwards (IN/OUT). Shouldn't the filter go on the intake side and the open side go to the PCV? It's labeled for the open side to intake and filtered side to PCV.
Red Gas Electric blue Carmine Engineering

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up getting some catch cans. But, I've seen that people say they are labeled backwards (IN/OUT). Shouldn't the filter go on the intake side and the open side go to the PCV? It's labeled for the open side to intake and filtered side to PCV.
View attachment 51875
That's a good question and something I hadn't noticed, but I believe that the filter is more used to knock the oil out of the air so that it can drip down into the can. After looking at a bunch for sale, all of them have the filter on the inlet port, I'm sure there is good reason for this. here is what mine looks like, the filter is on the inlet port, but you can see there are 2 deflectors and a baffle preventing oil from reaching the outlet port
Light Product Gas Automotive tire Auto part

1 - 11 of 11 Posts