Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
According to Nissan and www.e85fuel.com, the Armada is a flexible fuel vehicle. While there is reportedly a 5-15% decrease in fuel economy, the 100-105 octane fuel is $.60 a gallon less expensive in Denver due to subsidies of E85 and taxes on regular gas.

Has anyone tried to fuel the mighty Armada with ethanol? What's your experience? 25 gallons (out of 28 gallon tank) x $.60 = $15 savings per fill-up... More on E85 in a New York Times article today at http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/10/business/10alternative.html

Let's say we average 14 miles a gallon. 25 gallons yields a range of 350 miles.

Reducing that 14 by 15% yields 11.9 mpg, or a range of 297.5.

The extra 52.5 miles would require an extra 4.4 gallons of Ethanol, at a cost of $2.39 in Denver. That's $10.54 extra in fuel for the same range, assuming the worst (15% reduction in fuel economy).

Up front, I will save $15 ($2.99 / gal v. $2.39 / gal), but will truly yield only $4.46 savings per 350 miles. Granted, this is assuming worst case on the fuel economy of the E85 and does not take into account that E85 is supposedly more environmentally friendly and reduces dependence on the mideast, etc.

With only a 5% reduction in fuel economy, we'll experience a true savings of $11.86 per 350 miles.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,215 Posts
Not all Armadas are fuel flexible. Before trying any of the ethanol fuels be sure to look for a sticker inside the fuel tank door and under the hood that states it is fuel flexible. You will cause damage to your truck if you put E85 in a vehicle that is not fuel flexible. My 04 Armada is not fuel flexible. Even if my Armada was fuel flexible I don't think I would use E85. The reduction in performance is not worth the very small savings in fuel cost.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7 Posts
What is the difference in the FFV truck? There is no price difference on the sticker. I looked high and low for an FFV model, but couldn't find one anywhere in AZ. If it's simple enough (like an ECU reflash) I'd like to get mine converted.

Mitch
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,215 Posts
BroncoAZ said:
What is the difference in the FFV truck? There is no price difference on the sticker. I looked high and low for an FFV model, but couldn't find one anywhere in AZ. If it's simple enough (like an ECU reflash) I'd like to get mine converted.

Mitch
It's not that simple. FFV vehicles have to have special fule lines, seals, etc. that will stand up to the ethanol.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
60 Posts
According to the E85 website, only 2005 -2006 Titans with the 4 th digit of the VIn as a letter B. No other Nissan vehicles listed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24 Posts
Ethanol contains 30% less heat energy then gasoline, so you may want to watch your milage closely.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3 Posts
Hello! I noticed on the E-85 website that the Nissan Titan can use the new E-85 gas. For those that didn't know, E-85 is a gas that is mostly Ethanol and costs much less...like less than $2.00 per gallon!!!! It also prolongs the engine life since it burns cleaner.

www.e85fuel.com

Has anyone checked into this or know if the Armada can use this fuel?

I sent Nissan an email with no response yet.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
95 Posts
jonlee said:
Hello! I noticed on the E-85 website that the Nissan Titan can use the new E-85 gas. For those that didn't know, E-85 is a gas that is mostly Ethanol and costs much less...like less than $2.00 per gallon!!!! It also prolongs the engine life since it burns cleaner.

www.e85fuel.com

Has anyone checked into this or know if the Armada can use this fuel?

I sent Nissan an email with no response yet.
I would think the Armada would be covered as well. Sounds great, but the closest refueling facility is 120 miles away.

Furthermore, my understanding of methanol is that it is fact not as good for your motor as fossil fuel. Seals, rings, gaskets etc. will degrade faster. Methanol is in fact cleaner, but in this case it's not better for your engine, but for the environment.

I didn't buy an Armada for fueld economy, and woudn't consider comprimising it's integrity over a few bucks. Bought the wrong vehicle if you would.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,215 Posts
If your Armada is ready for E-85 there will be a sticker inside the fuel door and under the hood. You can't use E-85 in a vehicle not set up for it. Also E-85 has only about 75% energy as gasoline, so your mileage will decrease 25%, and performance will also decrease. Not worth it in my opinion.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
68 Posts
I have an '04 Armada and I'm intersted in E85. Is there a "conversion" or some modification available to enable E85 consumption in my Armada? I looked at my sticker and it didn't say "FFV" on it anywhere...

Drew
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
umytbnext said:
I have an '04 Armada and I'm intersted in E85. Is there a "conversion" or some modification available to enable E85 consumption in my Armada? I looked at my sticker and it didn't say "FFV" on it anywhere...

Drew
The cost to convert to FFV is to much for you to see any saving in fuel cost.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
i'd use it if there were any e85 gas stations in my area, there's only like 2 in NC and 3 in VA. I'm close to the ones in VA but they are all military bases. Bummer
and yes I have the flex fuel truck, i was wondering what the sticker inside my fuel tank lid meant until i looked it up online
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18 Posts
i think the fuel mileage reduction is more like 30%, not 5-15%, which makes it no cost savings at all.

but if its 100 octane, that should have the potential for betrer performance, amking it worthwhile.

I wouldnt trust the gas door sticker, check your VIN. If 4th digit is B, your flex fuel, if its A, your not.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
166 Posts
That high octane is going to HURT performance. In a nutshell the higher the octane rating the harder it is for the fuel to ignite. You want the lowest octane possible without causing pre-detonation, or "knocking"

FWIW E85 actually takes more resources per BTU to produce then regular fuel.

E85 would be worth it in an engine that was designed to run it from the get go....IE very high compression or high boost or both, but this engine wouldn't be able to run on pump gas.

You may save more at the pump running E85, but after you factor in all the resources used in making the stuff it is exponentionally more expensive $$$ and environmentally then good ol fossil fuels.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18 Posts
modern cars have very powerful and clean ignition systems. Igniting it shouldnt be a problem. There was a debate over the Armada/titan actually having tha same engine and ecu as the infiniti Q56 which is rated at 315 HP, most saying that they are identical except the infiniti recommends premium fuel, thus with premium in the armada/titan, you would see a performance benefit
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
166 Posts
mach1 said:
modern cars have very powerful and clean ignition systems. Igniting it shouldnt be a problem. There was a debate over the Armada/titan actually having tha same engine and ecu as the infiniti Q56 which is rated at 315 HP, most saying that they are identical except the infiniti recommends premium fuel, thus with premium in the armada/titan, you would see a performance benefit
Well then that was a lot of people not knowing the facts, simply spouting what they read from armchair mechanics. The Q may have more agressive timing, or a, different ECU MAP, which would require higher octane fuel. If you don't believe me, just reaserch and then you will agree with me. Higher octane fuel simply allows a higher compression ratio engine to run with out blowing up. Here I will help:
http://dnr.louisiana.gov/sec/execdiv/techasmt/ecep/trans/b/b.htm
http://toyotaperformance.com/fuel_octane.htm
http://www.answers.com/topic/petrol
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
166 Posts
mach1 said:
modern cars have very powerful and clean ignition systems. Igniting it shouldnt be a problem. There was a debate over the Armada/titan actually having tha same engine and ecu as the infiniti Q56 which is rated at 315 HP, most saying that they are identical except the infiniti recommends premium fuel, thus with premium in the armada/titan, you would see a performance benefit

Igniting the fuel isn't a problem. Preventing it from igniting before you want IS the problem.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18 Posts
EagerCrow said:
Igniting the fuel isn't a problem. Preventing it from igniting before you want IS the problem.
I didnt say igniting was the problem, somebody else did.

Are you saying the E85 is prone to detonation?
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top