Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks after buying a used 2019 Armada it wouldn’t start and had a BCI failure fault. It had to be towed to the dealer. I was told around March 20th 2020 an ECM reprogramming recall was released believed to alleviate the no start faults and possibly the BCI malfunction. They believe battery power drainage is the main culprit from systems staying on after shutting off. We’ll see. Recall P0A6A

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took my 2019 Armada in for the same thing in January for the ECM reprogram. I had to jumpstart it again for the same problem this weekend. Took it in again to the dealership and they said tested battery (good) and said the ECM reprogram was up to date and that "Problem is under Nissan Engineering." I guess I'll have to buy a jump starter now until they fix it permanently. Have a case started with the BBB and a complaint filed with Nissan corporate. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a used 2019 Armada Platinum in Nov and by May it wouldn't start at times. Took it to the dealer and they said it was an electronic recall that drained the battery. The day after that I got my first BCI Malfunction. Now less than a month later the BCI Malfunction is popping up again randomly. Calling the dealer to see what they say. Doubt it will be anything helpful.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hope this gets resolved. Haven't experienced this with my 19 but definitely give that "this is unacceptable" vibe. Keep us updated, curious if it's truly an ECM issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hope this gets resolved. Haven't experienced this with my 19 but definitely give that "this is unacceptable" vibe. Keep us updated, curious if it's truly an ECM issue.
My dealership called back last week and said at the advice of the district service tech, they want me to bring it in and put in a new larger Interstate battery. Said they tried it with another truck and haven’t had any problems. I am skeptical because it seems to not be a battery problem but a charging problem with either the ECM controls or alternator. We’ll see...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took my 2019 Armada in for the same thing in January for the ECM reprogram. I had to jumpstart it again for the same problem this weekend. Took it in again to the dealership and they said tested battery (good) and said the ECM reprogram was up to date and that "Problem is under Nissan Engineering." I guess I'll have to buy a jump starter now until they fix it permanently. Have a case started with the BBB and a complaint filed with Nissan corporate. Stay tuned.
Any updates? Having same issues w/our 2019 Armada. We have had about 5 dead battery situations in last several months: have replaced battery, done the ECM repair, still dead batteries - and dealer claims nothing wrong. Suggestions?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nissan arbitration department set me up with a district service tech. They are putting a new battery in it. They said they’ve done it with another truck and haven’t had any problems but it’s only been a month. My problem seems to be happening every few months so not confident this will be a permanent fix. Getting the new battery next week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally posting an update to our service 2mos ago for the BCI malfunction. The said there was an update for the computer software. Since then I have not had any malfunction notifications, but it did install the rear passenger alert with that update.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for sharing your experience.

I got a postcard from my local Nissan dealer about the ECM recall. I took my 2019 Armada in and explained that the in-dash voltmeter goes below mid point for extended times. I measured as low as 11.9V on my ODB2. Obviously that will not charge the battery.
The service advisor claimed he understood the issue and that the bulletin will fix this issue. They applied campaign ID P0A05 .

Well, as soon as I drove out of the facility I saw that the 11.9V issue is still there. The more I drive it the more the battery gets discharged.

Sadly, I am not surprised after reading this thread.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good day all. I have a 2018 Armada Platinum and I have had the BCI come up about six times. Once, the vehicle barely started and cranked over very slow. That was a surprise. The dealership is pointing toward the brake switch. We will see, they are replacing it tomorrow morning but I will also point out these campaign numbers you have supplied. Fingers crossed. :)

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Thought mine was spared but apparently not. Started having this low batt voltage issue about 3 months ago and at one time the truck didn't start. It takes a few days (5-6 days) for the truck not to start though. Logs showed >14V only for the first few minutes (3-5 mins) then goes down <12V thereafter. Voltage reading at the terminals hovers around 12.1 - 12.2V - that's even after >2hrs trip. It's really a non-issue for me as my battery tender is just 2 ft away from where I park and I also understand there are battery charging 'feature' nowadays which aren't really designed to fully charge the battery but to only replenish what was lost during startup and maybe add a few more Coulombs.

Anyways, something different happened today. Looks positive but too early to tell and I'm still observing and taking more logs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good evening. The dealership replaced the brake switch and all is well. This was about 3 weeks ago and so far so good. I was having starting issues and BCI light on. They said it all ties into that switch. Time will tell. Now I had some work done privately which required a couple of the doors open for a while. After work was completed, the battery was dead. I had another incident after having the four way flashers on for about a half hour. The vehicle started but turned over very slow. I have read in other threads about quick battery depletion. Anyone had a similar issue with a dealership fix ??

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
the battery charging system does not fully charge the battery as one would think. this is by nissans design.

there is a thread stickied at the top of the "problems" sub forum. ou should read it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same issue and put a thread up about the recall. But I purchased my 19 sl in August 20 and they replaced the battery cause it went dead on the wife the day after buying. It idled higher than normal and I felt it wasn't shifting right. Took it to the dealer to diagnose and they said it was normal. End of last month ish it went dead on the wife twice and I charged the battery fully both times and it still wouldn't last so it went back to the Infiniti dealer and sat for 3 days just so they could tell me there's a recall for the ECM and they couldn't do it because they didn't have Nissan software. Finally got it to Nissan and seems to be fine now. Idles lower/normal and shifts better and hasn't sent dead on the wife anymore...

the battery charging system does not fully charge the battery as one would think. this is by nissans design.

there is a thread stickied at the top of the "problems" sub forum. ou should read it.
Before replacing the battery I do remember searching for info on it and I remember seeing something about the battery not being big enough for everything the Armada has. If I didn't have an extended warranty I'd probably get a bigger alternator/battery(if one would fit) and the big 3 audio upgrade for it just to make sure everything is getting enough juice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been having the same problem with my '19 Armada SL randomly not starting. Good info on this forum got me to the ECM service bulletin. I'll be picking up the truck from the dealership today after they completed the ECM software update and they also replaced the brake switch that they mentioned is one of the potential causes. We'll see how she holds up over the next week or two.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts