Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Armada that is cutting out at 3500 rpm. It only does it occasionally. It will have no problem getting up to speed, but at 3500 RPM it will stall almost like it is limp mode. And when it is in park and I rev the engine it will hit 3500 and not go past it. No check engine light or anything has come on. It has only happened a couple of times and is not a consistent issue at this time. We did have a slightly similar problem when we first purchased the car 3 years ago which ended up being the ECV Valve. When that happened the car went in to full limp mode and all of the check engine lights came on. Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

·
Administrator
6,409 Posts
did you buy it new? or used? cant tell from your description.
have you used a code reader at the obd port to check for any stored codes?
any maintenance records one the car if its used?

my thoguhts:

• foul petrol
  • petrol pump/filter?
-tranny fluid low and/or incorrect fluid used
-coil packs/plugs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you buy it new? or used? cant tell from your description.
have you used a code reader at the obd port to check for any stored codes?
any maintenance records one the car if its used?

my thoguhts:

• foul petrol
  • petrol pump/filter?
-tranny fluid low and/or incorrect fluid used
-coil packs/plugs?
I bought the car with 16K miles. It was an off lease vehicle that was Nissan Certified from the dealer. It currently has 69K miles. I have not had it hooked up to check codes. This is the second time in about 2 months I have experienced the issue. My wife drives it daily and she has not noticed it before.

·
Registered
321 Posts
@Elroy any resolution to this?

Our 2018 SV 4x4 with 69k did it today midway through our trip home from SC. Same exact situation as you.

-runs fine and idles fine, up to 3500 rpm. At 3500 it acts like a rev limiter and will not allow the engine to rev past that.
-in neutral or park it will also not allow RPM over 3500.
-but if you keep the RPM below 3500 it will gain speed as normal.
-we stopped again and I shut the engine off, turned it back on and drove another 60 miles home without it happening again.
-no CEL and no stored codes. I do have a diagnostic tool at home.

I have read other Nissans having the exact same issue with no CEL and no codes. It was a VVTI solenoid.

Any other Armada owners experience this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Elroy any resolution to this?

Our 2018 SV 4x4 with 69k did it today midway through our trip home from SC. Same exact situation as you.

-runs fine and idles fine, up to 3500 rpm. At 3500 it acts like a rev limiter and will not allow the engine to rev past that.
-in neutral or park it will also not allow RPM over 3500.
-but if you keep the RPM below 3500 it will gain speed as normal.
-we stopped again and I shut the engine off, turned it back on and drove another 60 miles home without it happening again.
-no CEL and no stored codes. I do have a diagnostic tool at home.

I have read other Nissans having the exact same issue with no CEL and no codes. It was a VVTI solenoid.

Any other Armada owners experience this?
After having the issue a couple of more times this winter we recently got it serviced (oil change/air filter/etc) and took it on a 2000 mile round trip. Dealer was showing no codes and acted like they had no idea what the issue I could be describing was. Had no problems with it on the drive and none since.

·
Registered
321 Posts
After having the issue a couple of more times this winter we recently got it serviced (oil change/air filter/etc) and took it on a 2000 mile round trip. Dealer was showing no codes and acted like they had no idea what the issue I could be describing was. Had no problems with it on the drive and none since.
Do you tow?
Did the dealer have any input at all after hearing you describe the issue?

I actually took a video of mine doing it for proof at the dealer. I found one Infiniti that had the same issue with no codes. Ended up being a VVTI sensor.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Armada was at the dealer yesterday.
My wife showed them the video that I took of this happening on our trip last month.
They took down a very detailed report that I provided to them.
But ultimately they couldn't do anything. There were no codes, no stored codes, and no stored data pertaining to that event.

It is documented however and if it happens again it's going straight to the dealer and I'm escalating to Nissan USA.
I explained to the dealer, whether they want to admit it or not, that it's a safety concern if this happens again and the vehicle is unable to accelerate to merge, climb a hill, or pull out of an intersection.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I have the same issue. Rev is limited to 3500 on Tach of my 2017 Armada with 68K miles. Upon rev engine cuts off at 3500 RPM. Occurs while driving or in park. Stop and restarted the engine several times. Heard a unique click noise right after engine is started. I mean right at the end of starting the engine. Did it each time I heard that click. Just stop and started the engine until I no longer heard that "click" noise upon starting. Takes about 8 or 10 times. No issues after that. Then it did it again about a month later. Same issue. Same fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts