Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’ve had this problem with a 2008 armada se I bought at auction. When I bought it the only code I had was a p0335 crank position sensor. I replaced it and put in new battery went away for a while. Battery died I charged it and it came back. Replaced it with another one from autozone and it remains, bought oem from dealer and the problem got worse. It went from being able to run and drive to long start to stall when put in gear. Everything was fine until I changed it to the autozone and oem cps. Any ideas what it might be? The head tech at dealer was stumped.

Also with my obd reader the power load is at 28% and when I put in gear it goes up to 40 or up to 100 while stalling

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
so have you re-ran your code reader to see if other codes are present ? or are you JUST seeing the one code you listed above?
what is the mileage on the car and do you have the maintenance records/"carfax" type history report on it?

P0335 NISSAN Possible Causes
  • Faulty crankshaft position sensor
  • Crankshaft position sensor harness is open or shorted
  • Crankshaft position sensor circuit poor electrical connection
  • Signal plate may be damage
  • Starter motor may be faulty
  • Starting system circuit
  • Dead or weak battery
you may have a continuity issue with a wiring harness, or the sensor you replaced could be faulty! re-check the pins for the sensor you replaced - they could be bent or damaged.

if your battery is weak, once the car is trying to turn over, the battery could drop to low volts causing the sensor to throw a code.

as far as the battery, the system does not charge the battery sufficiently. there is a sticky thread atop this subform you should read to get a better idea of the charging system on the armada.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did re run codes, had high voltage engine bank a and b. I did check pins also back pinned the cps power and ground and signal pins and checked out. I checked harness for open short and open to power, harness checked out. Back pinned cps signal at ecm it was fine. Starter is strong. I believe it’s the Walmart battery. I know Nissan is Particular on battery. Reason for believing this, yesterday I was doing a last chance hope of poor ground to engine. I had long crank and finally got it started and warmed up. I turned on ac radio etc, after 20 minutes of idle the engine settled down with rpm jumping from 680 to 800 to resting at 750 +/- 10. When my daughter opened the door and lights came on the rpm started jumping again for a few minutes.

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
sounds like the alternator could be weak? ground straps could be damaged and in need of replacing? battery cables could be in ined of replacing.
the car should run off the alternator, so if you disconnect the battery and the car shit down or gets weak when idling, that could mean the alternator of cabling associated with the charging system. maybe even the IPDM.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
I know you already changed it but in my ‘04 it was doing the exact same thing and the crank case sensor worked. Got it from Napa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealer ship said they had it figured out yesterday. Told me it should be out today. Haven’t heard anything from them. Guess they were wrong and are back to tryagnostics. I would probably crazy laugh if it’s the cheap Walmart battery. Thing has been a pain in the ass.

Heard back from dealer, they said they were able to drive it after fixing the ecm ground, but the cps code is still their. 550 bucks later, at least it is drivable.....

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Dealer ship said they had it figured out yesterday. Told me it should be out today. Haven’t heard anything from them. Guess they were wrong and are back to tryagnostics. I would probably crazy laugh if it’s the cheap Walmart battery. Thing has been a pain in the ass.

Heard back from dealer, they said they were able to drive it after fixing the ecm ground, but the cps code is still their. 550 bucks later, at least it is drivable.....
It's been two days now... how is your vehicle driving? Seems that the dealer gave you back a driveable vehicle, but NOT fix the issue since the codes are still present. I don't think any Nissan dealerships have real factory certified technicians, just hired help.

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
i know for a fact that two dealers here in LA (one in glendale and one in van nuys) all have some techs trained by an infiniti (nissan) master tech. cant speak for each person though.

but even the most trained tech can still get it wrong or can be lazy and half ass a diagnosis. and when that happens, that's where the internet and forums like this come into play.. sometimes we DO know more than the tech because we loves these cars (the ones who stick around these forums are the die hard fans) and many members here are mechanically inclined on their own right...

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
My thought is the automobile industry keeps cramping more and more technology without hardening them for the environment they will be subjected to. The automobile is subjected to the most harshest environmental abuse. The electronic components in automobiles can't handle the constant and extreme temperature changes it's subjected to. At the beginning of the age of automotive technology. It had one main unit (the ECU) controlling and monitoring all sensors. Now it has dozens... too many points of failure. Making it harder to chase down gremlins. I think the only valuable technology in cars today are the "Seat belt/ Airbag", ABS, Electronic Distributors/Injectors and HVAC. Everything else I can do without.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Diymechanic, since the dealership said the ecm grounds were repaired but P0335 is still triggering, makes me wonder if the dealership even inspected the flex plate for any damage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Diymechanic, since the dealership said the ecm grounds were repaired but P0335 is still triggering, makes me wonder if the dealership even inspected the flex plate for any damage.
I checked the radical wheel it looks fine, they said harness or ecm. Gonna try n talk to the tech.

what I wonder is; how did they find the ground on ecm but not know if the harness is is shorted. Which I also checked.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I checked the radical wheel it looks fine, they said harness or ecm. Gonna try n talk to the tech.

what I wonder is; how did they find the ground on ecm but not know if the harness is is shorted. Which I also checked.
Paying good money for incomplete work...

Reactions: Diymechanic

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Paying good money for incomplete work...
Yes and no. I originally just want them to do the diagnostic work and I’d take over. But for a broken ground I decided to let them take care of it.

here is the update. Got it back runs and drives, drove it roughly 200 miles this weekend. Rpms jump around while engine is steady. Down highway steady 75 mph rpms on tachometer and obd reader live data said 1800-2300. Tech said the same in his notes. So I just checked the harness again.. no open to ground or open to power. Then I used my scope and got a nice square wave. Tech said it’s either the harness or ecm. After this test I am confident the ecm is not handling all the data fast enough. Found the ecm on flagstaff for 350.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Let us know how it run after the ECU replacement. You may also have a CAN issue if the telemetry data is not get to the ECU fast enough or intermittently

1 - 16 of 16 Posts