Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Armada and after 14 years, I still love it. It had a nasty exhaust leak which we fixed by pulling it all apart and welding it. But I am looking to buy a newer one and was wondering if anyone knows if/when nissan fixed the manifold issues that basically plagued the older models.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Good question - I don't know the answer but I am curious too.
I looked up the part number of a 2019 Armada manifold and got - 140E2-EZ30a - which is for years 17-19.
I found a real life picture of one of those on ebay for a take off being sold HERE.

It looks like it still has that cut in the mounting area just forward of the last exhaust port - which has been blamed for the manifolds cracking on the older models. You may know if you welded it there.
I don't know if that means it will crack the same or if they made any other structural improvements - but it sure looks the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking for advice on what type of after market headers to buy. I have an 05 Armada SE Off Road with over 200k mi. I've had both exhaust manifolds replaced with OEM parts multiple times. The original lasted the longest then the second and third lasted less than two years each. The dealer didn't charge me at my insistence that it's a Nissan issue on nearly all Armada and Titan models. The fourth time the dealer wouldn't wave the charge so I put a set of Pace Setter "direct fit" headers on and although there are no cracks after two years the cats are throwing a code. Don't have the exact code so unable to know if they're clogged or burned out. Either way they have to be replaced again in order to pass the last EVER emissions test in WA. Ordered Magnaflow "direct fit" through Summit Racing but didn't receive what I ordered. The part number is correct but the physical design is a COMPLETELY different than what they advertise not to mention the quality is nonexistent. The welds are inconsistent and there are splatters all over the mating surfaces. I'll obviously be returning these. Don't want to go super expensive but I also believe you get what you pay for. Just looking for some advice on good after market headers that retain the EPA regulations and connection points for the sensors. Wouldn't mind a little MPG or HP bump as I haul a enclosed snowmobile trailer. Don't want to decrease the back pressure because that severely decreases the milage when towing. I was referred to Kook's by a well known and recommended exhaust shop so I'm waiting on a response from them.

I will keep everyone updated on this ordeal as I know what a pain it's been.

Still over all I love our Armada, very few issues, just wish Nissan would redesign these headers or give us lifetime replacement.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Cajuns seem to be the favorite for titan owners. The vendor who sells them gets rave reviews. Note they require a tune which comes with the package.

I’m trying to find a shop who is competent at doing headers but it’s difficult in NY. Install is a PITA according to most.

I really wish they had an updated repaired model that was plug and play as I’m concerned about extra noise and exhaust shop competency.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
I'm going through this process right now, so I will give you my 2 cents worth. Went for my required annual state inspection and it failed due to cracked (both) exhaust manifolds. Asked the dealer for a quote to do the repairs. Total was $2,800 and change. $1,000 per manifold, parts cost for gaskets and $800 labor.

Did my research here and ended up going with Cajun Stage 1, as referenced above by both gt601 and spta97.
Total for this setup and install for me, due to using a local mechanic ($50/hr) instead of a Nissan dealer ($100/hr), is about $2,100 and change. I personally would not buy something used, nor would I put on manifolds from the dealer when I know I can get better quality at a lower price.

Cajun has sold thousands of these to Armada/Titan owners and I haven't come across any complaints yet. Jeff at Cajun says these manifolds won't crack - "trust me". Note that you do need to get the UpRev tune that comes as part of the Stage 1 package, otherwise you are going to be running lean which is going to eventually burn out the cats.

I have no issue with having a tune on my Armada. I currently run a SuperChips tune, Injen CAI and Borla dual exhaust. I'll have to replace the SuperChips tune with the UpRev, but I am kind of looking forward to it as I know the UpRev tune is custom tuned. If you have never driven an Armada that is tuned, you don't know what you are missing. I could never go back to driving a stock Armada. These 5.6 engines have great potential for performance increases. Of course the trifecta is: tune, air intake and exhaust. Each aftermarket upgrade gives you incrementally better performance. All 3 combined and you got yourself a rocket.

Of course it depends on the quality of those aftermarket upgrades as to what you will get out of them. Fortunately for me at the time of doing them, I had disposable income and went with what I researched to be the best. Jeff at Cajun asked me what exhaust system I had and he told me that Borla was a good choice. These Cajun manifolds/cats are going to change the sound a bit. Probably make it a little more throatier. I don't like overly loud exhaust and don't want that cruising drone sound that many experience with other exhausts.

My Armada goes to the mechanic tomorrow for this surgery. Hoping it comes out like a champ!
I'll update after I get a chance to put the UpRev tune on and get some drive time in.

Here's links to my mods:
Injen CAI
Cajun Stage 1 with heavy metal cats
Borla catback dual stainless steel exhaust

And since I have to replace my Superchips tune with UpRev, my SuperChips tuner is for sale here:
SuperChips Tuner

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Can you describe more about the tune? Is this something you can do yourself? Do you need a laptop or ODBII device?

I want to do this but it’s hard to find a mechanic. Around here who is good let alone will do it. I called two places and they won’t touch it. Around here it’s just usually catback

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
For the Uprev tune, you'll need a windows based laptop/tablet and of the course, the Uprev cable that plugs into the OBDII port. Seymore4 will ask for specific parameters that need to be data logged; from there, he works his magic, dials everything in and your truck drives completely different.

On my previous 04, I did the JBA LT headers install myself and it really wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be. I followed a great write up by one of our fellow CA members which was a huge plus.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Thanks. So that means you are on the phone with him while you do it?

I’ve watches a few vids and it doesn’t seem that bad but these trucks were not in the rust belt so nuts came off much easier.

Time is also a factor for me - I really don’t have much which is why I’m looking for a shop. I’ve heard of several people who had botched installs from “pros” and I need to find someone who is good which is hard nowadays. It’s all about maximizing profit and less about doing quality work.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
No phone - all email. Uprev is confusing in that it is a physical product (the cable that connects to the OBD2 port and your computer USB port), the software (that you run on your computer to log certain parameters of your truck while you drive it and to upload the new tune), and a service that an Uprev tuner provides.

You buy it all at once - one price / purchase. After you install the headers you connect the cable from OBD to laptop and upload the generic base tune to get you moving using their software. Then log the data (through the cable, on the laptop, using the software) while you drive around (WOT, highway, etc), email that log to the tuner guy, he emails you back a new tune file that you use the software to upload into your Armada, then drive around and log again, send the log file to the tuner guy again - over and over until he gets it right. That's it.

I did the headers myself on an 06 LE 4x4 and it took me 9 hours - from when I walked outside till I had the base tune on - including lunch. Probably 6-7 if I did it again. Pain in the ass job due to the tight fit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm going through this process right now, so I will give you my 2 cents worth. Went for my required annual state inspection and it failed due to cracked (both) exhaust manifolds. Asked the dealer for a quote to do the repairs. Total was $2,800 and change. $1,000 per manifold, parts cost for gaskets and $800 labor.

Did my research here and ended up going with Cajun Stage 1, as referenced above by both gt601 and spta97.
Total for this setup and install for me, due to using a local mechanic ($50/hr) instead of a Nissan dealer ($100/hr), is about $2,100 and change. I personally would not buy something used, nor would I put on manifolds from the dealer when I know I can get better quality at a lower price.

Cajun has sold thousands of these to Armada/Titan owners and I haven't come across any complaints yet. Jeff at Cajun says these manifolds won't crack - "trust me". Note that you do need to get the UpRev tune that comes as part of the Stage 1 package, otherwise you are going to be running lean which is going to eventually burn out the cats.

I have no issue with having a tune on my Armada. I currently run a SuperChips tune, Injen CAI and Borla dual exhaust. I'll have to replace the SuperChips tune with the UpRev, but I am kind of looking forward to it as I know the UpRev tune is custom tuned. If you have never driven an Armada that is tuned, you don't know what you are missing. I could never go back to driving a stock Armada. These 5.6 engines have great potential for performance increases. Of course the trifecta is: tune, air intake and exhaust. Each aftermarket upgrade gives you incrementally better performance. All 3 combined and you got yourself a rocket.

Of course it depends on the quality of those aftermarket upgrades as to what you will get out of them. Fortunately for me at the time of doing them, I had disposable income and went with what I researched to be the best. Jeff at Cajun asked me what exhaust system I had and he told me that Borla was a good choice. These Cajun manifolds/cats are going to change the sound a bit. Probably make it a little more throatier. I don't like overly loud exhaust and don't want that cruising drone sound that many experience with other exhausts.

My Armada goes to the mechanic tomorrow for this surgery. Hoping it comes out like a champ!
I'll update after I get a chance to put the UpRev tune on and get some drive time in.

Here's links to my mods:
Injen CAI
Cajun Stage 1 with heavy metal cats
Borla catback dual stainless steel exhaust

And since I have to replace my Superchips tune with UpRev, my SuperChips tuner is for sale here:
SuperChips Tuner
I ordered the EXACT part number as in the one in the video that SSWISS posted on a different thread, MagnaFlow 49356 and 49357. They are a "direct fit" but designed like short headers with cats all in one nice looking assembly. Perfect right? Nope, I made arrangements and an appointment to have the dealership mech install them. I received the parts but even though they are part marked with the correct part numbers they are not what was advertised nor do they look anything like the ones I ordered on the Summit Racing site. The ones I received are very poor design, poor welds and poor quality with weld splatter all over the mating surfaces. I believe what I received was the CAF looking MagnaFlow 4451500 and 4451501 part numbers that "possibly" got miss part marked. Very dissatisfied!

I would ask you SSWISS, where did you purchase your MagnaFlow manifolds? Very informative video btw! Thanks for taking the time to video and edit it so well.

I would do the JBA long headers with Cajun B pipes (Stage 1) but I'm told no shop will install them because the cats are not in the same location as OEM which violates some regulation even though they perform better than OEM. GREAT! So now I'm stuck back in the same boat trying to find after market "direct fit" manifolds that actually work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts