Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an 04 Titan that I decided to get a "custom" exhaust done. The shop I took it to did a great job,no compliants. This is the deal. I had them run 2.5 inch pipe from the cats back to a dual in dual out 2.5" Magnaflow(the largest muffler they make) and I tried to live with the drone at around 1200-1400rpm ,med/heavy load and it just about drove me nuts. So. Had them remove that setup and installed from the 2.5'' y pipe to a 3" in,3"out Magnaflow(largest muffler) single exhaust setup. That was even worse. I ended up by buying the stock exhaust and had them install it. Drone much better. I liked the way they sounded on idle and acceleration but after a crappy day at work I couldn't tolerate the drone. Before i go and plunk money down on a Borla or Gibson can someone give me a realistic idea of what the tone is on these two brands. I'm not looking for boy racer in your face exhaust(have my Triumph R3) for that. I'd like a nice little burbble at idle and a little growl under acceleration,quiet at cruising and NO DRONE....Any thoughts are appreciated....

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Both of these systems have low drone. I have been happy with the Gibson single. Good performance at a reasonable price. Not much louder than stock at idle and crusing speeds, but lets you know its there when accelerating hard.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Look into a Zoomers System.. (do a search). www.zoomersexhaust.com

They offer the ONLY system that cancles out ALL drone. FYI, they DO make a setup for the Armada (different then their Titan system) but requires the muffler and tip to be welded on.. get in touch, good people over there!

Many many many happy owners with ALL different makes, report back on the Zoomers System.. Its not cheap, but like they state, "it will be the last exhaust you will ever buy!"

Im sure with all your experimenting, you have a good amount of cash down the drain?

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Basically a resonance from the exhaust at a certain rpm inside the cab. It's dependent on the load your pulling if towing or how hard your on the gas. I had a Mustang with a 5.0 L at one time with a Flowmaster exhaust and at 3000 rpm there would be a resonance that would literally give me a headache. Sounded great any other time. Same with the Titan, Sounded good at idle,highway speed,acceleration but in that 1200/1400 rpm range,38-45mph on partial throttle the resonance was terrible.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Torch said:
Basically a resonance from the exhaust at a certain rpm inside the cab. It's dependent on the load your pulling if towing or how hard your on the gas. I had a Mustang with a 5.0 L at one time with a Flowmaster exhaust and at 3000 rpm there would be a resonance that would literally give me a headache. Sounded great any other time. Same with the Titan, Sounded good at idle,highway speed,acceleration but in that 1200/1400 rpm range,38-45mph on partial throttle the resonance was terrible.
thanks, i don't think i have ever had a vehichle with that bad of a problem, now i know what it is, i hope i don't have that issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.