Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
tm27tt said:
What do you guys have and how much is it? Can I get it after I purchase the vehicle?
I don't have it. Mostly just covers drivetrain which is pretty bulletproof. I think you have a window. Ask your dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I have the 7yr/84k? preferred gold. I paid $1400 I think for it. The drive train isn't why I got it, I got it for the electronics. I pay a $50 deductible and free rental car for out of warranty work. It makes for a easier resell and is cheaper if you buy up front. I'd also be sure to buy from Nissan. I got screwed once buying a aftermarket warranty.

I read somewhere that Lee Iacocca started the whole drivetrain warranty as only 3% of vehicles have drivetrain problems within the first 3 years so it was a cheap way to bring in buyers.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Read that fine print

I too bought the "Nissan Preferred Gold Extended Service Contract" for 100k miles OR 7 years. I paid $2400 for the policy on my brand new 06 Armada. As stated above, I think you can get the same pricing within a few thousand miles of your initial purchase, but the prices get a little higher the longer you wait.

I just got my policy book in the mail today and just want everyone to be aware of the fine print about what ISN'T covered. Alot of the electronic components aren't covered (radio, DVD, etc...) The Nav system isn't specifically listed, but they get a little vague with the wording, so just be aware and ask questions before you buy.

An excerpt from the book showing items that ARE NOT covered...

8.2 Paint, exhaust system, carpet, glass, upholstery, soft trim, weatherstripping, convertible soft top, moldings, bright metal, clutch disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing (manual transmission), any and all in-vehicle communications systems and/or mobile entertainment systems, air bag sensors, conversion of the air conditioning system to operate on R134, audio system components, battery, lenses and bulbs, tires, brake drums, disc brake rotors,
wheels, MacPherson strut inserts, shock absorbers, squeaks, rattles, water leaks and wind noise.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
drcookie said:
Does anyone know if there are any dealers sell the extended warranty online?
My dealer wanted too much for the extended warraty, so we skipped it.

Thanks in advance.
drcookie,

If you go with the Nissan sponsored plans, the prices are going to be the same no matter who you buy from. There are no discount resellers, only Nissan Dealerships.

If you try to use an aftermarket (3rd party) plan, just be aware that "you get what you pay for". I looked into alot of other plans before I bought mine, and found more horror stories, than successes. The 3rd party plans all have ALOT of caveats that can make the plan almost useless.

At first, I had actually decided not to buy any plan at all, but my wife begged and pleaded (we've had major car issues recently and she didn't want the hassle again anytime soon) and also the dealer gave me an extra .50% discount on my auto-loan rate if I bought the warranty plan. I worked out the math on a $30k loan over 5 years, and the .50% saved me around $1400, so I basically paid $1000 for the extended plan over the life of the loan.

If you're going to buy a plan, go with the dealer plan. They can't discount the price directly, but ask them for some other incentives and they should be able to make it worth while.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Self-funded Extended Service Plan

During my research, I found a GREAT tip from another online forum, and I was going to do this myself, but my wife, and the discounted loan rate changed my mind. Without the discount, I probably would have done this anyway...

1) Figure out the amount of monthly payments that would have resulted from purchasing an Extended Service Plan (About $40 for me)

2) Put that amount of money each month into an investment fund (mutual fund, savings account, money market, etc...)

3) By the time your factory warranty expires (roughly 3 years) you should have at least $1400 in the bank, or more if your investment account does well.

If you have any repair expenses after the factory warranty, use this money for them. If not, keep putting that monthly amount in the account.

At the end of your loan life, you could have as much as $2800 in the account, if you haven't done any major repairs. You can keep this account for as long as you own the vehicle, and it would probably cover MOST repairs that you would need to that point.

Remember, after 7 years or 100k miles, your extended warranty expires anyhow, so you'll likely be in the same position either way at that point.

The best part of this plan, is if you don't actually have any major repairs, you will have a decent down payment on your next car sitting in the bank.

Sometimes I wish I hadn't bought the plan... this still sounds good to me.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Extended Warranty

Just called a Nissan Dealership, got a quote of $1450.00 for the Gold Preferred plan for 7years & 70,000 miles with a $50.00 ded. , also interest free financing for up to 17 mos. This is a Nissan factory warranty. Heard too many bad things about the aftermarket warranties.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
jcvader99 said:
During my research, I found a GREAT tip from another online forum, and I was going to do this myself, but my wife, and the discounted loan rate changed my mind. Without the discount, I probably would have done this anyway...

1) Figure out the amount of monthly payments that would have resulted from purchasing an Extended Service Plan (About $40 for me)

2) Put that amount of money each month into an investment fund (mutual fund, savings account, money market, etc...)

3) By the time your factory warranty expires (roughly 3 years) you should have at least $1400 in the bank, or more if your investment account does well.

If you have any repair expenses after the factory warranty, use this money for them. If not, keep putting that monthly amount in the account.

At the end of your loan life, you could have as much as $2800 in the account, if you haven't done any major repairs. You can keep this account for as long as you own the vehicle, and it would probably cover MOST repairs that you would need to that point.

Remember, after 7 years or 100k miles, your extended warranty expires anyhow, so you'll likely be in the same position either way at that point.

The best part of this plan, is if you don't actually have any major repairs, you will have a decent down payment on your next car sitting in the bank.

Sometimes I wish I hadn't bought the plan... this still sounds good to me.

I got basically the same deal with the interest rate but I put a good chunk down so I only save a couple $100 on the interest. The selling point for me was all the electronics that are covered and cost of replacing just one major component is expensive. Plus I was a 1st year test subject. For the $1400 or so I paid I figured I would get back most of it when I trade since I'll be trading with probably 4 years and 50k miles remaining.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Putting the money into an investment fund is not really an option. Suppose your auto leveling suspension goes out, you can easily spend 2k, on this alone. In fact, you would be amazed at how much an actuator costs for those of us that have automatic tailgates. One simple electric motor goes out, and you can easily plan on spending $900.00. These parts do indeed fail, electrical connections corrode and 7 years is a long time to expect a truck with as many electrical gagets as ours not to have a few failures here and there.

Nissan offers an 84 month 100,000 mile warranty for the same cost it would be to fix your drive by wire system, when it decides it's had enough.

Just food for thought. On a simple car, without all the electronics I agree an investment fund makes sense. On this car, I think the "Nissan factory extended warranty" is the only way to go.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
tm27tt said:
What do you guys have and how much is it? Can I get it after I purchase the vehicle?
I don't know if you can get the ext. warranty after you purchase it without it. I bought mine up front for about $1500. It varies in price up to about $2000 based off the options you get.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
You can get the Nissan Factory Extended Service Contract from any Nissan dealer, even after your initial purchase. The price goes up as the mileage gets higher, but I think you will get the same basic price through the first 10-12k miles.

The top of the line plan, "Nissan Preferred Gold" is an all inclusive plan, that lasts for 7 years or 100,000 miles and has no deductible. It costs $2400. You can get a plan with a $50 deductible for less (around $1500), and you can get better pricing on less years/miles.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
warranty

I Bought Warranty For $1640 Nissan Gold Prefferd With $50 Ded 7yr/100k. This Was O% Interest For 17 Month After 10% Down And A $170 Administration Fee. I Had 25k Miles On My 04 Armada Se Off Road When I Bought The Warranty 2 Months Ago. Called Different Dealers (36) All Over The Country And This Was The Cheapest And Very Nice.dealer Info Marlboro Nissan, 740 Boston Post Road, Malboro, Ma, 01752 Tel# 1-800-689-6560 Ask For Jim Wood Let Him Know That You Got Refferd By A Friend.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.