Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SHIFT_Moderator
13,200 Posts
Shaunbalgobin said:
Did any body else bought the extended warranty is it worth it and what would the pros and cons be
Yes I did and it is worth peace of mind. I keep my vehicle long term.

1978 Datsun 510 - 149,000 miles
1978 Volvo 164E - 249,000 miles
1990 Mitsubishi Montero LS - 230,00
2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - 120,000

If I had gotten the extended warranty on the Montero Sport, I would paobably still have it today! It was nickle and diming me to death after I went past the manufacturers warranty. Things worked out for the best though, because now I have the Armada with the Extended Warranty!

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
i got the extended warranty too. the one i got is if i dont use it at the end of the extended warranty i get all my money back.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I also got the extended warranty from the dealer, it has come in handy on a couple of issues.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
peace of mind

you can bargain it down... or look into getting it from another dealer

Got mine for 1K it's 60/60 extended... it gets a lot more expensive beyond that term.. since the powertrain is under warranty anyway until 60/60k

but the suspension and rear sensors, air bags, lights, bcm, if any where to go wrong it's a bundle...

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
My "extra warranty" was very clearly pointed out to me as not a warranty, but but some gold plus (I can't remember the exact term) package. For the "low" cost of $90 a month I could have the honor of padding my local dealership's pockets.

Stay away from Fairfield Nissan in Fairfield California. They attempted to sell me the warranty for almost $6,000, I believe it was 6 years, and I had a $50 deductible. They showed me a pamphlet of items that were covered. Meaning, if something broke that wasn't on that list..........I'd be assed out anyway for the cost.......extra money payed be damned.

Here's the thing. Why pay up front for an extra warranty during a time the vehicle is already covered?

The #1 reason is: Piece of mind. But it's a question eveyone should ask before just automatically signing up for what the stealership....er dealership recommends.

I don't know exactly how Nissan does it....and obviously you all can tell I am not too happy with their system. But Acura allows you to buy an extended warranty right before the factory 5 yr/60K mi warranty expires. Usually all you have to do is show that you have maintained it (oil changes etc).

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
monthly

I hope you didn't get it... if anybody else did you could always cancel it...

you can get a warranty anytime within the first 12 months... I think while under warranty you can get it but it costs more... i may be wrong...

that's the problem with monthly payments... the gal who sold me my warranty was tacking it on as a montly payment but I insisted she give me actual cost... we started at 1800 and went down to 1K.. imagine that...

My gold preferred covers everything except maintenance items... my rear backup sensors, my auto leveling rear suspension (part of big tow), etc... also get free roadside assistance and loaner cars as part of the warranty.

I'd never buy it for 1.8K... 1K is worth it to me...

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
yeah i got that gold plus warranty.. no cost to me! they threw it in. and i also got the longer factory coverage on the powertrain and bumper to bumper... 6/60K i believe...

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
It is MY money

Personally I just as soon roll the dice and keep MY money in MY possession earning profits and interest for ME during all that time (buying real estate). That $1k can easily turn into $3-5k in 7 years. And if I don't have any big problems, that money makes even more money. I tend to get brave having a OEM service manual CD and a really good buddy that was a top dealer electronic-trouble-shooting mechanic for +20 years, living 7 miles away and now working as a development engineer at Snap-On diagnostic tool division AND he owes ME favors.
Plus, the dealer just plain pissed me off with their pushy extended warranty sales tactics and basically told them exactly that and I was walking because of it, they knocked an additional $1k off to keep me from leaving, hail to the power of buying with cash, I got a $43k list truck for $34k on the floor = <$38K OTD.
BTW- they wanted $1.8k and would rebate it in 7years if I did not use it, ONLY if I purchased it right then and there on that day.
Now maybe if it was a big three product I might feel a little different.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Cillyone said:
Personally I just as soon roll the dice and keep MY money in MY possession earning profits and interest for ME during all that time (buying real estate). That $1k can easily turn into $3-5k in 7 years. And if I don't have any big problems, that money makes even more money. I tend to get brave having a OEM service manual CD and a really good buddy that was a top dealer electronic-trouble-shooting mechanic for +20 years, living 7 miles away and now working as a development engineer at Snap-On diagnostic tool division AND he owes ME favors.
Plus, the dealer just plain pissed me off with their pushy extended warranty sales tactics and basically told them exactly that and I was walking because of it, they knocked an additional $1k off to keep me from leaving, hail to the power of buying with cash, I got a $43k list truck for $34k on the floor = <$38K OTD.
BTW- they wanted $1.8k and would rebate it in 7years if I did not use it, ONLY if I purchased it right then and there on that day.
Now maybe if it was a big three product I might feel a little different.
:smart:

<using my best Kip Dynamite's voice>........That's what I'm talking about! lol

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
marctronixx: I meant getting the warranty for 6K or 90 a month...

Cillyone: you're not the average joe... not all of us has the time or the friends to take care of the car when it malfunctions... I wish I did, I'd keep that 1K...

and you must be a real good player/investor to more than double 1K in 5 years... that's 20%APY which on the other hand, you don't factor in the time you spent making that money double... (also known as work)... and sorry... Real Estate is no longer the sure thing it was... I know you can still make money but it takes more effort --- work...

basically everybody's different... me I work 2 days and I already doubled it... if my truck broke I'd have to work on it a whole week to get it back to shape... not cost effective... so for me the warranty is a good investment in peace of mind... but it's not for everyone...

Bottom line, if you can get it cheap, it's not a bad idea...

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
docpaulo said:
and sorry... Real Estate is no longer the sure thing it was...
Can you name anything better? The last I knew they stopped making dirt a long time ago and they are not planning to make anymore in the future either. It might be stagnant for a while but it will come around again, it always does, it runs in cycles. I think next year will be a good time to buy.

Do your homework (to predict trends) and keep your eyes open (for good values) and you can't go wrong. I bought 29 acres 2-1/2 years ago for 104k using the the Nissan "extended warranty" money. A 33.75 acre parcel <1/2 mile away just went on the market for 475k. So as long as I keep the repairs below 4k I am ahead of the game, and that is not even factoring in the tax benefits, or having the property to do stuff on. I am going to try to buy the "sister" 21 acre parcel next spring. Automobiles are generally an extremely poor investment, but necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
docpaulo said:
marctronixx: I meant getting the warranty for 6K or 90 a month...
My bad bro..........I wasn't very clear when I talked about the finance manager offering the extended warranty. I litterally laughed in his face, and so did my wife. Needless to say, we did not fall for his retarded tactics. The same guy also told me that the Armada only has a 2 year limited warranty. I informed him that it in fact has a 3 yr/36K miles warranty, and he said, "No it doesn't". The guy was a real asshat. We did NOT purchase "his" extra warranty.

The only reason I kept dealing was: 1) The price was $8,000 less than MSRP, 2) I had already spent a lot of time on the deal, and 3) we both loved the damn thing so much!

I wish to God I knew why he assumed I was stupid enough to pay $90/month for warranty. Because of this crappy experience, the GM gave me LE tow mirrors, touch-up paint, and all-weather floormats.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
most likely you were getting such a good deal that there was nothing left for the salesman...

as long as you paid below invoice, it's all cool...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can someone recommend a company/dealership that will sell me an extended warranty for a 2018 Armada at cost?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts