Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Frustrated here. Have the identical problem, rough start, then slowly shuts down. Usually after a short trip like what I have read on this thread. First issue 5 months back threw DTC P0710 STORED ( FLUID TEMP SENSOR) and they replaced a fluid transmission sensor, seem odd but...BTW, 2018 Platinum Reserve, 25,000 miles, first and only owner. Has anyone had any luck with replacing the gas cap? They say a leak in it may cause the rough misfire shaking. I go back to the dealer in 3 days but without a code (none this time), surely they will be at a loss but I do have an audio of the failed start.

Appreciate any thoughts or ideas..
Half-start issue seems to be directly related to lower battery voltage, short trips, and restarting within a short time of shutting off.

It happened to me for my 2nd time in 2 years this past weekend. I shut the vehicle down after about 3 hours of driving. And then attempted to restart within about 30 seconds, unplanned but I had to move the vehicle.

I also tend to think it's when the brake and start button sequence is rushed or button not fully depressed for a solid 2 seconds. I likely jumped right back in and rushed the sequence, maybe even pushed both brake and button simultaneously.

Either way, our charging systems don't help and are bad for battery health. Look into bypassing the voltage sensor on the negative terminal. All you have to do is unplug the harness that connects to the terminal. Worked for when I did it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Charge the battery up to a healthy voltage with a good charger.

Disconnect the sensor on the negative terminal.

Don't rush the brake and push-button sequence.

I haven't had this issue come back in over 18 months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I had this issue with my 2018 Armada. My symptoms were, it would try to start, but basically sputter out and eventually stall. While doing this it would shake and run really rough, similar to what others have described. Dealer tried lots of stuff but ultimately nothing was showing up in terms of error codes, so pretty much guessing. Recently though it progressed to be much worse, more frequently and in the end it wouldn't start at all. They replaced what they referred to as a fuel relay (forget the actual technical name but it's in that circuit electronic box that sits up top in engine compartment, passenger side). Maybe these symptoms can be caused by more than one thing but this fixed our issue and has not happened since (knock on wood). Literally we had the issue for about a year, and in the early stages would happen once every six weeks or so, only on short drives and never on a cold start. Hope this helps someone!

·
Registered
2 Posts
same here. I took my 2018 Armanda in and they figured out the problem. evidently Nissan it some level is aware of this and has put out some guidance, they did 3 things:

• adjusted the software that overrides the battery charging sensor so it ALWAYS charges, mine voltage gauge showed it was never consistency charging the battery, fluxuating between about 15 volts and 11 volts, all the time! Thus battery drain.
  • adjusted something with the break sensor that may give a false read that the break was pushed or not pushed that is required to start the car
  • adjusted the computer settings that force stopped any ghost electrical drain on the better once the engine has been turned off for 15 minutes.

had this done a month ago and the car starts and runs perfectly

·
Registered
1 Posts
At the risk of being a me-too I want to say thanks for all the tips in this thread.

My 2018 Platinum started doing the same thing this year after we moved further south into a city instead of living in colder weather in the country. That means higher temperatures, and a lot of really short trips (major stores are ~ 1 mile from the house.) It has never done it when the engine is cold. Freaks out my wife when it happens - it's her car - because it won't turn back off, just perpetually sputters and rattles and acts like it's trying to throw a rod at you. You have to sit and wait for it to finally die, it's like the computer thinks it's off, and the start button won't do anything to stop it. I checked for codes multiple times and there are none. The computer thinks everything is just fine.

Initially we had all plugs and wires replaced thinking it might be related, and there's 120k miles on it so was probably past time anyway.

Given the age, I'm going to have the battery tested as well, but I'm going to disconnect that sensor and hopefully that improves things. So far it's done it about 5 times since spring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 Platinum with 53000ish miles has been doing the same shudder/die sequence sporadically for over a year. Taken to the dealer twice. No codes and can’t replicate, so cannot resolve. We moved from a warmer climate to colder. It’s happened after running for a long period of time and a brief shut down to run into a store, but also after sitting for several days without being started. I was able to video all but the first few seconds a couple of times, but that has not helped. Just adding my voice to the masses in hopes Nissan decides to make it a priority to resolve.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
This same issue happens on my 2018 Armada SL. I know very little about cars, but which part is causing the shaking? Could this lead to long-term damage?

Has anyone else had any success with a software update or unplugging the battery sensor?

Are there any long-term consequences to keeping the battery sensor unplugged?

·
Registered
2 Posts
This same issue happens on my 2018 Armada SL. I know very little about cars, but which part is causing the shaking? Could this lead to long-term damage?

Has anyone else had any success with a software update or unplugging the battery sensor?

Are there any long-term consequences to keeping the battery sensor unplugged?
I don't have answers to your questions really but thought I would reply anyway. I would think the shaking is not good for the vehicle. We tried the battery sensor disconnect and at one point thought it fixed it but then it happened again eventually so ruled that out. It's very clunky and quite a violent sputter if it's anything like I had experienced. I called my dealership just now to get more details on what fixed mine (2018 Armada SL). It was the "fuel pump relay" part number #252307996A. It was $31 bucks Canadian and 2 seconds to pop in. My light symptoms that I described in my earlier post went on for months, like close to a year probably. I suspect with this part, this time period could be quite variable and maybe drag on forever, luckily in my scenario it got really bad at one point where it would not start at all in my driveway. With this part, they took mine out and put it in another used Armada they had on the lot and that Armada would no longer start and vice versa, putting the other Armada's part in mine, then it started no problem. Worth a shot to just get the part and pop it in and see if it goes away I would say.

·
Registered
1 Posts
False starting I have experienced this exact problem on more than 10 occasions since I bought my 2017, very random occurrence, no way to recreate on your own. I mentioned this to the dealership, on two separate occasions and were told that they couldn't get it to do it for them. Nothing they can do. No codes are stored when this happens. I am thinking that if a guy is on the ball, and can record a video of it doing this, it would help, but no way of forseeing the issue occurring. They talked to me like I was crazy when I tried to describe what occurs. I had a hard time believing mine was the only one doing this, I guess it isn't the only one. Kept checking in on this web page to see but it hasn't been mentioned until now. Very worried about damage while it does this, doesn't sound good at all, lots of black smoke as well.
Just happened to me the past 6 months I thought it was my wife not stepping on brake but it happened to me … it seems like it’s only running on like 3 cylinders then stalls out I wait a few seconds then it starts up no problem I thought I should get expensive gas or something I have a 2017 Armada too

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Just happened to me the past 6 months I thought it was my wife not stepping on brake but it happened to me … it seems like it’s only running on like 3 cylinders then stalls out I wait a few seconds then it starts up no problem I thought I should get expensive gas or something I have a 2017 Armada too
I’ve had the same issue and from what I can tell from scanning this site, “possible” implications are “fuel pump relay" part number #252307996A, bad brake “stop lamp switch” / brake switch (I did have that code (BCI) show up on mine), and even the battery voltage not being within necessary range because short drives less than 15 min do not charge the battery (an ECM programming issue). For me, I think I will ensure not too many battery drains are on prior to starting (AC, Heat, radio, etc), I may replace the brake switch since it’s inexpensive, ensure I deliberately push the pedal all the way down before pressing the start switch, and not letting off the start switch too soon. I don’t think I have any fuel pump relay issues, but not sure.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts