Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on the size of the oil filter on the Endurance V-8? Compared to any other filter I've changed, from domestic V-8s to import four bangers, this is the smallest by far.

Was this just an attempt by Nissan to save some bucks and have commonality across its engine line - or is this the right filter for taking care of 5.6L motor and 7 quarts of oil?

Alternatives are out there - adapter fitting for a larger filter in the OEM location, or an AMSOIL type remote two filter setup.

Matt

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Hi Matt, the very small nissan oil filter does an excellent job as shown in the 4 oil samples I've had done on my Titan. I wouldn't use or recommend any other brand for this reason alone. This is certainly an example of "good things coming in small packages"... :D

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Yeh that little filter does the job no questions asked. If you want a good price on them order them from www.nissanparts247.com one of our sponsors. They have them for $5.07 a piece. I buy them like 3 or 4 at a time.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Armadaof1 said:
Any thoughts on the size of the oil filter on the Endurance V-8? Compared to any other filter I've changed, from domestic V-8s to import four bangers, this is the smallest by far.

Was this just an attempt by Nissan to save some bucks and have commonality across its engine line - or is this the right filter for taking care of 5.6L motor and 7 quarts of oil?

Alternatives are out there - adapter fitting for a larger filter in the OEM location, or an AMSOIL type remote two filter setup.

Matt
1. All Nissan's use the same size of filter. Filter size must not be an issue these days.

2. You must never have changed the filter on a modern GM V8. The 5.7 liter LS1/LS6 also has tiny looking oil filter.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Right about the filter size not being that important. Our engine is based on the 4.5L V8 used in the Infinit Q45 for over ten years, and as it is tuned with variable valve timing it produces a lot more horsepower. I'm not aware of any oil filtration issues with that engine. It, like all other Nissan engines, also including the high performance 350Z all use the same filter size. No problem. I do not worry. Filter quality is more important than size.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Factory Filters for $4.89

This Place is in Phoenix, AZ and offers wholesale pricing through the Internet. I have personal driven to there several times to save the shipping charges and they have always had great customer service as well as the lowest prices on factory parts.

Factory Oil filters for the Armada

2001 Nitro 205 Fish&Ski
2001 XR400

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
3 Months!!

Wow! It has been almost 3 months since the last post in the engine/driveline section! I am a nuts and bolts guy and I was bummed out all this time with no new threads. I think there is something important to be learned from the inactivity here. No news is good news. I think it is possible to speculate that Nissan has got a really good engine/driveline here. If all we have to talk about is a puny oil filter, we are in really good shape.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
redzed said:
1. All Nissan's use the same size of filter. Filter size must not be an issue these days.

2. You must never have changed the filter on a modern GM V8. The 5.7 liter LS1/LS6 also has tiny looking oil filter.

Sorry to Burst your Bubble there, But all filters are not the same..
The original Nissan filter (modern times 90 and up) uses a 55Y00 which is a LARGE oil filter, with a large thread bore. The next Filter which is the one you will see on your Titans and Armadas are the 9E000 which is a medium filter that does a great job.

And last but not least the have the 3.5 filter 65F00 which is smaller version of the 9E000 with the same thread bore.

So remember, when ordering a filter for your Titan or Armada, please make sure you get a 15208-9E000 as this is the correct filter for your truck, IF you see a 15208-65F00 on your vehicle, please replace it with a 9E000, as they are the same thread, but different sizes.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
?

So, what you are saying is just go with OEM filters. I replaced mine with a Pureone filter by Purolator. What do you think? I heard that it's better to go with an aftermarket filter, because companies base their sales on the quality of the product wich means that the quality will be better than oem filters. :confused:

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you google the internet you'll find a number of websites dedicated to explaining the mysteries of filters.

Essentially, the OEM filters are a safe bet with quality construction. Aftermarket quality varies tremendously. The best options are Wix/NAPA products. Stay away from FRAM.

The major difference between good quality Wix/NAPA/OEM filters and a much more expensive Mobil1 filter is that the filter media changes to a synthetic with a much higher level of filtration. Most seem to agree that this is a level of filtration not required on a street driven vehicle.

Personally, since NAPA is an hour closer than the Nissan dealership, I use NAPA gold or silver filters on the truck.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
I am confused by what you are saying.... all i was saying is that not all Nissans use the same filter...
I don't reccomend a brand either way, I just wont use FRAM, they really make a cheap product, and force it on consumers as a superior product, when in fact they use the cheapest materials possible.
It's all about personal preference, I like the factory ones, but thats because I beleive they make a bettre product, but again that is just my Opinion.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Purolator makes a good filter

The research I have read has said Purolator makes some of the best filters $ for $. I only use OEM during the warranty period though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
Cillyone
Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
Club Armada is the premier Nissan Armada forum! Here you can discuss and review your favorite SUV with fellow owners.
Full Forum Listing