Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dealership Service Busted My Tire **UPDATE**

As they pulled my Armada on the rack at the dealership the other day, they popped a tire. Service guy said they already replaced it. I'm telling them to replace all 4 (in my mind I know 2 will suffice). He said he can't do it. Told him to try again or I'll do it. Said he'll get back to me. 22,300 mi on the rig. Just take responsibility for your actions and do the right thing. That's all I ask. What do you think? Should they replace all four?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Would you pay for four brand new tires, if you were to pay for it? Especially, those tires are 60% worn already, at best. I may ask them to swap out your spare tire onto the same axle as the new tire will be going on. (Assume you are only doing four tire rotation.) This way, if you rotate them correctly, you will get a even tire wear side to side. I reallly don't think they owe you four brand new tires.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
devildog said:
As they pulled my Armada on the rack at the dealership the other day, they popped a tire. Service guy said they already replaced it. I'm telling them to replace all 4 (in my mind I know 2 will suffice). He said he can't do it. Told him to try again or I'll do it. Said he'll get back to me. 22,300 mi on the rig. Just take responsibility for your actions and do the right thing. That's all I ask. What do you think? Should they replace all four?
I wonder if having one tire new and the rest significantly worn will screw up the VDC and/or ABS, since one wheel will be rotating at a different rate than the other three.

Keith

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Campfamily said:
I wonder if having one tire new and the rest significantly worn will screw up the VDC and/or ABS, since one wheel will be rotating at a different rate than the other three.

Keith
No. Usually you need a couple percent change to cause problems for the ABS. This would be over an inch differrence indiameter. I think it is greater than the tread depth and they do that on purpose.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
well accidents happen, and the dealer put on the new tire that they popped. i think when buying tires or changing them shud be all at same time so the wear is even... if u can buy the other 3 since u got 1 already. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
No. Usually you need a couple percent change to cause problems for the ABS. This would be over an inch differrence indiameter. I think it is greater than the tread depth and they do that on purpose.
The reason I bring this up is that I had read that some mfrs require that all four tires be changed, not just one or even two. Maybe it was because of the AWD (Audi?), but I thought it was the VDC. Maybe I was dreaming this......

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
At least they replaced it for you, they could have pump it up let you get down the road and say tough luck, you pop it driving down the road.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
IMHO, The dealer did the right thing by replacing the tire they poped.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

The dealership checked with the nissan tech and they advised them to measure the amount of tread that's left on the 3 old tires. Not sure what the tolerance is, but if they're worn enough, they'll replace them. The techs agreed that it would affect handling and produce a shimmy/shaking/ and or abnormal treadwear depending on the amount of tread left. If they don't replace it , I'll throw the spare in the mix, placing it and the new tire in the rear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts