Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2008 Armada and the velcro on the back of the 2nd row seats that holds up the fold down panels will no longer hold up the panels.

How can I replace this or do I need to get new seat covers or ???

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
We have a 2008 Armada and the velcro on the back of the 2nd row seats that holds up the fold down panels will no longer hold up the panels.

How can I replace this or do I need to get new seat covers or ???

I just bought some industrial strength Velcro at Walmart and some industrial strength glue and fixed them that way. That was 6 years ago and they are still holding up.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
There was a thread on here a few years ago. Alot of CA members bought snap on buttons from the craft store and sewed it on with a curve needle. I bought those buttons and curve needle but never got around to doing it. Im thinking of cutting them out since I have no use for them. Hope that helps.

·
Banned
37 Posts
This seems to be a fairly common issue with the backs of the second-row seats. Bumping this thread to see if anyone found a specific fix/product that resolved this issue. Online searches for me so far are limited to generic fixes and not one specific for the Armada.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I think the button idea would work but you shouldn't have to sew them in. I have a button repair kit for my boat seats and they attach like rivots so it would be easy on fabric.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I have this exact problem. I need to fix the Velcro on back of my second row seats. The Velcro came off and I need a solution as well.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I had the same problem. I bought some C shape needles and stiched new velcro to the one that came out. it seems to have worked fine.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
After first trying the stick on Velcro strips, followed by sewed on Velcro which also didn't work great due to the fact that even with leather quality sewing needles it was almost impossible to try to get through the material of the flap; I finally went with snaps. I did one of the three panels as a test and plan to do the others later.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
After first trying the stick on Velcro strips, followed by sewed on Velcro which also didn't work great due to the fact that even with leather quality sewing needles it was almost impossible to try to get through the material of the flap; I finally went with snaps. I did one of the three panels as a test and plan to do the others later.
Bumping this because I have the same issue as the OP and just came across this thread. The botton solution looks perfect! Where can I get these (and what am I asking for so I don’t sound like an idiot) and how do you install them?

I’ve already tried Velcro and that doesn’t work for long.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Bumping this because I have the same issue as the OP and just came across this thread. The botton solution looks perfect! Where can I get these (and what am I asking for so I don’t sound like an idiot) and how do you install them?

I’ve already tried Velcro and that doesn’t work for long.
These are what I used, but you can get these things from lots of sources:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Were those snaps good quality? They have some poor reviews that indicate they might bend or warp easily.

Also, did you get a hole punch (metal?) to punch through the hard material inside the floor cover/flap? It feels pretty sturdy, so I was figuring a pair of snap pliers wouldn’t punch through.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Were those snaps good quality? They have some poor reviews that indicate they might bend or warp easily.
I did punch through a few snaps, but eventually, I got the hang of how much pressure I could use on them before damaging them. The real trick is pinching the two halves as close as you can while also pressing down with the pliers. You have to get an initial lock of the two halves first, then push them closer together as you squeeze even more till the two halves have no wiggle between them anymore.

Also, did you get a hole punch (metal?) to punch through the hard material inside the floor cover/flap? It feels pretty sturdy, so I was figuring a pair of snap pliers wouldn’t punch through.
Pretty sure that hard backing is just plywood and no, the stems on the snaps are not long enough to go through the material. Instead, I put it through the cloth at the very top. The board will sink down into the cloth pocket giving you about 3/4 to an inch of space to locate the snaps in. That's more than enough space.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I did punch through a few snaps, but eventually, I got the hang of how much pressure I could use on them before damaging them. The real trick is pinching the two halves as close as you can while also pressing down with the pliers. You have to get an initial lock of the two halves first, then push them closer together as you squeeze even more till the two halves have no wiggle between them anymore.

Pretty sure that hard backing is just plywood and no, the stems on the snaps are not long enough to go through the material. Instead, I put it through the cloth at the very top. The board will sink down into the cloth pocket giving you about 3/4 to an inch of space to locate the snaps in. That's more than enough space.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gotcha. All good info. Thanks so much! I've ordered some snaps and hand pliers. I had already ordered a metal punch, so may return that.....or I might try using it first to punch pilot holes in the fabric. Do you think that's necessary?

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I used a punch to make the initial hole and then actually used a drill bit to widen the hole a bit to make it easier to slide the snap sheath through. I think I used a 1/8 bit. It still took a little effort to get the sheath through. The material seems designed to contract and refill any holes, but the last thing you want to do is rip it as that will risk a tear at the snap location.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Awesome! I appreciate all of your input. I’ll make the pilot hole and then install the snaps. Probably won’t be able to complete til this weekend, but I’ll update once I do.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Awesome! I appreciate all of your input. I’ll make the pilot hole and then install the snaps. Probably won’t be able to complete til this weekend, but I’ll update once I do.

Thanks again!
How did it go? I thinking about the same thing for mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Went great! Sorry, I obviously forgot to update....LOL. I’ll see if I can get a couple of pics and post. But I definitely say “go for it!”

1 - 20 of 30 Posts