Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 310 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since some of you guys here are new owners I thought I'd save you a trip to the dealer once you start modifing your armada's. I'm not sure what set's it off (other than pulling things apart) but at some point you will likely end up with a flashing airbag sensor light. Here is how to reset it yourself.

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
llajumpvid,
You made my day. Thanks for posting this.
I've been pissed off since this morning when I pulled off the cluster lid to get to the radio. I just pulled it off, then pushed it right back on.
Then the airbag light started to flash when I started the car up.

I followed exactly what you wrote and the light stopped flashing!

I was dreading all day going to the dealer to get it fixed.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
you are the men

thanks for the 411 :urthebest I was getting crazy because the sensor blink. but I have a new monitor and some new bass thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Thanks again llajumpvid,
I pulled my driver seat out today to run some wiring and the airbag light started blinking again. But this time, no worries.
I knew what to do.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Ok, I tried this and it didnt work for me. I'm sure it was something I am doing wrong. Now when you say turn the key on, do I have to turn the ignition all the way on or just enough to turn on all the warning lights. Any small details I have to look out for. Man I better check to make sure it was actually plugged back in after the shop got done putting in my DVD. Where can i find out to see if in fact it was plugged back together?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should just turn it to on, dont start it. If the passenger airbag light is on when no one is sitting in the seat then you should be hooked up, unless they took something from under the seat apart.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
300zx

hey, i just recently bought a 93 300ZX and i know this is a armada forum, but my airbag light was flashing and i brought it to the dealer first, and they quoted me 1200$ for a new airbag controller. needless to say i did not let them repair it, and now that i have the car back, the light is flashing slower in that "diagnostic mode" you were talking about, so i dont know where to start this method you have from. id like to try it, please let me know, thanks

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try doing a search on freshalloy.com that is a good all nissan forum. Someone might be able to help you there. You might try and see if there is a chilton book at the local auto parts store and see if they have a section on the airbags, you might be able to decipher the code that is blinking.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
On a 1993 300zx you need to do the old door trick. It however doesn't work on 1994-96's apparently.

http://www.300zxclub.com/showthread.php?t=53290&highlight=airbag

1) Open the driver's side door.
2) Put the key in the ignition and turn to ON (but don't start the vehicle)
3) Within 7 seconds of turning the key to ON, push the driver's side door switch button at least 5 times.
4) The Air Bag light should go solid...give it at least 7 seconds, and it should begin to blink a 3 second, 2 second on/off pattern.
5) Turn ignition to OFF and remove key.
6) Start vehicle, and wait for the Air Bag light to turn off to verify that it worked.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
LONNIE!
HEy, thanks for the TIP.... :urock:
One question.....If the light is on and no one is sitting in the passenger seat then I'm golden? Is there a sensor or something?
So the light should NOT be on when someone is sitting in the passenger seat....correct?

·
Administrator
5,215 Posts
Three questions!
The answer is yes to all them.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
OH...so you're NOT only a moderator....you're a DAMN COMEDIAN!
:teeth:

Thanks. ;)

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
wow, wish I knew this a week ago..

After I had my bluetooth kit installed, I got the light...

ended up having to leave the truck at the dealer for them to order a new "sensor" 2 day process. lol

hated.

that light was very annoying to say the least. bad enough gotta look at the seatbelt light all day...

gonna try to disconnect that one myself.... should be a plug under the driver seat to control that... then again, don't want to set off another light??
anyone got any ideas, other than wearing the belt???

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like your dealer is looking for ways to charge Nissan for warranty work. I bet they had the passenger airbag light unhooked and that is what set off the dash light.

If you disconnect a sensor I suspect you'll still get a flashing airbag light...you probably better off just to put a piece of tape over the light if it bothers that much.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
llajump,
you are the man. Thank you kindly.

I had my dvd installed today, and this is the second time that that light was blinking and driving me batty, lol.

Last time it was a trip to the dealer, and sensor had to be ordered, blah, blah , blah, a 3 day ordeal.

Just one question: how the hec did ya figure that one out?? Hopefully my airbag is still working lol.

One more question: How do ya turn of the seatbelt guy ?? Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the factory service manual and looked it up in there. For the seat belt guy....buckleup....sorry I know thats not the answer you wanted but there isn't an option to shut it off. Put a piece of electric tape over it from behind the dash maybe. If you diconnect the wire or bulb I suspect you'll activate the warning light.

1 - 20 of 310 Posts
About this Discussion
309 Replies
178 Participants
marctronixx
Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
Club Armada is the premier Nissan Armada forum! Here you can discuss and review your favorite SUV with fellow owners.
Full Forum Listing