Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

281 - 300 of 318 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Air Bag Flashing Light

Well, I contacted www.nissanpartsdeal.com and after replacing the Sit Belt Tensor Sensor as per reading Code, the light was still on so finally they investigated and told me that the sit has a air type bag that send pressure signal when a passenger sit so I was told to replace the whole sit.

If I let the light blinking a bit longer, then, the light come back on after two to five sittings. I will just live it like it is until I get the whole sit.

If you see under the sit, you will see a house connected to a gum like bag, it look like silicon and this is the one that has pressurized air on it.

This worked for a week then came back on. Tried again another week. Then it got to the point that it wouldnt reset.

Long story short I ignored it for 2 years. Wife had an incident with the armada involving a body shop etc. Original shop said it was a bad seat belt retractor, then said it was a wiring harness and then i got the we cant fix it were sending it to nissan. 3 Airbag ECM's later they got one that fixed it lol.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Just a heads up in case anyone runs into this and the reset procedure doesn't fix it (the light returns after a few minutes.)

I've run into this twice now on my 2008 Infiniti QX56. The first time I realized it was because I have a habit of putting my backpack in the passenger seat. My backpack must be just on the cusp of the sensor weight because the "airbag disabled" light on the dash would come off and on while I was driving, which in turn would cause the airbag light to start flashing. So first lesson, don't store anything on your passenger seat while driving.

The second time it came on I read someone mention raising the seat helped, and it did for a few weeks, but came back on. I reset the light using the process in the first post but it kept coming back. I noticed putting weight in the seat without the seat belt would no longer active the "Seatbelt disabled" light on the dash. The dealer stated it was the sensor in the cushion and would be $2500 to replace.

I decided to hold off on the dealer repair and check things out more closely myself. I looked under the passenger seat, on the right side of the seat (closest to passenger door) the top harness (yellow on mine) looked it was being tugged. When I compared it to the other 4 harnesses on that mounting plate I realized the other four had a zip tie anchoring them to the plate, and the top one has a hole in the plate but no zip tie. My guess is something rolled under the seat and got caught and snapped the zip tie. This was causing the harness to "twist outward" from the plate and move a lot when the seat would go up and down. I disconnected the harness and pushed the wires into the connectors on both sides, then re-ziptired the seat end of the harness firmly to the mounting plate. then once again reset the airbag light.

This time, putting weight in the passenger seat (without the seatbelt on) properly activated the seatbelt disabled light on the dash, and removing the weight made the light go off. I've driven for about 50 miles so far and the airbag light is no longer flashing. So if this is happening to you, you might want to check this harness.
-Ed

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I need help, I reset the airbag light but after 15 minutes airbag flashing again its not the passenger (w small #2 ), its the one top of the RPM gauge! I have a Armada 2008 LE
Did anybody have idea of where I should start or Where is the ACU or pressure sensor ,or the Pretensioner?

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I need help, I reset the airbag light but after 15 minutes airbag flashing again its not the passenger (w small #2 ), its the one top of the RPM gauge! I have a Armada 2008 LE
Did anybody have idea of where I should start or Where is the ACU or pressure sensor ,or the Pretensioner?
In my case I found a copy of the service manual online. There was a section that decodes the blinking. It is blinking in a pattern and that will tell you the bad part. Now, in my situation there was no corresponding pattern which leads me to believe it is the clock spring, have not replaced it yet so I do not know for sure but I noticed that one of the volume buttons on the steering wheel and the horn only work when I am turning left. Good luck and please write back with the solution.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
This damn airbag light is driving me crazy! I took it to the dealer a year ago and they said my Airbag module needs to be replaced and quoted me $979 for parts and labor without a guarantee that it would solve the issue. Anyway, I read about the clock spring issue but my cruise control, radio controls, etc... all work fine so it's not showing the normal signs of the clock spring/spiral cable being bad. I went ahead and replaced the driver's side airbag myself with a unit that was supposedly "tested," and after performing the reset the airbag light went away for about 20 miles of driving (previously it would only turn off for 5-10 miles before coming on again).

So apparently the airbag is not the issue and i'm starting to suspect it's the Airbag control module that's under the center console and is a pain to replace! Before I start ripping the center console apart has anyone replaced the clock spring/spiral cable without having the normal symptoms of no cruise control or horn, radio controls etc... and had the airbag light stay off for good?

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
h.wes15, I posted my situation almost two years ago (pg.27 on this thread) and like you, all my steering wheel controls were functioning without any issues. The SRS light would come on every time I turned the steering wheel nearing full lock, either left or right. I replaced the clock spring and problem solved.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
h.wes15, I posted my situation almost two years ago (pg.27 on this thread) and like you, all my steering wheel controls were functioning without any issues. The SRS light would come on every time I turned the steering wheel nearing full lock, either left or right. I replaced the clock spring and problem solved.
Now that you mention it my airbag light seems to always come on right after I make a hard right turn out of my kids daycare or getting on a certain freeway onramp that basically uturns. I bought a clock spring/spiral cable along with a replacement airbag so hope this takes care of it. I really appreciate the info!!!

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Anytime! I highly doubt the airbag was the issue; the new clockspring will fix that annoying SRS light. One more thing, if that dealership you brought your truck to was a Nissan dealership, stay away from that one. A failing/failed airbag control module would immediately activate the SRS light the second you turn the ignition from ACC-START.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Anytime! I highly doubt the airbag was the issue; the new clockspring will fix that annoying SRS light. One more thing, if that dealership you brought your truck to was a Nissan dealership, stay away from that one. A failing/failed airbag control module would immediately activate the SRS light the second you turn the ignition from ACC-START.
damn even after replacing the spiral cable my airbag light came back on!!!!!!!!! I guess the airbag control module is next. I was really hoping to avoid taking apart the center console to get to that sucker!!!!!!!!!!!!! FML

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
New clockspring? After replacing the clockspring, did you perform the reset procedure for the SRS light?

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
New clockspring? After replacing the clockspring, did you perform the reset procedure for the SRS light?
Turns out the spiral cable/clockspring I installed was already busted so I ordered another one and swapped that in and after taking it to Nissan to do the Steering Angle Sensor recalibration (my VDC and SLIP lights turned on after swapping the clockspring and installing that brake sensor on the new clockspring) my airbag light is finally off. It's only been one day though so keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't return.

The one draw back is I put my steering wheel back on about 5 degrees to the right so it's a little off center when I drive straight, but i'm hesitant to take it off and recenter the clock spring/spiral cable because I don't want to pay $75 to have the steering angle sensor reset again. Anyway, thanks for your help PRIMO!

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Hey Ed, any further updates?

Experiencing the same issue with our 2006 Armada. Airbag light won't reset, but hadn't noticed the "airbag disabled" light not illuminating until I saw your post. This would likely indicate that the seat sensor is not functioning properly. I spoke to the dealer and they want to charge me an hour shop time just to diagnose the issue even though I already know what's wrong. Assuming this would follow by an enormous repair quote. Trying to investigate the issue further before I explore this route, but thousands to fix this is not an option for a 11 year old vehicle. Thanks!

Just a heads up in case anyone runs into this and the reset procedure doesn't fix it (the light returns after a few minutes.)

I've run into this twice now on my 2008 Infiniti QX56. The first time I realized it was because I have a habit of putting my backpack in the passenger seat. My backpack must be just on the cusp of the sensor weight because the "airbag disabled" light on the dash would come off and on while I was driving, which in turn would cause the airbag light to start flashing. So first lesson, don't store anything on your passenger seat while driving.

The second time it came on I read someone mention raising the seat helped, and it did for a few weeks, but came back on. I reset the light using the process in the first post but it kept coming back. I noticed putting weight in the seat without the seat belt would no longer active the "Seatbelt disabled" light on the dash. The dealer stated it was the sensor in the cushion and would be $2500 to replace.

I decided to hold off on the dealer repair and check things out more closely myself. I looked under the passenger seat, on the right side of the seat (closest to passenger door) the top harness (yellow on mine) looked it was being tugged. When I compared it to the other 4 harnesses on that mounting plate I realized the other four had a zip tie anchoring them to the plate, and the top one has a hole in the plate but no zip tie. My guess is something rolled under the seat and got caught and snapped the zip tie. This was causing the harness to "twist outward" from the plate and move a lot when the seat would go up and down. I disconnected the harness and pushed the wires into the connectors on both sides, then re-ziptired the seat end of the harness firmly to the mounting plate. then once again reset the airbag light.

This time, putting weight in the passenger seat (without the seatbelt on) properly activated the seatbelt disabled light on the dash, and removing the weight made the light go off. I've driven for about 50 miles so far and the airbag light is no longer flashing. So if this is happening to you, you might want to check this harness.
-Ed

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I’ve always been able to reset mine, but earlier this week it stubbornly refused to clear after multiple attempts. That left me staring at the flashing red light for a six hour road trip. Today I got under the passenger seat, jiggled all of the electrical connectors, and then attempted the reset procedure. This time it worked the first time. We shall see how long it holds.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I have been, as many of you, frustrated with this stupid light. I have reset it and it keeps coming back. I cannot tell when, i really need to drive more, i have turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and right and nothing, all the functions such as radio, cruise control and so on work fine. I even bought this diagnostic tool to see if it will give me the error code but it comes back with nothing, does this mean that i have to take it to the dealer for them to read the codes, is it a special tool they have. Who ever lives in the Los Angeles area, will the dealer charge to read the codes? or depends on the dealer?
Sorry, i know this an old thread but i am not sure what else to try.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I have been, as many of you, frustrated with this stupid light. I have reset it and it keeps coming back. I cannot tell when, i really need to drive more, i have turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and right and nothing, all the functions such as radio, cruise control and so on work fine. I even bought this diagnostic tool to see if it will give me the error code but it comes back with nothing, does this mean that i have to take it to the dealer for them to read the codes, is it a special tool they have. Who ever lives in the Los Angeles area, will the dealer charge to read the codes? or depends on the dealer?
Sorry, i know this an old thread but i am not sure what else to try.
Thank you.
Have you tried what I did in the post above? Mine seems to come back every six months or so.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Have you tried what I did in the post above? Mine seems to come back every six months or so.
My flashing light reset several times, but now it won't reset. Easily fixed with a small piece of electrical tape applied to the back side of the instrument cluster stencil. The airbag can't work any worse than my 66 Ford.

It's pretty amazing that Nissan can get away with such an obvious manufacturer safety defect on 100% of their cars/trucks.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Thank you, i have tried the jiggling of wires and nothing. i will call the dealer and take it from there. Thanks.

281 - 300 of 318 Posts