295/40/24

or

305/35/24

wider or taller tires?

:)

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
If you go with 295/40's you will be almost 3/4" larger diameter than stock, which doesn't seem like much , but you could get into a tire rubbing the inner fender situation.
Stock diameter: (18's) = 32.6 Inches
305/35 24 = 32.4"
295/40 24 = 33.3"

There is a great website that calcs this for you but it only goes up to 23" :(

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
armagdn said:
whats a good size for 24" wheels

295/40/24

or

305/35/24

wider or taller tires?

:)
A friend of mine put his on 24" and he said it is like riding on rocks and he says it is an rough ride. What should he do?

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
Only thing he can do is go back to a smaller wheel so there will be more sidewall in the tires. Big wheels and very low profile tires= rougher ride.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Just remember that 22-24" wheel/tires usually add about 30lbs of unsprung weight to each corner of the Armada. That is the same as 240lbs of static weight per corner.
So when you hit bumps and potholes, your wheels are going to bounce bigtime. That's what most people are feeling. Then the low profile tires with less rubber on side walls will even make it worse.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Preach2k

I couldn't agree more with scr38 and andy's comments. Those are very accurate statements. The rough ride and big heavy rims could lead to premature failure of suspensions and ball joints.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I put 24" on mine and yeah it is a little bit more ruff but it just means that you need to take a little extra care in avoiding pot holes. I love how it rides on the freeway it is just as smooth as the stock tires. I guess you have to sacrifice ride for looks. It is all into what your into. Just to answer your question I have 305/35/24 KUMHO ECSTA and they dont rub at all. I hope this helps you decision!

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
24s

thanks fellas for your comments :)

it will sure help me on my decision

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Are any of you guys with the big rims bending them????

I went through the low aspect ratio tire thing a few years back with two different european sports sedans. Not only did going down below 55 aspect ratio dramatically increase the stiffness of the ride, it put the rims so close to the ground that I bent rims, front and rear, more than once on both cars from hitting potholes. It got old after a while and expensive.

I know they look cool, but . . . .

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
you will bend rims if you hit potholes going fast. I ran 24's on my old Yukon and never had a problem. I did not drive crazy but I was also lowered 3", so I knew to go slow.

Will the 285/40/24 fit on my new armada with the offroad pckg. ?

I still have the old rims and would like to put them on my MAda

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Still can't understand why you would put a rim on a truck that can bend on a pothole. :rolleyes: :pullout: What happens when you go off road? In snow? Rocks? Mud? Or do you trailerqueen them? :thumbdown

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Wheels look great. Did you have to mess with the fenders or anything to get them to fit?
Can you turn the steering wheel all the way to both sides with no rubbing?

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Andy,

I can turn the wheel lock to lock with no rubbing with out the front mudflaps. I just installed the front and rear mudflaps and the front ones rub on full lock turn. I cut the inner part of the mudflap 3 " and now, no rubbing. The front mudflaps are not flat, they have a curve towards the inside. If you are not using the front mudflaps, no problems.

Kevin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts