Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So on my quest to see about getting the Borla:

I started by pricing the Borla cat-back system. Wow! Quite pricey. That got me to thinking that maybe I could just replace the muffler and add some cool exhaust tips.

After calling Borla and talking with a rep, I found out two things:

1. You can't put just a Borla muffler on the Armada due to some issues with how it mates up with the factory pipe. Could be b.s. just to try to sell me a full cat-back, but I don't know. :clueless:

2. The Borla cat-back system for the Armada only comes with the dual rear exit option. This sucks for people like me that tow a trailer frequently. I need dual side exits.

So, back to square one. Damn, and I really loved the sound of that Borla...

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
You know you will get better performance with a single out? There has been a lot of talk about it over at www.clubtitan.org Just ask JetTech he swears that Slurppie has the best bang for the buck mods for the best performance. You should talk to slurp
m4ck

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
adjmcloon said:
Hey all,

I started by pricing the Borla cat-back system. Wow! Quite pricey. That got me to thinking that maybe I could just replace the muffler and add some cool exhaust tips.

1. You can't put just a Borla muffler on the Armada due to some issues with how it mates up with the factory pipe. Could be b.s. just to try to sell me a full cat-back, but I don't know. :clueless:

2. The Borla cat-back system for the Armada only comes with the dual rear exit option. This sucks for people like me that tow a trailer frequently. I need dual side exits.

You are right about the pricing on the Borla, but, I have a Titan with the Borla on it and I have to say it sounds great and the Titant picked up an additional 14hp and 16lbs of torque at the rear wheels. Yes it is a split rear only and I wish it came with a split side. As far as towing goes, look at Banks or MagnaFlow for a single side, it will work better for you.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Call me stupid, but why is rear exit exhaust bad for towing? I have the Borla and do alot of towing with no issues.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know that it's *bad* per se, but I've always heard due to noise and exhaust fumes it's better to have side-exits when towing.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
6 months ago I started shopping for cat back exhaust. I was going to either Gibson single, Magnaflow, or Borla Dual. THen I heard a Titan that sounded AWESOME. I followed him right to a Nissan dealership and asked what he had.
He went to a muffler shop and only replaced the muffler with a Magnaflow, and kept the rest of exhaust unchanged. Basically he said wasn't looking for any hp or torque boost, only a cool sound. Even the service manager said that was the best sounding Titan/Armada he's ever heard.

The whole thing cost him $100 for muffler and $50 to weld on hanger.

Not bad $150. I don't remember which Magnaflow muffler he used though. This is the route I'm going when I get of my butt off the couch.

I personally think the Gibson cat back single swept is the best performance wise. I've heard this from the off road perfomance shops around L.A.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
adjmcloon said:
Hey all,

I had a borla muffler installed today after inquiring about what I had read here and found out after apprx. 10 muffler shops that it was nothing but b.s. the guy was probably just trying to sell a whole cat back system and they all agree that because of that he at least blew the sale of a muffler. anyway I had the borla xl (19 inches long) installed and it is too sweet. just exactly the sound I was looking for. I kept my stock system and just added the muffler and a nice tip. You've seen the tip on the big chocolate. go for it!!! it was only $250.oo installed.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Sorry for the n00bness, but could someone answer this :

Cat-back replacement gets you HP/TRQ and sound while a muffler is just for sound?

Thanks

:huh:

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Pwrl3ss said:
Sorry for the n00bness, but could someone answer this :

Cat-back replacement gets you HP/TRQ and sound while a muffler is just for sound?

Thanks

:huh:
The theory of more power from a catback is that you get a freer flowing system, which allows the engine to exhale easier. This can be good and bad. Engines need a certain amount of back pressure. If you are too free flowing, you end up loosing power. EX: Every honda civic you see with a fart pipe on it. The muffler is just another restriction point for exhaust. Most upgrade exhaust systems get freer flows due to mandrel bends(smooth bends in pipes), larger diameters, and straight through mufflers. Also, high flow catalytic converters and headers also enhance flows. A system will only breathe as well as its most restrictive point, intake or exhaust. By modifying this restrictive point, you will gain flow capability. If the motor is being choked by lack of flow be it intake or exhaust, and you fix this, it will give you more power.
From most of the guys that have done cat backs, they seem to get 10-15 HP/TQ for the mod. A muffler won't hurt, but you'd probably get more out of a full cat back. Pair that with an intake, high flow filter, headers, high flow cats, and polished heads, and you'd get a substantial boost. :teeth:

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I was always a flowmaster guy until I went and checked out the magnaflow. It is made very well and the exhaust goes straight thru, there are no chambers. Go look at one and you will see what I am talking about.
I have one on my chevy truck and I am going to get one for the mada.
The sound is very deep not raspy like the flowmaster.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I never heard what the magnaflow mufflers sound like, but I've heard a flowmaster super 40 muffler on the Infinity model and sounded solid and deep!! I'm thinking of slapping one on, but keep the stock tip also!!!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
adjmcloon said:
I don't know that it's *bad* per se, but I've always heard due to noise and exhaust fumes it's better to have side-exits when towing.
What do yall think about Stillen Exhaust Sytems?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts