Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know which pin is the upper and which is the lower? Having issues with new Power Stop Z36 Brakes and this will be 3rd reinstall. Want to Make sure I get Everything right!
Also, Why does the service manual say to replace the upper pin with every brake service?
IMAG5424~2.jpg
IMAG5425~2.jpg
IMAG5426~2.jpg
IMAG5427~2.jpg
Inkedslide_LI.jpg
manual.JPG
Thx!

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Not sure which type caliper you have but mines are Akibono type and the pins with the notch are at the bottom. I normally change one side at a time so I can use the other as reference should I loose my way. Hope this helps. I'm on my third brake pads and I've always use the original slide pins. Aftermarket ones seem to not fit well. No lost in braking proformace. I have PowerStop on mine too.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx! I bought OEM akebonos, refurbished, from rock auto... I always take before and after pics, just in case... my pins ( with the notches) were also on bottom.. 90% of video's on youtube show them on bottom as well, however nobody ever mentions the difference.. This is 1st brake job I have done myself.. Got tired of shops installing OE rotors and pads and they wear out fast. rotors get chewed up. pads have uneven wear.. Deathwobble, steeling wheel shimmy, the whole nine.. thats why I went with the Z36 T&T kit.. But Im still having problems! The shims on the pads have shifted on both sides... No clue why/! Then they brake system locked up on the hyway at 60mph! barely got her home.. everything was hot and smoking... some pics from all the issues I'm having...Might sick these on a separate thread if you think I can get some answers??

·
Premium Member
2013 Armada Platinum 8 passenger
62 Posts
oy no good! I don't see your retainer clips in place, did you perhaps not seat them all the way?

Also, did you install the wire springs that come with the pads? They help to separate the pads when the brakes are not applied. They are a bit finicky, but were present on mine from the factory...

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oy no good! I don't see your retainer clips in place, did you perhaps not seat them all the way?

Also, did you install the wire springs that come with the pads? They help to separate the pads when the brakes are not applied. They are a bit finicky, but were present on mine from the factory...
I took the pad retainers out to clean them off. I had to clean up everything after the brakes locked up.. My year, 07 ( Build date nov 06) didnt have those springs, but kinda wish they did... Put everything back to together yesterday. I did notice some play in one caliper with the original pins.. Think I will replace them anyway,, so both sides will have all new hardware..

Thx guys for all your help!!

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I took the pad retainers out to clean them off. I had to clean up everything after the brakes locked up.. My year, 07 ( Build date nov 06) didnt have those springs, but kinda wish they did... Put everything back to together yesterday. I did notice some play in one caliper with the original pins.. Think I will replace them anyway,, so both sides will have all new hardware..

Thx guys for all your help!!
Those Calipers pictured are bad. I wouldn't put them back on.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
toname and disallow: thx for the input!
What gets warped ? pistons? cylinders? What about brackets? Im Still using Originals from Factory. Just assumed they were ok.... Also I mentioned, these were purchased rebuilt from Rock Auto.. However they are NOT akebonos as I thought. they are Cardone... only $65 bucks each after core credit... did notice blee
der valves were really flimsy and cheap looking.. I reused the factories because of that.. Maybe will rethink this project.. Dont want another failure..
Really appreciate all the advise !!

THX!

·
Premium Member
2013 Armada Platinum 8 passenger
62 Posts
I have to start with saying I don't quite know what happened to your brakes. If they were actually locked up for any period of time, they would have generated enough heat to start your vehicle on fire.

That being said, since you said they were locked up and quite hot, the machined metal surfaces, for instance the piston, piston bore, seals, and slide pins would all be subject to this heat and probably need replacing. The bracket would only need to go if it is deformed.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
toname and disallow: thx for the input!
What gets warped ? pistons? cylinders? What about brackets? Im Still using Originals from Factory. Just assumed they were ok.... Also I mentioned, these were purchased rebuilt from Rock Auto.. However they are NOT akebonos as I thought. they are Cardone... only $65 bucks each after core credit... did notice blee
der valves were really flimsy and cheap looking.. I reused the factories because of that.. Maybe will rethink this project.. Dont want another failure..
Really appreciate all the advise !!

THX!
First of...The pictures you provided are they factory original or the ones you bought from RockAuto? Whichever they are. Don't reuse them.

All parts associated with the caliper pictured needs to be replaced. More than likely your rotor is warp due to overheating. Rotors have be replaced in pairs.

Don't get intimidated by a part failure. Nothing you can do about bad parts. Just get new ones from a reliable source (RockAuto is a reliable source, but some brands they sell are not good quality) a trusted brand. Cheap may save you money but can also be doing the work twice. You can do this.

Brake jobs have to be done in pairs...whatever you do on the left, you have to do on the right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts