Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Let me start with, it is a 2004 SE 4/4 Armada with 50K. I have looked just about everywhere and was not able to find anything similar to my issue. About 1K i replaced all the fluid from front/rear diff, transfer case and the transmission and everything was just fine until yesterday. Wife and i took a small trip, about 100mi drive when i started smelling strong, transmission oil type smell. Pulled over to the side of the road and the oil was just about everywhere under the car and mainly under the driver side wheel well and around it. Facing the engine compartment, sure enough, the oil was all over the right side, especially behind the air box. There is a differential breather hose attached to the air box and the only place that i could tell that oil was coming from.
Does anyone know or have an idea what could case the front diff to do this?

Thanks in Advance,

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Over filled?
What type and what weight fluid did you use in the front differential?

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for a such a quick response. Royal Purple 75/90. As far as possibly overfilling, it did cross my mind, but is it possible to actually overfill it by filling though the fill hole and if i remember correctly i did pump about 2qrts in it. The only other thing that i can think of as far as overfilling it, in order for me (6.3 w/240lb) to go under the front of the car i had to lift the front (evenly on both sides) a bit but not enough to take the tires off the floor. Could this have made that difference and not be exact? Also, what would be the reason of happening after 1K miles?

Again, thanks for a quick response.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I had this problem on mine. I had the seal changed on my diff and the guy put the oil back in and a month later I had it coming out of the overflow. But when I checked it it was still at the proper level. The temp can have an affect on it too.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
gear oil or tranny

I dont think its gear oil. What you did wouldn't have added that much oil in it?
So now does it smell like transmission oil or gear oil. That will be the easiest to determine where its coming from. Remember the diff is you used your Royal Purple 75/90. And the tranmission will be your ATF. Both really different type of oil and smell. The ATF is more of a redish color oil and the Gear oil will obviously be purple since thats the brand you use. But if you used Royal Purple on both then the smell is the only way you can do this. Give us more explanation and/or pictures will help.

The only way you can really overflow the differential is if you pulled the diff out and pointed the fill port up and filled it to the top. But if you filled it with the diff in the car and filled it through the fill port the oil will start flowing out when its full.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had this problem on mine. I had the seal changed on my diff and the guy put the oil back in and a month later I had it coming out of the overflow. But when I checked it it was still at the proper level. The temp can have an affect on it too.
Same here, when i opened the fill hole it was barely coming out but definitely there.

I dont think its gear oil. What you did wouldn't have added that much oil in it?
So now does it smell like transmission oil or gear oil. That will be the easiest to determine where its coming from. Remember the diff is you used your Royal Purple 75/90. And the tranmission will be your ATF. Both really different type of oil and smell. The ATF is more of a redish color oil and the Gear oil will obviously be purple since thats the brand you use. But if you used Royal Purple on both then the smell is the only way you can do this. Give us more explanation and/or pictures will help.

The only way you can really overflow the differential is if you pulled the diff out and pointed the fill port up and filled it to the top. But if you filled it with the diff in the car and filled it through the fill port the oil will start flowing out when its full.
The transmission fluid was replaced with Nissan oil and the spill was definitely purple behind the air box. I will take some pictures as soon as i get home but the oil was coming from the overflow hose for sure attached to the air filter box on the back side facing the engine. That is where majority of the oil was and dripping into the wheel well and making a big mess. Having in mind the location of the spill, i just can not think of or see where else the oil could come from at the particular location.

Thanks,

Igor

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,991 Posts
2-qts is about right, I used 2qts for mine... Gear Oil stinks fiercly like Skunk Oil, I doubt you could confuse it with trans fluid....

I'm curious why you used 75W/90 when the manual calls for 80W/90..... I think that's where your problem comes from... I think you used too thin of Oil and it's boiling like water in there, that's just an ignorant guess though since I honestly don't know what the Viscosity numbers really mean...

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
I has happened to me and to others too after changing the front diff oil. The oil is thick and the manual states to fill to hole and then wait a few minutes before capping it. This is to let the oil level off and drain to the proper level. I took the fill bolt when hot and it did drain a little. No problems since.

It does make a mess and it sounds exactly like the problem I and others have had. Do a search here or on the Titan forums.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
2-qts is about right, I used 2qts for mine... Gear Oil stinks fiercly like Skunk Oil, I doubt you could confuse it with trans fluid....

I'm curious why you used 75W/90 when the manual calls for 80W/90..... I think that's where your problem comes from... I think you used too thin of Oil and it's boiling like water in there, that's just an ignorant guess though since I honestly don't know what the Viscosity numbers really mean...

I think the 75w/90 is synthetic. When I was changing out mine I could not find 80w/90 in a synthetic. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I has happened to me and to others too after changing the front diff oil. The oil is thick and the manual states to fill to hole and then wait a few minutes before capping it. This is to let the oil level off and drain to the proper level. I took the fill bolt when hot and it did drain a little. No problems since.

It does make a mess and it sounds exactly like the problem I and others have had. Do a search here or on the Titan forums.
It does make sense and i have not done this. However, i still don't understand why would this happening with just a bit extra oil. I took all of it out and replaced with 2qrts, how much extra could really be in there?

The Hypothetical, is it possible, somehow in some way that the breather hose could get clogged and create unnecessary pressure in the diff? Not sure if this makes any sense technically or logically, just thinking out loud.

Thanks,

Hi Pops, well, i really wanted to go with Royal Purple and this is as close as you can get to conventional 80/90. I also spoke to Royal Purple tech support and he told me that the difference between the synthetic 75/90 is almost not even measurable to conventional 80/90. Also, i do quite a bit of towing in the summer and i know some of you do the same. Having said that i asked him weather i should go with the thicker oil in the rear diff, and he has advised me to stay with 75/90 and just to replace on more frequent basis. Also, for those of you that would like to convert to Royal Purple but not sure what to go with, here you go.

Transmission, MAX ATF
Transfer Case, Synchro MAX

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Thanks for a such a quick response. Royal Purple 75/90. As far as possibly overfilling, it did cross my mind, but is it possible to actually overfill it by filling though the fill hole and if i remember correctly i did pump about 2qrts in it. The only other thing that i can think of as far as overfilling it, in order for me (6.3 w/240lb) to go under the front of the car i had to lift the front (evenly on both sides) a bit but not enough to take the tires off the floor. Could this have made that difference and not be exact? Also, what would be the reason of happening after 1K miles?

Again, thanks for a quick response.

You answered your own question.

The first time I drained/filled the front diff, I did exactly what you did and thought everything was good. After driving 300-400 miles over the weekend, the vent tube started leaking out the fluid. With the front end raised up, some fluid may have been left behind even though it may seem completely drained.

The last couple of times I drained/filled the front diff, I placed a 6in thick cinder block by each tire and drove right on it. Not only did it make it easier to work on the front diff, it keeps the truck leveled and I haven't had any issues with the vent tube since.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
armada fluid

if you added about 2 quarts. Your almost 1/2 a quart to much. According to the service manual the fluid should be 3.375 pints of gear oil. which in quarts is about 1.6875. So that just a little over a 1 1/2 quart of gear oil. I attached the armada fluid guide. This could be where your problem is. I know when I changed both my rear and front diff fluid. I bought 4 quarts and had a little less than 1/2 quart left.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

Let me start with, it is a 2004 SE 4/4 Armada with 50K. I have looked just about everywhere and was not able to find anything similar to my issue. About 1K i replaced all the fluid from front/rear diff, transfer case and the transmission and everything was just fine until yesterday. Wife and i took a small trip, about 100mi drive when i started smelling strong, transmission oil type smell. Pulled over to the side of the road and the oil was just about everywhere under the car and mainly under the driver side wheel well and around it. Facing the engine compartment, sure enough, the oil was all over the right side, especially behind the air box. There is a differential breather hose attached to the air box and the only place that i could tell that oil was coming from.
Does anyone know or have an idea what could case the front diff to do this?

Thanks in Advance,
Over filled?
What type and what weight fluid did you use in the front differential?
I have a 2012 Armada 4wd my front Differential vent hose is leaking gear oil it isn't wrong oil or over filled dealership replaced the seals about 18 months ago.I seen leakage so I started inspecting and found house just lying under the air box is with nothing attached to that end of it is the correct routing and with no check valve?

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I have a 2012 Armada 4wd my front Differential vent hose is leaking gear oil it isn't wrong oil or over filled dealership replaced the seals about 18 months ago.I seen leakage so I started inspecting and found house just lying under the air box is with nothing attached to that end of it is the correct routing and with no check valve?
That is how my ‘04 is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts