Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Finally go the truck back today... It was my front body mounts.... Never would have thought that... What a stupid part to fail. At least its fixed. Wasnt covered by aftermarket warranty but the dealer decided to replace them at the cost of my $50 deductible due to my frustration. Finally smiling again...

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I am new to the forum and have a 04 LE that is making that same kind of noise. The dealer checked it out and said it is the end links and sway bar bushings... It is going in tomorrow to get fixed but now I am not certain they have diagnosed it correctly. The end links look straight...? thoughts?

btw... love the forum, lot of great info. Purchased the Armada after selling an 07 Sequoia. Now I have a 30' Jayco trailer (did not know this would be the case when I purchased the Armada) and the Armada tow package is awesome. Soon to do some performance mods to help out with the towing...

thanks.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I am new to the forum and have a 04 LE that is making that same kind of noise. The dealer checked it out and said it is the end links and sway bar bushings... It is going in tomorrow to get fixed but now I am not certain they have diagnosed it correctly. The end links look straight...? thoughts?

btw... love the forum, lot of great info. Purchased the Armada after selling an 07 Sequoia. Now I have a 30' Jayco trailer (did not know this would be the case when I purchased the Armada) and the Armada tow package is awesome. Soon to do some performance mods to help out with the towing...

thanks.
That is there first step... Most common cause of this issue is the Sway Bar Bushings... if that is not it then please tell them to check the front body mounts. Keep us posted on the problem... My truck was at the dealer for this issue an endless amount of days. Technically my body mounts were not covered but they covered them anyway due to the lengthy diagnosis. The service manager said a TSB will be generated from my repair...

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,991 Posts

thanks.
IMHO, the best "Towing Mods" are the free "Airbox Mod" and a Superchips Flashpaq. If you add a CAI or an Exhaust system, the motor gets a bit loud at higher RPMs that are often used when towing a TT so it can make watching movies or sleeping a bit less comfortable... Superchips has a specific tune mapped for Towing that makes quite a bit of difference, IMHO...

Transgo makes a Shift Kit for our transmissions that reduces wear and tear.. I don't see a necessary need for it, but it is available if you decide you want one.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
just picked it back up and it is fixed, sway bar bushings and end links. Dealer said the front shocks should be next on my list to replace. Thanks for the advice pops. I was just about to do a cai and exhaust. I think I will try the airbox mod first. I will also check out the Superchips Flashpaq.

oh..I had them do the 2* advance as well...that is worth it...thanks again.

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
I held off publishing the swaybar bushing upgrade because "some modifications required" caveat regarding the front....but here goes:

I'm not sure all Armadas have the same size bars but my 2008 has the following:

36mm front
27mm rear

I know some use the drop in Titan front bushings with the stock brackets, but 2mm was too much for my tastes.

Rear solution was easy, remove and replace with part number:

Energy Suspension 9.5169G (change "G" to "R" for red bushings)

These have grease fittings and replace the rear hardware with no modifications.

The fronts were a different issue. Not huge, but might be a little much for someone a little less mechanical.

I replaced the fronts with:

Energy Suspension 9.5173G

These are 35mm, the biggest universal bushing they make currently. The brackets will need the mounting holes drilled out to 1/2" plus one of them slotted. Once you see the factory brackets you'll see what I mean by slotted. Modify them just like the factory brackets and make sure the slot goes back on the top hole. I also sanded the inner race of the bushing to get rid of some bind, and mounted washers between the bracket and the frame. Those steps are totally unnecessary as the bushing fits close enough to perfect...but I race cars and I'm admittedly a little anal with car setup :)

I did the sway bar mods a few weeks before I did the front Bilsteins and can say the bushings made the bigger difference during daily driving. And all for under $40!!!! Steering response and turn-in has improved dramatically as well as the understeer.

Hope others enjoy!!!
Thanks for the info Csptk. I just purchased the bushings for my front sway bar. I love the idea that they are greasable! I am tired of the winter noise problems with the OEM ones.

Okay, I bought, modified and installed front sway bar bushings from Energy Suspension. I love the fact that they are greasable and they do seem much better quality than OEM. The modifications stated above are fairly easy with the right tools. I used a dremel to cut the slots.
My only problem is that the brackets are a tight fit to match up with the vehicle holes. When installed, the bolt on the slotted end is at the edge of the bracket. The center of the bolt lines up with the outer edge of the bracket. A little too close for me.

Nissan has new design bushings which are not opened at the back. They are selling only these now. I am going to give these a shot since the opening is no longer in the back which should help the squeak problem.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/att...ew-nissan-sway-bar-bushing-design-bushing.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am getting a loud clunking noise in my 08 Armada. It first started out when backing out my driveway and slightly turning the wheel when my front axle articulates it make a clunking sound... I took it to the dealer and they said it was my driveshaft and replaced it under warranty. Still happens and now it happened yesterday while pumpkin picking. While trying to find a place to park I had to go over a grass median with an incline. Only an SUV could have done the maneuver but nothing that I thought my Armada couldnt handle and there was alot of clunking etc during this operation.

Anyone have any suggestions.
If your vehicle is a four wheel drive check the fluid in your transfer case if it's low it's going to make that clunking sound because you don't have enough fluid in it...

21 - 29 of 29 Posts