Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post but long time lurker. Great site here....

I am questioning whether I am getting the right mpg for my 04 Armada. I know the sticker showed 13 and 17 which I figured would be a little high.

Everyday I drive 20 miles of highway (three stop lights) at average 65-70mph speeds, then another 10 miles of suburb city driving. So I would consider this maybe 60% highway and 40% city driving to be conservative. Driving like this, I average 12.9mpg. This is a calculation that I get when filling up. I have a base model so I don't have the digital readout. I have never had the vehicle on a long trip without pulling a boat or camper so I don't have a complete highway mpg estimate.

Is this right? Shouldn't I be getting something more like 14-15mpg?

Also, my low fuel light starts to come on after about 23 gallons have been used. Should I have ~5 gallons left when my guage is on empty?

I am taking it back to the shop for the brake refit, so I have asked them to look into it but they are telling me this is normal. They also said I should try 93 octane instead of the book recomended 87. I don't see that this is going to help in my mpg.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
I have been closely watching my MPG. I've been logging on a spreadsheet. I drive 80% street and the rest on freeway. I get 11.5 - 13.5 everytime. Only got 16mpg when driving a lot on freeway.

I've seen a lot of other people getting 15-16 mpg and can't figure it out. Must be a lot of freeway driving or no street lights where they live.

I am actually impressed by my MPG. My last SUV was a Mercedes ML320 with a 3.2l 6 cyl and barely got 11MPG.

I guess we need an Armada Hybrid?

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Gas Mileage

I have an 04 Armada and I consistantly get 15 around town and 18 to 19 on the highway. Also check your tire pressures.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
First timer myself. I had to respond. I live in Phoenix where I use the air quite often. I average mid 11's to high 12's.

I tow a 24 toy hauler so I'm not sure what I would get on the highway with out it but I have never achieved 15mpg. FYI - I get about 6-7mpg towing

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Hi all,
Thought I would weight-in on the gas mileage. I just got my Armada last week (used 2004, fully loaded) and have only filled up once. I drive about 25 miles each way to work and ~85% is freeway. I have been watching the monitor as I drive and it has helped me to back off of the excellerator when I turn or take off from a light!
I don't know if the monitor is accurate or not but I am between high 15 and low 17 mpg. I notice if I have to do too much surface street driving, it goes down unless I really baby it. The car has 24K miles on it so maybe it is broken in more than a brand new Armada.
I bought the car to tow a horse trailer - the person from Phoenix scared me - saying he only got 6-7mpg when towing. I am in Tucson and also have to run my AC, I guess I will keep my horse trips to a minimum!!!
Rhonda

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I took a trip to Grand Coulee Dam from Portland, OR. Here is my fuel economy report. From Portland to Seattle with some traffic jams entering Tacoma and Seattle, the Armada averaged 15.9 MPG. From Seattle to GCD, I started on I-90 at 70 MPH. I got 17.2 MPG.

A trip back to Seattle and Portland, I filled it up at GCD. I started back to Seattle on Highway 2 at average speed of 60 MPH. From Seattle to Portland, I took I-5S with average speed of 65 MPH. From GCD to Portland, the Armada hit 410 miles. I filled it up in Portland with 21.4 gallons. From GCD to Portland, the Armada averaged 19.16 MPG. This is better than the old 3.0L Pathfinder and 4Runner. I bet the Armada can do 20+ MPG with only the driver and 60 MPH with no AC on.

You guys and gals with tow pkg, how many RPM at 80 MPH?

SE 4x4 w/o tow, 80 MPH @ 2000 RPM
AC was on all time
5 people(600lbs) + supplies(100lbs)
Stock size tires with pressure @ 35psi
Currently has 3,000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Mine

I am at the lower end of what you guys are reporting, with a consistent city/highway mix at about 13 mpg. My Armada wears 20x9 rims with 305/50/20 tires. As mentioned above, I find that figure pretty phenominal considering similar vehicles and many that are smaller and less powerful don't best it on economy. Hummer H2s are notorious for delivering around 9 mpg.

I noticed that when pulling 2 jetskis on a large trailer my economy dropped some, but i don't have the figures (my job gives me free gas so I don't track it like I should).

Take care.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Mike,

You might try disconnecting your battery overnight. I was getting 13 consistently, and after I did my stereo install and reconnected my battery I started getting better mileage. I'm up to around 15-17 depending on how much highway I drive.

Got any pics of your ride? I'm thinking of going to a 305/50/20 which is a little bigger than my current 275/55/20.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
well to get only 11-13 when driving is bad but to get 6-9 when towing is devastating. i hope i dont get these mpg when i get my truck. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
rattanak said:
I took a trip to Grand Coulee Dam from Portland, OR. Here is my fuel economy report. From Portland to Seattle with some traffic jams entering Tacoma and Seattle, the Armada averaged 15.9 MPG. From Seattle to GCD, I started on I-90 at 70 MPH. I got 17.2 MPG.

A trip back to Seattle and Portland, I filled it up at GCD. I started back to Seattle on Highway 2 at average speed of 60 MPH. From Seattle to Portland, I took I-5S with average speed of 65 MPH. From GCD to Portland, the Armada hit 410 miles. I filled it up in Portland with 21.4 gallons. From GCD to Portland, the Armada averaged 19.16 MPG. This is better than the old 3.0L Pathfinder and 4Runner. I bet the Armada can do 20+ MPG with only the driver and 60 MPH with no AC on.

You guys and gals with tow pkg, how many RPM at 80 MPH?

SE 4x4 w/o tow, 80 MPH @ 2000 RPM
AC was on all time
5 people(600lbs) + supplies(100lbs)
Stock size tires with pressure @ 35psi
Currently has 3,000 miles on it.
I have the tow package and I run about 2300 RPMs going 80 MPH.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
I just drove Los Angeles to Las Vegas and back again. 600 miles roundtrip.
98% of the time 80mph on cruise control. 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 small suitcases.
Got 14.5mpg LA --> LV
Got 15.5mpg LV --> LA

A/C was on HIGH both front and rear. The whole time.

I think the A/C makes a big difference? I did the exact same drive last Christmas with NO A/C on, and got 17.2mpg.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I only have 2400 miles. Mostly city driving, no towing. MPG have been getting better with every tank. Now using 87 octance, cause it doesn't seem to make a difference lol and about 4-5 dollars cheaper every fill up.

I started out getting about 13, slowly creeping up to last tank I got was 15.5. I have been trying not to floor it all the time, im sure that helps too :)

seems like I put gas every day in this thing, but knew that going in....

do you guys see any difference in MPG using 93 instead of 87?? if not, there is no point in paying extra $$ for 93 ?? Maybe a little better performance, Maybe better in the long run for the motor???

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
inf3rno said:
well to get only 11-13 when driving is bad but to get 6-9 when towing is devastating. i hope i dont get these mpg when i get my truck. :rolleyes:

One thing to consider is the type of driving. Some people hit it hard at the green and jam them on at the red. I can get 1-2 mpg difference when I drive differently(agressive vs. cautious). Anything under 60 mph gets me 14.5-16 mpg depending on amount of stopping. Anything over 70 mph my mpg goes down, averaging 14 mpg at 70 or so, 12.5 mpg at 85 mph. These are family trip numbers (2 kids and loaded). Also, if you have a beast that gets less than reported, consider you may have a HOT engine. Depending on the truck, HP can be +/- 10 %. The last thing to consider is whether you have the lower gear ratio in your beast (offroad and big tows I believe).

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
mess said:
One thing to consider is the type of driving. Some people hit it hard at the green and jam them on at the red. I can get 1-2 mpg difference when I drive differently(agressive vs. cautious). Anything under 60 mph gets me 14.5-16 mpg depending on amount of stopping. Anything over 70 mph my mpg goes down, averaging 14 mpg at 70 or so, 12.5 mpg at 85 mph. These are family trip numbers (2 kids and loaded). Also, if you have a beast that gets less than reported, consider you may have a HOT engine. Depending on the truck, HP can be +/- 10 %. The last thing to consider is whether you have the lower gear ratio in your beast (offroad and big tows I believe).
yea thats what i was thinking... if ppl are getting 11-13mpg is cuz maybe they floor it too much. even tho is fun, the car i have right now is to get me to work thats all, and is a 2002 car. will be same with truck, and since i dont speed or race, i guessing to get a 14-16mpg on it !! ;)

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I have an 04 LE with a drop in Fram Air Hog and running Mobil 1 synthetic and my last trip from Houston to Dallas I averaged 17.8 mpg @ 85 mph. This was with my family 2 kids and all of our gear. I also run my tires at 40 lbs which seems to make the ride a little harder.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
93 VS 87 octane

Heat03 said:
do you guys see any difference in MPG using 93 instead of 87?? if not, there is no point in paying extra $$ for 93 ?? Maybe a little better performance, Maybe better in the long run for the motor???
I just traded my 2004 Pathfinder LE for the 2005 Armada LE so I don't have much mileage data to report on the Mada. I did do the octane test on the Pathfinder though.

93 Octane was recommeded for it and I found that it made a diffrence of 3 miles to the gallon. Ran this test on more than half a dozen fill ups with 87 and 93 and numbers were consistant.

The physics is simple the 93 octane burns slower so the fuel consumption is lower. 6 octane points is night and day.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
saying that the armada gives u dismal fuel economy, is saying that the competitors are getting something like 20city-27hwy. we all know big suv's come with V8 power, wich means ur engine will be working like in a desert, wanting water every time!! reading other forums from ford, dodge, etc... the armada it is not better nor lower on mpg than the rest. but it is an awesome truck to look at and maybe to have!!!! ( ill get mine soon :D )

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
inf3rno said:
saying that the armada gives u dismal fuel economy, is saying that the competitors are getting something like 20city-27hwy. we all know big suv's come with V8 power, wich means ur engine will be working like in a desert, wanting water every time!! reading other forums from ford, dodge, etc... the armada it is not better nor lower on mpg than the rest. but it is an awesome truck to look at and maybe to have!!!! ( ill get mine soon :D )
You're right. I just turned in a leased Mercedes ML320 last Oct. What a piece of sheet. It got 10-11MPG with a V6 3.2l engine. Had to floor it to get it moving. We complain about brakes and rattles, you should try the ML's.
I had plastic cracking on the c pillar, electrical shorts, radiator hoses with holes, stuck windows, moonroof stuck, and a new transmission at 13k miles.

Oh, the point is that it got worse gas mileage than the Armada.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
omg!! see? thats what im saying.. even tho it was a V6 !!! for crying out loud!! cant believed it only gave you 11 mpg plus that load of problems. you guys shoud be more than happy with ur madas. yes or yes?? ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts