Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THANKS NISSAN! My beautiful '05 Galaxy Armada LE ran out of gas on the hwy at 2 AM this morning. The story:

I filled up the tank a few days ago and really didn't pay close attention to mileage or anything. However, yesterday, I did take notice that the bloody gauge was still reading above full. I thought, "That can't be possible!" Anyway, I checked the trip screen and it read "370 miles till empty". As I drove, the miles till empty would decrease like one mile for every 20 or so that I actually drove. I kinda figured that all of a sudden the needle would drop down to a quarter tank or the warning light would pop on, so I started watching it carefully. I wanted to be able to accurately describe the problem to Nissan.

So I am heading home late last night and putt-putt, she ran out of gas without any warning whatsoever! The gauge still read full and the trip screen said that I had 365 miles till empty. I had to coast to the next exit and park this bad boy with the hazard lights on. How embarassing....brand new rig, all clean and shiny, and out of gas! I was very lucky as far as location goes. I had to walk about a half mile to a gas station still open.

After I got the truck to the station and put $40 bucks in it, the needle still hasn't moved. Nissan is going to get a spicy call today! :mad:

Keep your eyes out for this problem. Running out of gas is no fun! :(

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
My gas gauge was stuck on FULL since it rolled off the lot. It took 2 months for the Nissan dealer to get the fix. Not sure what they replaced but here's what it says on the invoice.
FB20AA RPL FUEL LEVEL SENDING UNIT
308 WP
1 17040-7S000 PUMP COMPL

REPLACED FUEL SENDING UNIT

Anyway, now that I got my new gas gauge, not all is good. The gauge is about a little less than 1/4 tank empty so I figure I've got about 3-5 gals left. I ended up pumping in 27.7 gals, out of 28. So my new gas gauge still is not accurate. But at least it's not pinned on FULL all the time.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
People should take note of this problem. The Nissan service manager was not at all surprised at what happened to me and Andy. This is a systemic problem that does affect '05's. Keep in mind that my gauge worked correctly for a while. The failure was totally unexpected and without warning. If more than one person drives your Armada, it is a recepie for disaster. Your wife may not be happy about being stranded on the hwy at 10 PM.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Same thing happened to my 05' LE. The gas gauged stopped registering 2 days after leaving the lot. And I ran out of gas 3 days later. It took 5 weeks before the new sender unit came in. In the mean time, I had to keep a log on how much gas I purchased and mile driven so I wouldn't run out again.

It was embarrassing, sitting on the highway in morning rush hour, snowing and 15 degrees needing to call AAA for gas on my 5 day old BRAND NEW truck.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Hey David5272,
I like your avatar. That's an actual picture of my Armada taken with 26" wheels on it. Not the real wheels though. The wheel shop was taking some pictures for advertising. Armada was lowered with help from photoshop.

Anyway, Nissan finally got my gas gauge working. I still don't trust it after a month or two. I still keep a log and fill up every 280 miles on the odometer.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
andy said:
Hey David5272,
Anyway, Nissan finally got my gas gauge working. I still don't trust it after a month or two. I still keep a log and fill up every 280 miles on the odometer.
I picked mine up yesterday. It seems to be working, but the Nissan guys just didn't seem to have a lot of confidence, so I don't trust it yet either. But the dealership was very eager to please. They are really into this customer service initiative. Supposedly we will get a survey everytime they do waranty work. It seems vitally important to them that they get postitive feedback.

Keep this in mind and use it to get the service you desire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts