Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I wish it would be that simple. I replaced the valve covers, gaskets and pcv valves about 2 months ago, right after I did the headers, so less than 1500 miles on them. The valve cover on bank 2 didn't really keep the oil in that well! I am afraid my problem will be more sinister than that, and far more expensive too. I am already pricing rebuilt heads and possible an engine swap. The only thing I can think of that would make it burn oil is bad valves or seals/stems or bad rings. Bad rings would mean another engine. Not too happy, it has cost a lot to do all this work so far. I am into the vehicle for about 6k all total. 4K for the truck, new headers, b pipes, tune, valve covers, plugs coils injectors. And only 162k miles?!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
What are you doing next? Burning oil, if you are, is pretty much piston rings, valve seals, PCV related or a head gasket.
Have you changed the oil to see how much you are burning?

At this point I would test the cylinder compression (because I have the tool already) and go from there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'll drive it on my day off and see how it looks. If nothing changes it's off to the mechanic. Dont really have the tools for compression and leak down test. Dont want to buy them either...volvo needs some attention, so that will be first. Could a new injector cause this? It its rings then it'll have to be an engine swap...

I think I can rule out pcv valves and valve cover baffles they are brand new nissan.

Update on smoking. problems. To recap, driving home, car started bucking and smoking. Stalled once I pulled over. Read codes, P0308 (misfire #8) The boffins on the forum suggested pulling plug and testing injector. Plug was wet, I did not ohm the injector correctly. Ordered new injector, pulled fuel rail, #8 stayed in the head. Removed, tested, 12.5 ohms. Installed new one just because. Car started and ran like normal except now blowing bluish(?) smoke. Thought the worst. tchjts1 sent a link that many times new injectors will smoke on installation. Sitting in the driveway smoking like a stack. No oil in coolant or vice versa, never gotten hot. Oil on dipstick needs to be changed but otherwise good.
Today, cold and rainy. Started it up, smoke. Drive up the country road, a little smoke. NO loss of power, oil pressure and engine temp normal. No missing. Drove about 5-10 miles pulled into the driveway...not a wisp of smoke. Rechecked everything under the hood, still no oil or coolant contamination. I am going to let it cool down for a few hours and start it again and see how things look. Hopefully I dodged a bullet, but I am driving to the mechanic tomorrow and let him look, smell and listen for anything untoward.
Lesson learned: Rebuilt heads are $880. 129k mile engine in New Braunfels is $1586 plus lotsa labor.
I will keep ya posted if you are interested. But it might smoke later on this evening so who knows!

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Appreciate the update. Even from the video you had posted didn’t display the typical bluish smoke from a worn/damaged valvetrain or from damaged, leaking rings. More than likely, the smoke the truck was giving off was any residual gas build up that settled in the exhaust system from the leaking injector.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the help and support. I would have found it hard to believe internal engine damage would manifest itself so suddenly unless a piston ring broke in half or something. Still taking it to the mechanic tomorrow and have him give it a quick look. Started it after it cooled down and smoke/vapor a little, but it has been raining all day and fairly cool for this part of Texas, so nothing to be concerned about.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Thanks for the detailed updates. They'll be quite helpful for the next person who has similar issues.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts