Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 05 armada with the tech and nav package almost 1 month ago to the day. It's performace has been flawless, save for this one issue. I now have 700 miles on it, and it's been filled up 3 times. Once at the dealers, and twice by me.

The first time i filled it, the onboard computer told me I had about 50 miles to empty and it took nearly 26 gallons. So it was working 'okay' at this point.

This last time (the third time), I let it go, to see how much I could get out of the tank. To my surprise I only got about 220 miles (in city). The onboard computer told me I had 9 miles left to empty. At the same time, the gas guage warning light on the instrument cluster came on.

When I went to fill it up, the max it would take is 21.5 gallons. Thus, there had to have been 6 gallons left, and some change. I really topped it off, just until gas dribbled out of the tank.

Also on the hwy at 75 mph on a flat level road the max the onboard computer tells me I'm getting is 10.5 miles per gallon. I bought the vehicle anyway, since I just thought then engine must be really tight, but obviously the two are related.

This is very disconcerning to me, obviously I have a faulty fuel level sending unit, or some other sort of relay. It will require a trip to the shop, but has anyone else had this happen to them? Has your dealer been responsive to the issue?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Just fyi. I don't have tech/nav. but you're right about being worried. My fuel light only comes on when I have 5 gallons left. (i figure to give me some cushion to get more). my city mileage is a poor 12.64 but i didn't buy it to save gas. I haven't played with the armada computer but my old car used to figure miles to empty by calculating from my average mpg (which I could reset) hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Well if your fuel light is coming on with 5 gallons left than maybe it's normal, or we both have the issue.

It seems like an awful lot of gas, but then again, it could only be 30 miles if one is towing a trailor.

I'm not in love with the fuel economy, 10 miles on the hwy at 75, seems a bit out of control. But, we'll see what transpires. This vehicle definetly won't be a keeper if it's getting that kind of mileage. I'll have to join the lemon crew.

But I have a feeling that something is up with the MPG, 10 is just way to low to be getting with the AC off, and one person in the car on a tailwind section heading west on I-10. There's a 25 mile downhill run just outside of Tucson and I'm still lucky to get 11 miles per gallon at 75, with cruise control on.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I don't have the nav system, so I don't know about the gas calculation to empty; I have an 04 LE and we have driven it twice from Atlanta to Orlando, Fla and we averaged around 18.5 mpg running about 70. When we drove it from Atlanta to Texas and back, we averaged about 18 mpg running the same. I usually average about 14 mpg running around the city - it's not too bad, but when I compare that to the 30 mpg my Altima gets, it stinks. But then it's a helluva lot more car than my Altima and I'll take the luxury and driving fun (not to mention all the head-turning looks I get) over the gas mileage. When I'm strapped for funds, I just drive the Altima. I don't know for sure how many gallons I have left when the fuel light comes on but I have driven it a lot after it lights up. My gosh, I once had a Grand Prix with the digital gas guage - when you got down to 2 bars, you better stop at the next station! Well, we were driving it back from the mountains and were stuck in awful traffic when my husband said, uh-oh - we're down to two bars; we kept going and going cause there wasn't a gas station anywhere and then it got down to one bar and started flashing - we started really getting nervous then and kept going; we kept waiting to feel the sputtering and jerking when we looked at the gas gauge and all of a sudden we had 4 bars! The further we went, the more bars we got! I said, "keep going, in another 20 miles we'll have a full tank!" We never figured that one out but I would never have another digital gas guage again!

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Don't put too much stock in the computer readings for gas mileage... It's really just a "best guess" by the computer based on the current engine speed, throttle position, etc. It's not really an accurate number. If you pay attention to it constantly you'll see that it changes very highly based on driving conditions. If you're driving uphill for a long distance, it will show very poor mileage, but if you're driving downhill or not putting a strain on the engine, you will see a higher number on the computer. It's not generally a good way to estimate mileage.

The only way to get a truly accurate number is to fill up once, drive until most of the tank is gone, then fill up again. Take the number of miles you've driven and divide that by the exact gallons from the second fill up, and you will have a truly accurate number. The computer mileage is really just an educated "guess".

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I get about 220 out of a tank in town as well and put in around 21 gallons. I use to get 11.7mpg when new now its down around 10.5 driving the exact same roads. The nav mpg are bogus mine says I get around 12.7 which is 2mpg more than measured. On the highway it is actually fairly accurate on long trips. I get close to 15.8+\- going 80mph.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I'd sanity check the computer's numbers. Fill it up, drive it - take notes periodically on the computer's gas mileage. Then compare it against the odometer and how much gas you put in the truck at the next fill up.

Without the computer, I'm still puzzled as to why the low gas light comes on with so much gas left in the tank.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Armadaof1 said:
Without the computer, I'm still puzzled as to why the low gas light comes on with so much gas left in the tank.
Because at 10 mpg, 6 gallons won't get you too far so you don't want to pass up too many stations when it comes on......

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I have noticed the pessimistict fuel light. I have the same one on my 350Z. It does get better milage but the DTE ind is never accurate. Even if the computer says 20mpg with 20 gallon tank(350Z), It will never say better than about 330 to empty. Fortunatly I can do the math. I have gotten more than 100 miles after the light came on, without worry. The armada is much the same. I recently put about 900 highway miles @ 90 mph averaging 16.5 mpg (my calculations not computers) I filled up twice with little drama after the light had been on for about 50 - 60 miles. I still wish it got better milage but I know that much of it is my driving habits. I can't help myself when it gets of the line sooo nice and passing those unsuspecting left lane hoggers with ease. Life is ying and yang, taking good with bad so for the smile on my face I'll stop at an extra gas station or two.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Since I bought mine in Feb. of '04, I have averaged 13mpg overall. This is in mixed driving. I have noticed that the light will come on and I've got 5-6 gallons left. I'm usually around 330 at fillup, but sometimes as much as 360-380 depending on how the wife drives it that week. :D

Looks like you've read about the sending unit issues on the '05's.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
adjmcloon said:
Since I bought mine in Feb. of '04, I have averaged 13mpg overall. This is in mixed driving. I have noticed that the light will come on and I've got 5-6 gallons left. I'm usually around 330 at fillup, but sometimes as much as 360-380 depending on how the wife drives it that week. :D

Looks like you've read about the sending unit issues on the '05's.

Mine was exactly like adjmcloon's for the first 18-24 months (330-380 per tank), but recently it has not wanted to fill up past the full line. I used to be able to count on 100 miles per 1/4 tank, and if it wasn't at 200 before 1/2 then I must have been hot rodding. Now, by 155 miles it is at half, it never fills up to full, it will spit back gas if you try to fill it any further. They checked (they said they did) the sending unit and said everything is fine (typical Nissan service answer). I know a poorly grounded gauge can read inaccurately, so I'm thinking about doing the ground wire fix. Anyone that has done the fix have any fuel gauge issues????

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Mileage

Ok so my numbers are metric but I have a similar situation 04 armada le, w/o nav, 100 litre tk

the top half of the tank according to thr gauge goes by real quick. when th gauge reads 1/4 tk i will fill up and only put 60l into the tk, when the lo fuel warning light comes on i fill up and put in 75- 80 l.

I guess that is normal????

tg

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I have a 04 LE 4x4 and have had it about a year now. It has 9800 or so miles on it. Just recently, like the last two fill ups, the gas gauge seems to be a little incorrect. I was getting about 320 miles out of a tank. Now it seems I'm only getting about 260-270 miles a tank. When I filled up today, I waited until the gas light came on as usual and it only took 22 gallons. When I cranked the truck the gas gauge showed just over 3/4 of a tank. So, sounds like a fuel sending unit.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Mine is getting 15.7 MPG (according to Nav System) and I have 1900 miles. I've been from here to Lexington KY and back, and even driving around down in D.C. traffic this sucker stay at 15.7 MPG even when I reset it after filling up.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Until recently when I filled the tank the distance to empty calculator on the nav system would almost always read 360 miles. Recently it won't show above 315. The gauge won't read to the full line either. It also seems that the mpg estimate is lower than it used to be. I am pushing 32,000 miles so I am getting ready to go to the dealer with a list of things that need tended to before the warranty is up.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Remember guys and gals,

The nav system for miles per gallon is a guess, it is not accurate at all. You need to use the old fashioned way by Dividing miles driven by gallons put in.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.