Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Does anyone know the gauge of the charge line in the trailer wiring on our Armadas? We have a three way fridge in our trailer that runs off 12v DC while traveling. I know the charge line needs to be at least 10 gauge and would be better if it were 8 gauge.

Thanks
Ken

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
I don't know the wire size, but the trailer power supply has a 30 amp fusible link in the circuit, so the wire has to handle that much current. The trailer power is controlled by tow relay 2. Look at the attached drawing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
As was said, it can handle 30 amps. If you need more, I'd run a seperate line. Put an inline fuse by the battery and run the wires back. Check the fridge instructions to see what kind of draw it has. If you are blowing fuses, a capacitor might help as it might have a surge in draw when it starts.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information. The charge line appears to be smaller then 10 gauge, I'm going to make sure this weekend. If it is, I will run a separate 8 gauge line and not have to worry about it. I was hoping to avoid this while the 105 - 110 degree weather was around, but we have to go camping some where cooler this summer so it needs to be done!

Thanks
Ken

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
The best thing to do is check your fridge for the current draw when running of 12 volts. That info should be on the papers that came with the unit, or on a tag on the unit. A 10 gauge wire will carry 34 amps DC. Since the power to the trailer is fused for 30 amps I would think the wire is 10 gauge. It would not be any smaller, because it would not be able to handle a 30 amp load. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Check the current draw on the fridge, and if it is less than 30 amps then go with it. If more, then you will have to run a new, larger wire, properly fused.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
scr38 said:
The best thing to do is check your fridge for the current draw when running of 12 volts. That info should be on the papers that came with the unit, or on a tag on the unit. A 10 gauge wire will carry 34 amps DC. Since the power to the trailer is fused for 30 amps I would think the wire is 10 gauge. It would not be any smaller, because it would not be able to handle a 30 amp load. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Check the current draw on the fridge, and if it is less than 30 amps then go with it. If more, then you will have to run a new, larger wire, properly fused.
The fridge is rated at 15 amps. The trailer manufacturer recommends 10 gauge. I checked it this weekend and it looks like 12 gauge to me. I'm sure it is not 10

Thanks
Ken

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
A 12 gauge wire in a bundle with others will safely conduct 23 amps DC, so you should have no problem unless you have other loads on that circuit that would cause a continous load in excess of 23 amps.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
scr38 said:
A 12 gauge wire in a bundle with others will safely conduct 23 amps DC, so you should have no problem unless you have other loads on that circuit that would cause a continous load in excess of 23 amps.

I think that is true as well. The problem occurs when the battery is low and is fully charging and the fridge turns on. That draw is too much for the #12 line and it over heats and can blow the fuse.

Ken

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
92TripleBlack said:
As was said, it can handle 30 amps. If you need more, I'd run a seperate line. Put an inline fuse by the battery and run the wires back. Check the fridge instructions to see what kind of draw it has. If you are blowing fuses, a capacitor might help as it might have a surge in draw when it starts.

I ran the separate line (#10, with inline 30 amp fuse) from the battery this weekend. I'm being a bit cautious before hooking up the trailer. Do I need to do anything additional to protect the electronics in the Armada?

Thanks
Ken

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
This should work fine, Ken. You have the line properly fused, so there is no danger of harming anything on the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
scr38 said:
This should work fine, Ken. You have the line properly fused, so there is no danger of harming anything on the vehicle.

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Ken

1 - 13 of 13 Posts