Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over Thanksgiving I went to Utah, while I was there they got a really good load of snow, so of course I had to go play in it. :D

I ended up stoping in about 1 1/2 feet of snow. When I went to pull out my tires just started spinning. So I put it into Auto and gave it some gas, but when the tires started spining again I was getting all kinds of noise (vibration, and grindng). So then I tried 4H got the same noises.

I ended up flooring it, and I crawled out of the snow. I just was not sure if the sounds were normal or not. It didn't sound like just the ABS. I don't use the 4WD very much, just want to make sure it wasn't something abnormal. Any input? :confused:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,213 Posts
I think you were hearing the VDC/ABLS working. That noise normal when you have poor traction.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
89 Posts
Never heard the noise...but the dealer told me that it will do "strange things" if unable to get any traction from any wheel. So he said the only thing to at that point is to put it in 4wd and take VDC off and that way it will pull from all four wheels at the same time. I bet if you were outside the vehicle watching your event, I bet you that actual wheel spin was minimal.

My vote is NORMAL.

I think if you go MUDDING and/or heavy snow driving, I would perhaps disengage the VDC.

Would be interesting to retry the same situation with it off and see what it would do? Course now your home and likely away from snow.

Just a thought,

ST

scr38 said:
I think you were hearing the VDC/ABLS working. That noise normal when you have poor traction.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
438 Posts
Noises You Heard

If you got stuck before engaging 4 wheel drive or auto, what you heard is not normal. To fully engage the system there must be forward motion to engage the transfer case. What you heard were the splines trying to come together or mesh to lock. Next time you change your transfer case ATF I’m sure you may find a bit more metal shavings then normal on the magnet. It is always a good idea to engage before you get stuck. FYI: In deep or completely snow covered roads 4h is a much better option ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
60 Posts
RUN2 said:
Over Thanksgiving I went to Utah, while I was there they got a really good load of snow, so of course I had to go play in it. :D

I ended up stoping in about 1 1/2 feet of snow. When I went to pull out my tires just started spinning. So I put it into Auto and gave it some gas, but when the tires started spining again I was getting all kinds of noise (vibration, and grindng). So then I tried 4H got the same noises.

I ended up flooring it, and I crawled out of the snow. I just was not sure if the sounds were normal or not. It didn't sound like just the ABS. I don't use the 4WD very much, just want to make sure it wasn't something abnormal. Any input? :confused:

Need a little help from Triple here. On the TITAN board there has been a lot of tranny issues (which I know Triple has been following because he posts there a lot). I'm not saying what was heard is not normal, but it may expose the weakness to the Armada's 4 wheel drive system (excellent for the urban offroading). With the computer cutting the engine power, detereming which wheels need help (in AUTO) and the brakes slowing the spinning wheels, transferring the power across the open differentials to the other side, which may of course be spinning too, there may be a lot of "intelligent" (computer based) grinding going on. In Auto this may be worse because one would've likely entered the deep stuff in the AUTO determined 2 wheel mode. In 4 hi would maybe not have heard as much noise. That's where I miss my old 97 landcruiser. There is a disscussion on the TITAN board that maybe their tranny issues are because of the VDC and transmission design. One owner with failure suggests to lift your vehicle off the ground via the frame and watch the 4 wheel drive system struggle knowing what is going on(VDC gets confused). This would be similar to what happens when you high center your Armada. Now, there has been very few transmission failures with the Armadas, but we do not break loose with the rear traction nearly as much as the light rear end in a Titan pick up. Nissan should think about a softwear upgrade to VDC so that below 20 mph it does nothing. Part of it's design was to help unknowing driver's keep their beast on all four feet, going in a controlled manner, not a lot of trouble for most peeps when the speeds are slow, therefore the getting out of a stuck situation, the computer shuts up and lets the mechanically part of the 4 wd system work traditionally.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
117 Posts
SE Off Road1 said:
If you got stuck before engaging 4 wheel drive or auto, what you heard is not normal. To fully engage the system there must be forward motion to engage the transfer case. What you heard were the splines trying to come together or mesh to lock. Next time you change your transfer case ATF I’m sure you may find a bit more metal shavings then normal on the magnet. It is always a good idea to engage before you get stuck. FYI: In deep or completely snow covered roads 4h is a much better option ;)
if sure could be this. i had this problem with my grand cherokee too...but you definitly need to disengage the VDC to allow for the wheels to spin to get out off the muck


fiddlyD
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
89 Posts
I think you just turn VDC off if/when you get stuck. I for one, am going to use 4wd-H mode for all of my snow driving, b/c I want all 4 wheels pulling or at least the front and rear end pulling together and not have "AUTO" decide that for a moment it might be ok for me to be in RWD and then BAMM...back to 4wd again. I think another lister mentioned his improved snow traction with 4wd mode as opposed to AUTO mode. AUTO mode, the way I use it will only be used for heavy rain driving, where an unexpected hydroplane might occur.

I would agree that the 4wd system of the armada is tuned more for "urban" use as opposed to true off roading. If you want off roading, get a JEEP. I for one, have no plans on putting my $40,000 ride intentionally into a mud hole or thru the woods. But that is simply my $.02/worth. :boxing:

clu258 said:
So do I have to turn VDC off when I'm stuck or whenever I use 4WD?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input. I will keep the VDC issue in mind if it comes up again. I wasn't sure if it would be better with it off. But it seems to make sense when no wheel has traction.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,362 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top