Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Armada left us stranded last night. We were leaving my wife's parents house and stopped for gas on the way home. When we got on the freeway, the engine began stumbling, was very low on power, and wouldn't rev above about 2300 rpm. Immediately got off the freeway, and since we were only a couple of miles from my in laws house, drove back over there. When I stopped, the idle kept surging, and the car smelled like it was running very rich. Not good for a 45 mile drive home in the rain. No warning lights or any other information on the dash, all gauges looked normal.

Fortunately we are storing our backup car (2000 Maxima) at my in laws while we are renovating our house, so I parked the Armada in their driveway and we drove that car home instead. Figure on Friday I will drive up and assuming the Armada will start, will drive it over to my local mechanic for diagnosis and repair. But wondering if water in the gas would cause these symptoms. It is raining pretty good here his week, not usual for us in LA, so wondering if the gas was contaminated. But I only put 1/2 tank in the car, and it began stumbling within a few hundred yards of the gas station. If the gas were contaminated, would the symptoms come up that quick?

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Fortunately with the Armada down we still have transportation to get down to my family's house in San Diego today.

Keith

·
Super Moderator
5,025 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving bro. I think the 'mada was freaking out like "what is this wet stuff?!" :) I'm in LA too and the rain is welcomed here in hollywood to get the stench out... :p

could be anything bro. water is in petrol as you know. could be a random glitch that may never happen again.

i know you said no idiot lamps were on , but could have been a o2 sensor issue, MAF sent the wrong signal, ECM burped..

id wager a pint that there's a code stored and that should be your first clue.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update......went back to the car on Friday and it started right up. No stumbling or idling problems, ran like new. Hooked up my code reader, got a bad MAF code, but nothing current (surprised that hadn't triggered the CEL light). So decided to have my mechanic check it out anyway, plus I needed to get the oil changed. It drove great down to the shop. On Saturday got a call from the mechanic that he couldn't find anything wrong with it, other than the MAF code stored in memory. But he wanted to keep it until Monday when his senior mechanic was in to ensure he hadn't missed anything, particularly if there was an intermittent electrical issue. So, it's running perfect again, but we don't know what caused the original problem.

Maybe the car was just tired of driving in the rain and decided it wanted to take the night off.......

Will update on Monday......sure glad I have an extra car, particularly since one of my sons is home right now from college and wouldn't have been happy if there wasn't a car for him to drive.

Final (I hope) update....mechanic diagnosed an intermittent in the MAF. Replaced it and all is well. Only wish I would have had time to do that diagnosis and swap myself, as this cost $325 to repair, and I'm sure I could have done the repair for 1/3 of that cost. But, wife is happy that her car is running again, and now if it breaks again, it isn't my fault ("I told you to take it to the mechanic, but NOOOOO, you had to fix it yourself, now look what you've done!!!") :)

Keith

1 - 3 of 3 Posts